Good Master to Complement Raspy

thefinaltuba

Hey Guys,

So I've been running a Rasputina crew as one of my crews for a while now. I really enjoy them, but have a quick question. If I declare Arcanists as my chosen faction I only have one choice. And if the people I normally play with hear me choose Arcanists, they know what I'm bringing and can (hopefully subconsciously), choose some counters for me. It would be nice to have a master that complements her nicely so I have choices!

I also don't want to spend a fortune on new models, so would be nice to use a master that can make some use out of the models I already have. Here's the Arcanist models I currently have:

Rasputina

Wendigo

3 Ice Gamin

Ice Golem

3 December Acolytes

Gunsmith

3 Molemen

One of the downsides to Rasputina's Crew is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of crossover with other masters. The Acolytes seem pretty good overall, but what other masters could they synergize well with? And maybe there's no other masters that I can synergize well with and I just have to suck it up and buy all new models :P Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

And just to clarify, when I say synergize well with, I obviously don't mean during a game (as two masters obviously can't be in a same crew), but more like a master that is different enough that when I declare Arcanists my opponents don't know what strategy to prepare for, but can also take advantage of some of the models I already own. Thanks again.

You're right, Acolytes work well with everyone.

I would look at Marcus: He plays a very hard hitting and mobile game, and works very well with Molemen. Also, some of the models you don't have (like the Blessed of December or the Cerberus) work well with both Marcus and Raspy, so future expansions will have some overlap.

All solid sounding advice so far, thanks guys!

Just curious why Kaeris specifically is coming up? Seems like she really wants things to be burning and none of the guys I have inflict burning (except of course my ringer gunsmith :P). I like the recommendation cause I want Kaeris anyway, just curious what I should emphasize when i get her.

Just curious why Kaeris specifically is coming up? Seems like she really wants things to be burning and none of the guys I have inflict burning (except of course my ringer gunsmith :P). I like the recommendation cause I want Kaeris anyway, just curious what I should emphasize when i get her.

Kaeris needs burning a lot less than it seems. She certainly likes it if other things in her crew are throwing out burning, but student of conflict and/or the firestarter are enough burning to throw about for her crew. What Kaeris does is abuse scheme marker spam (with free mobility) like a boss, or provide a great healing bubble for your crew. She also has a nice flame wall ability. She's a support master rather than a damage dealing master primarily. She also has some great abilities that threaten models that bunch up, but overall, she's not amazing at dealing damage. She's reliable at getting some damage though, and is a bad day for spirit crews since she's all Ca and burning damage. 

But the big thing that contrasts her with raspy is how much grab and drop can run roughshod on any requirement to throw out scheme markers.

• Like 1

Sweet, thanks for the advice. Yeah on first glance, it definitely seems like "everything needs to be burning, why on earth are you not taking models that hand out burning!?!?!" so it's good to hear that in practice, it's not quite as required :)

Now I just need to wait for a new plastic box to come out, because how freaking cool is the picture in the crossroads book??? Damn.

Don't neglect the psychological impact of having two radically different masters you can choose. If your opponent knows you only have Rasputina and Kaeris (unlike a tournament setting where your opponent theoretically has everything), you're forcing them into a gamble on which master they can most effectively counter. My partner plays Von Schill and the Viks, and trying to build a list that counters both of their strengths is... an interesting tactical exercise.

But that's my logic. I ordered the Rasputina box during the Black Friday sale and I'm waiting with bated breath for the release of the Kaeris one.  :P

Here too!

Is there a place here where we can see what's coming up, in what order Wyrd is making Crews and miniatures, or is it all shrouded in Mystery and Smoke?

There is no official release schedule. Wyrd Chronicles usually lists next month's releases and sometimes we get a rough overview from, e.g., Warstore pre-orders but no one outside of Wyrd has any idea when Kaeris (for example) is coming out.
  • Like 1

Personally I would look at getting Marcus as your next master.  He is really versatile and between him and Raspy you should be able to do most strat/scheme combinations really well.  I play alot of Raspy and there isn't alot of "fluffy" crossover between masters but there are definitely models from each mast that can bring something to the table.  Don't be afraid to look into using Mercenary's as well, I recently added Ama Na Zako to my Raspy crew and she slotted in nicely.

*muttermutterdamnI'mSUREit'llbeouttheDayI'vecompletedpaintingaproxycrewmuttermuttermutter* ...  

*pout*

If I'm planning to buy a crew, I just use folded paper models as proxy. I photoshop the character art into the right dimensions, then glue two together, back-to-back, leaving a paper tab on the bottom that I can sticky-tack it to an empty base. It's not tournament legal, but nobody really cares when they know the box is coming out in a month or two. (Besides, I'd rather save the money I'd spend on a proxy army for more stuff from Wyrd. I don't have a problem. You have a problem.)

If you're tied to plastics, then Marcus is an excellent choice. There's a lot of the beasts already out in plastic, which covers most schemes and strategies. Rogue necro and a few other models that have had pre-releases should be out pretty quick, and you're left with the blessed, malifaux raptors, the mauler, shikome, night terrors, spawn mother, gupps and guild hounds as the only unreleased beasts. Decent list, but very little of the 'core' beasts there (blessed and night terrors are the two I find myself reach for the most with Marcus).