Dreamer's Otherworldy Upgrade - How Often Can Playtime Trigger?

Myth

Question

Dreamer's Otherworldly upgrade gives him the ability Playtime, which lets him give a model the following condition for a turn: "Playtime: After dealing damage with an Attack Action, draw 1 card."

So... how does this interact with attacks that can deal damage to multiple targets - or multiple times?

Basically, does the wording mean, "After an Attack Action deals (any amount of) damage (regardless of how many times it deals damage or how many models were damaged), draw a card" or does it mean, "Whenever an Attack Action deals (any instance of) damage, draw a card (for each instance of damage)"?

Some possible scenarios:

1) Tuco is given the condition, and fires his shotgun. With his blasts, he damages three enemies in total - the main target, and two other models hit by the blasts. Does this activate Playtime once (since the damage all happens simultaneously), or three times?

2) A Stitched Together is given the condition, and uses Gamble Your Life. It fails the duel and takes damage. Does this trigger Playtime? In other words, does this count as the Stitched Together dealing damage (to itself), or does it count as the opponent or targeted model as the one dealing damage?

3) Taelor is given the condition, and attacks with Hammerfall. She damages her primary target with the attack itself, and 3 other enemy models fail their Df duels and take damage from the 3" area of damage. Does this activate Playtime once (since it was all from the same attack), or 4 times (since 4 models were damaged) or twice (once for the initial damage from the attack, and once for when models were damage by the other part of the effect)?

4) A Young Nephilim is given the condition, and attacks. After damaging (activating Playtime and drawing a card), it also gets the Blood Frenzy trigger to attack again. If the second attack also hits and damages, does Playtime activate again to draw a second card?

5) If Dreamer was somehow able to hire Samael Hopkins, and give him Playtime, and Samael fired his Custom Revolver and got the Ricochet trigger (which damages a second model), would this activate Playtime once, or twice?

6 answers to this question

Interesting. Looks to me like each instance that a model is damaged is causing damage and you could then draw a card. I've flipped through the rule book and not found anything to point at but this from PG 51 of the LRB:

In Malifaux, how much harm a model inflicts on another model as a result of an Attack or other Action or Ability is represented as the damage (Dg) value.

In general, always assume the most reasonable interpretation. :P

I would assume it allows one draw per attack action. If that action triggered another attack action, that's a separate action which could also draw a card.

(This version also seems to have the simplest criteria - if you made an attack action and some damage was inflicted, draw one card.)

• Like 2

Hitting multiple models is not important here. Did you do damage yes draw a card.

Now if had this wording like the brutal effigy has then multiple models would draw multiple cards.

Fear Not the Sword: After damaging an enemy model with an Attack Action, this model heals 1 damage. After killing an enemy model, this model draws 1 card."

So that answers the majority of your questions.

On the stitched together it used an attack action. But I would say the enemy is the one doing the damage. Mainly since it is the one flipping the damage flip.

Each attack from blood frenzy is a separate attack action (albeit generated by an attack action) Therefore would draw a card every time it did damage.

On the stitched together it used an attack action. But I would say the enemy is the one doing the damage. Mainly since it is the one flipping the damage flip.

The Stitched Together attack action is written on Stitched Together's card so it's Stitched Together who is doing the damage. Notice also how it is the opposing player who is doing the damage flip and not target model.

Good point. But. I would argue that the opposing player did damage. Not the stitch together. I would also argue that a stitched being killed by this action would count towards reckoning.

But I would be wrong ofc

Q: If a model is killed by an Ability or Action, which Crew counts as having made the kill?

A: When a model is killed as the result of an Action, the Crew controlling the Action counts as having made the kill. If a model is killed by an Ability, the model with the Ability counts as having made the kill

So yes the stitched would draw a card from winning or losing.

• Like 1