TT Dream Team

lucius101

I myself am a big McCabe fan but generally he mostly comes out only for serious games right now.  As for 10T right now, they are sort of my "feel like it" group right now so I play them more for wanting to play a master than specific strategies at the moment.

That said both McCabe can be very strong at Stake a Claim as he has several potiental movement tricks that can get you across the center line with out activiting so you can drop your claim markers.  It also makes him fairly good at Squatter's right in my opinion as he can use the same tricks to get to them.  For Reckoning and Reconitter I imagine it depends more on your Scheme pool, as that will determine what options you need from your master's crew.  Misaki might be good at killing stuff but if the schemes don't fit her you can sub in another 10T master instead.  I think that might be the big thing with 10T, it is less what master to take with the Strategy as much as what Master can fulfill your Scheme pool better.  Most of them are not bad at given Strategies but some have much harder times with certain schemes.

Misaki might be good at killing stuff

I see variations on this quite a bit - maybe I'm spoiled by other Masters, but frankly I think Misaki is downright average at killing stuff in most circumstances. Once you've burned out your opponent's hand she can assassinate something, but anyone can see that coming from a mile off.

In the Ten Thunders alone, I would put Jakob, Mei and Shen ahead of her in the killiness ranking. Jakob is death on legs, and Mei and Shen are solid brawlers. Misaki is more opportunistic, and needs to avoid straight-up fights.

Outside of the Thunders, she can't hold a candle to the kind of destruction that focused killy Masters (McMourning, Viktoria, Sonnia, Rasputina) can unleash.

Bit off topic, sorry. It just caught my attention.

Whoever I brought with me.

I'm curious to see how more experienced players answer this. I still tend to play whoever I'm interested in at the time, I don't feel too compromised by any particular strategy with any particular Master. McCabe is my current favourite and his style is very flexible and fast. Eternalvoid makes an interesting point about schemes being the defining factor.

That said I like Yan Lo in Turf War, his crew has weight, a lot of hard-to-wound/ hard-to-kill and healing. Ashigaru Wall of Steel in a Toshiro 6" buff to push away enemy models. Izamu in the middle with his 3" melee and Yin outside the circle for Yan Lo to throw enemy models to.

Lynch makes a good Reckoning crew as they can really hand out the damage and with range (8") as well as being difficult to take down. And all those cards.

But really it's McCabe for everything.

As for Misaki it depends on your definition of killiness I guess, she won't kill as much as Lynch(I've never used Shen) and she will die but you should get to choose who dies with her. For me her greatest asset is probably Diving Charge. She can be where ever you want, attacking someone and if it's Stalked it's usually dead. Any use of Assassinate is often on the first opponent she engages because it's best done at the end of the turn when the opponents hand is low, once she's in the midst of it I'm usually activating her early to Diving Charge to the next position.

Shenlong is my default master.  I'll use him in any strat.  I think he's weakest at recon though because he likes to stay near his crew.

For recon I think Yan Lo would be a good one.  By turn 3 he's practically unkillable and doesn't need to be near his crew.  Also movement shenanigans with one of his spells (Lightning dance?)

Once he's out I think i'll start using Brewmaster for Turf War.  If you get inside his 6" bubble you're pretty much screwed.

I see variations on this quite a bit - maybe I'm spoiled by other Masters, but frankly I think Misaki is downright average at killing stuff in most circumstances. Once you've burned out your opponent's hand she can assassinate something, but anyone can see that coming from a mile off.

In the Ten Thunders alone, I would put Jakob, Mei and Shen ahead of her in the killiness ranking. Jakob is death on legs, and Mei and Shen are solid brawlers. Misaki is more opportunistic, and needs to avoid straight-up fights.

Outside of the Thunders, she can't hold a candle to the kind of destruction that focused killy Masters (McMourning, Viktoria, Sonnia, Rasputina) can unleash.

Bit off topic, sorry. It just caught my attention.

Perhaps that might be something for me, I almost NEVER go for the Assassination trigger unless the stars have aligned.  I don't pursuit it and only take if it ends up falling that way.  I also generally take near full SS with her so I can subliment her survivability, my hand, or help my henchmen if I take one.  I also generally don't throw her at anything that can use Soulstones to prevent unless I have already drained their pool, I am trying to drain their pool, or I suspect even with SS as things are I can take it.

For her killing potiential I go with the Stalking Bisento so that I can get Positive to hit and damage against my chosen target.  With the positive flips and her Ml7 it is not hard for her to hit her target as generally a 9-10 is enough your opponent cannot stop you unless they really burn a good card or they feel it is not worth using said card.  With the positive damage she is generally getting strait damage on most targets, which lets me make sure I at least get a Moderate result for the 4 damage.  4 Damage is that real sweet spot which generally kills most models in 2 hits unless they have Hard to Kill.  To that extent I use her like a scalpel to shave my enemy's crew of models.  She is the sort that can pretty easily kill 1 model a turn which makes it easier to score for Reckoning as you then just need the ability to pick off one other.  And for Reconitter she can work down a quarter pretty well with little support as long as you don't shoot yourself in the foot with targets.  I will agree in terms of High Wound count damage *McMourning and Viks* Or clean out an area *Raspy and Sonnia* she really lags behind but I generally I see her better at brawling than Mei Feng though who is really hurt by her primary attacks being Ml6, same with Lynch as while dead with his gun is again only Sh6.  I mean in the Grand scheme of things you could argue that TT as a whole lack the AOE death of Raspy and Sonnia and the Buzzsaw death of the Viks or Lady J, we just don't have those sort of masters.

But back to what I said before, if I am not dead set on playing a master I tend to pick them based on Schemes rather than Strategies with TT.  I rarely take Misaki to for Assassination, if anything I might take her because my opponent might be tricked into thinking I am going for assassination.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know this conversation's been dead, but I thought I'd defend my favorite master, Misaki, real quick...

I pretty much just run TT. Misaki is my favorite (despite the rest of you, apparently ;D).

I occasionally run McCabe if there is absolutely nothing combat-y going on, but otherwise I usually stick to Misaki.

She isn't the most kill-y master out there, but running her with stalking bisento and misdirection makes her one of the more annoying masters (especially late turn when you have a mid-range mask; I've passed off negative flips that have killed masters due to misdirection).  Plus, if they don't deal with her, she is kill-y enough to kill stuff if left to her own devices, combine that with a crew that's mostly support or scheme-runner-y and she can hold up the majority of the enemy for a few turns while the rest of my crew solidifies all the VPs I need to win.

I've recently been running her with Ama and either a small group of Archers and Yamaziko (with the archer upgrade) or with a swarm of brothers, monks, oiran or torakage (depending exactly on what scenes are being played).  She works independently from the crew, but with support pieces around her, she can keep the enemy tied up for a long time (or at least kill off a good number of things and leave the enemy limping for the rest of the game).

• Like 1

I've been using Misaki for most of the strats, and really like her ability to travel from combat to combat. She may not be the best at outright killing things, but she can choose when and where she gets in combat and her ability to charge so well actually makes her good at scheme running. Charge a weak model, kill it and then drop the marker or go defensive. I tend to find my opponent has to change up their plans to deal with her. I just don't like her in assassinate because she tends to die in most games.

I have recently been loving yan lo in any game where resilience is key. With the healing and ability to make others more defensive he is great in turf war. Lightning dance is great for things like squatters rights and recon.

I've mostly been using Lynch at the moment for everything just because i want to include the hungering darkness more than considering  the schemes or strategies.

Still getting the hang of the schemes and strategies so that may change have had a few successes with Mcabe who seems good for anything where you need to be mobile.

I tend to rotate a lot, I do consider I have a very solid grasp on Mei Feng and she is a very good neutral since she can always do something. I love Shenlong and McCabe to pieces too, but I'm just not as good with them or haven't used them enough to get there, I do consider they have a ton of potential though.

Jakob and Misaki are also loved by me though they spring less to mind. Jakob is always strong, no doubt, Misaki feels more like a specialty piece but gets stuff done for sure.

Brewmaster is probably my lowest used and tends to be kind of forgotten and Yan Lo, though I know he can become a beast, tends to give me mixed results (I think I go too much into crazy blasty death and not enough support shenanigans...)

I haven't run any of the models that aren't out yet (I have a certain dislike for using proxies... not entirely sure why, but I do).  But I really want to try Shenlong out.  He seems pretty awesome.

I've run a lot of McCabe and Yan Lo, though not as much as Misaki, they both definitely have their strengths.  I win more with Misaki, but I think that's just because I've had the most practice with her... and that seems to be a big part of this game, being familiar with the models and what they can do.

• Like 1

Misaki can be decently killy but not in the same vein as the Viks or Lady J.  That said with the right upgrades she should be able to generate some pretty brutal amount of death if you are willing to commit.  The other thing I always suggest with Misaki is not to play her low SS pool, just cause she gets a bonus for running out of stones does not mean you should be gambling on it.  Damage prevention can help her alot.

• Like 1