base problem

pantomime_cat

I've just finished glueing together the crew, Body of Evidence.  I used plastic cement to attach the figures to the bases.  I now regret it.  I am at a loss on how to complete a decent base, since the models are literally welded on, and can't be removed.  Any suggestions?

Is it possible to cut the supplied bases, removing the lip, and go from there?  Or am I looking for trouble.  I do not have a lot of experience, and this is my 1st plastic miniature.  

Thanks everyone.  My original plan was to just put some modeling sand down, and a couple of small rocks (kitty litter), to the base up to the little ridge of the base.  This is my first miniature, and my first ever plastic miniature, in a long time.  I wanted to keep it simple.  

But after mounting the Nurses, I noticed the detail of the high heels and the general small size of the feet.  At this point, I just want the base to be flush. After looking around, I wish I would have gone for a stone floor look.  

I think i'll try some of the options graciously given above and try to remove  the canine remains model, and go from there.  I'm getting anxious to paint,though.  Messing with those stilettos makes me anxious.   

To keep it simple, I would be happy  a nice finished look, preferably a flush look, but I'm open. 

I see a couple things you can do.  First as Clement pointed out you can use small thin modeling sand even while a model is already attached.  I actually do that for my neverborn, as I went with a white gray sandy base for them.  I glue the model down then put down a thin layer of watered down tacky glue on the base before putting it into a small measuring cup with the sand in it.  Twist and turn and the base is below the sand line and the sand bonds.  I generally give it a couple minutes then remove it from the sand and check it over carefully with a thin tipped tool in hand *often a hobby knife*.  I then scrape off any of the sand and glue that got onto the model itself and press down on some spots to make it flatter, generally around the feet.  As the glue is not completely dry it is pretty easy to remove any mistakes and not damage the model.  Overall works well for me.

For the stone, I can think of a few options for you.  The first is put down a very thin layer of green stuff across the base.  Give it 5-6 minutes.  Then using a hobby knife or sculpting tool carve around in the green stuff making the lines in the stone.  Another option is GW's Agrellan Earth.  A couple people have posted different effects they have done with the stuff here on the forums.  Here are a few that I found real fast in the Search:
http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102032-anythingbuts-arcanists-corner/?hl=%2Bagrellan+%2Bearth
http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/82508-viruks-paintlog/page-28

Sadly I have not used the stuff for this purpose but both threads give an account of them using the stuff.  You might be able to use it for your bases despite the models being on them.

• Like 1

For the stone, I can think of a few options for you.  The first is put down a very thin layer of green stuff across the base.  Give it 5-6 minutes.  Then using a hobby knife or sculpting tool carve around in the green stuff making the lines in the stone.  Another option is GW's Agrellan Earth.  A couple people have posted different effects they have done with the stuff here on the forums.  Here are a few that I found real fast in the Search:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102032-anythingbuts-arcanists-corner/?hl=%2Bagrellan+%2Bearth

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/82508-viruks-paintlog/page-28

that  Agrellan Earth looks nice, plus it's already painted.  Great suggestion, if I can get a hold of it. Otherwise I'll go with what you and Clement suggested with model sand.  

For sand, I can't recommend gerbil bathing sand enough. It's very fine-grained (so looks like actual ground as opposed to small rocks on minis' scale), it's ridiculously cheap from a pet store and it clumps a bit if you want it to so you can build shapes with it and it won't fall off as easily. Superb stuff!