Climbing

Math Mathonwy

Question

A couple of questions about climbing spurred by today's game.

If you start base to base with a building with a ladder

1) the building is 3.5" high but we decided that it's Ht 3. Will the climb take six or seven inches of movement?

2) Does the climb movement only include the vertical component (and you need to move horizontally as well to get to the roof proper)? Can your base be left "hanging"?

9 answers to this question

1. If you decided it is ht 3, then it is 6". Vertical height is usually considered to be much more flexible than other hts.

2. My guess(and this is a guess, based on M1.5, so likely wrong) is that, given that you start the move in base contact with the ladder, it is 6", and then a free move equal to base width over onto the top of the building. If for no other reason than it doesn't require you to keep track of position beyond where the model actually is.

I could have sworn the free move was official in M1E, but I could have been taking the forum's word for it.

That being said, Even if it wasn't, I'd still rather have it as a house rule, simply to keep bookkeeping simple as possible.  I'd rather have a free "flip" to everyone than have to keep track of who is hanging where. YMMV, I guess.

We had a specific situation of Mr. Graves trying to climb a Ht 2 wall, which takes 4" of movement and Math thought that he needed to use double walk to get that 4" and then enough away from the wall to fit his base which takes movement, so it would go over 5" to get him to the other side, I thought he would be able to use 4" to get up and then 1" to drop down, we threw a dice on it and rolled with it but we were quite lost on how the ruling actually goes in that situation :D 

We had a specific situation of Mr. Graves trying to climb a Ht 2 wall, which takes 4" of movement and Math thought that he needed to use double walk to get that 4" and then enough away from the wall to fit his base which takes movement, so it would go over 5" to get him to the other side, I thought he would be able to use 4" to get up and then 1" to drop down, we threw a dice on it and rolled with it but we were quite lost on how the ruling actually goes in that situation :D

Aye, because Graves really couldn't stop atop the fence.

Did we have anything else that has come up with the elevation rules Math?

Well, we have apparently been doing it differently the whole time (you and me, that is) since I have always included the horizontal movement while you've gone with Dracomax's style.

But then there's also the shooting thing - if a there's a 10" long Ht 2 building and a model is on the roof at one end of it while another (Ht 1) model is at the other end next to the building on the ground, the models apparently see each other, right? Since there are no "shadow" rules anymore. Which is weird but then again I understand the simplicity.

Actually they can't see each other. The diagonal line you would draw for LoS from a side view would cross through the edge of the building your model was standing on, which is still treated as blocking terrain, unless the model on top is within their own Ht from the edge that the LoS line crossed through.

Look at the diagram on Pg 41 of the big rule book, and read the right most text block on the diagram.

• Like 1

Actually they can't see each other. The diagonal line you would draw for LoS from a side view would cross through the edge of the building your model was standing on, which is still treated as blocking terrain, unless the model on top is within their own Ht from the edge that the LoS line crossed through.

Look at the diagram on Pg 41 of the big rule book, and read the right most text block on the diagram.

Thanks, yeah, that's a good one!