Suvalas' Small-scale Showcase

Suvalas

Hello Forum-Goers,

I've decided to create a PLOG to follow the progress of my Malifaux journey with the Outcasts. 

Hopefully this will encourage me to paint more, although the mini's are so lovely I shouldn't need much help. 

There's not much (re: nothing painted) to go on so far, but I at least have the Hired Swords and Vanessa constructed and on their bases. Now that my recent house move is complete, I'm hoping to get some colours down this weekend.

20140527_174813.jpg

20140527_174734.jpg

20140527_174924.jpg

20140527_174949.jpg

That's it for now, I'll try and take less blurry pictures once the paint is on :)

Suvalas Out

Not 100% on the scheme yet. I think they are going to be individually painted, like the artwork, but might mix up the colours. Definitely want to trial a variety of schemes though.

Thanks for the tip on photography, I'll have a hunt around for something more neutral to photo against. 

The blurriness is due to lack of "depth of field", meaning that the range from near to far of what can be in focus is very shallow. It's probably due to the fact that you don't have enough light, however. What you will usually want to do is set the camera fully to Manual mode, zoom ALL the way in, and then just move the camera as close to the models as you can get with still being about to Auto-focus on them. At that point, move the camera itself back in order to frame your shot better. And remember, the closer the camera, the more light you need. 

For all white or very light-colored models, yes, a neutral background is better. For neutral to dark models, I prefer white. The bouncing of light off the background and "floor" of the photo area helps eliminate some shadows in difficult areas, like around the belt or under the chin.

Hope that helps!

To be more specific, if your camera has manual setting the aperture to a smaller hole (when the x in "f/x" has a larger value) gives more depth of field (and also lets less light into the camera). There is usually a light meter in a camera with manual settings that shows if it needs more light (or getting to much), adjust the shutter speed until that is centred. If you you set the shutter speed to slower then 1/60 or so you will want a tripod and a remote or use the delayed release function, otherwise you'll get blurriness from the camera moving.

• Like 1

@ Monkeyboy and BenGT

Much appreciate the additional photography tips. I love the theory behind things like this, and you've explained it well. I'm only using a camera phone atm, but it does have some of the functions that you mention. I will try some of them out tonight, following your advice.

I finally got some paint down on the first Ronin last night. Glad to get started, I knew the detail was small, but wow, gonna take some steady hands!

I'll take an updated photo tonight with my tweaked settings ;)

@ Vaiuri: hopefully you'll like the progress

Wow dude she really does look green! Has the camera flash bounced off in a wierd way?

I'm liking the contrast between the hair and her outfit, good choice of colours. Don't worry about the little bands of detail around the legs so much at the moment, I'd get those layers underneath put down first. Start off with the skin maybe, then legs, body, hair and details.

What colours are you thinking of for the other two?

The first impression I had was that she was very 'Simpsons'. It was just something I was trying and fully intend to highlight up towards a normal skin colour. I figured their slightly Asian look might go well with an olive shade underneath.

The flash does make it look brighter though.

That's pretty much the order I did with the base colours, so I'm glad you mention a similar tack.

For the other two, I want one of them to have a sarker skin tone, and follow up with some yellows/oranges for the dress.

The other I might play around with cream or red. Or both!

This one definitely is my practice model though, so I was sticking with colours I know. (Olive skin aside)

1 Ronin finally done :)

Hopefully the shot is a little better, and also that she is less green in colour lol.

Still plenty of opportunity for me to paint more neatly on future models I believe.

Not sure which of the Hired Swords to paint next, a decision to be made at work tomorrow perhaps...

Ronin1.jpg

Suvalas

I definitely think it's the lighting thats bringing out the green, her skin is perfect in the flesh (so to speak!).

She looks great finished! Are you going to try another Ronin, or maybe one of the Viks?

I think it is likely to be you and Swig playing in Friday btw :-)

Will have to see what the next ones look like without the Khaki base. I used Photoshop last night to 'correct' the colouring on the final picture. The options on there are more flexible than on my camera itself.

I was considering either the Student of Conflict, or a second Ronin. Going to save the Viks till nearer the end, to allow myself some practice beforehand.

Me vs Swiglitz on Friday sounds ace! :)

One thing about flash is that it is designed to be used from 15 feel away. That's why it's so powerful when you're that close to the model. If you have to be that close, try putting something over the flash to diffuse it... A tissue, a piece of printer paper... anything white. Paper is translucent and will also diffuse well. Just experiment a little and see what works best for you with what you have lying around.

One thing about flash is that it is designed to be used from 15 feel away. That's why it's so powerful when you're that close to the model. If you have to be that close, try putting something over the flash to diffuse it... A tissue, a piece of printer paper... anything white. Paper is translucent and will also diffuse well. Just experiment a little and see what works best for you with what you have lying around.

Thanks for the info Monkeyboy. I had no idea about the 15feet flash thing, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. Might not help that I didn't have a light to shine on the model, rather than using the flash. 

Until I get a light sorted, I will have a play with something as a filter like you suggest.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Long time no post, pretty much a month which is quite bad. On the plus side, I do have more than one model to show off.

So without further adieu;

Updated Ronin #1

20140801_181249.jpg

Updated Student

20140801_181147.jpg

20140801_181158.jpg

Updated Taelor

20140801_181121.jpg

Ronin #2

20140801_181237.jpg

Ronin #3

20140801_181216.jpg

Vanessa

20140801_181133.jpg

Viktoria of Ashes

20140801_181058.jpg

Viktoria of Blood

20140801_181029.jpg

Group Shot

20140801_180955.jpg

Sorry for the image spam, hopefully you like.

Part way through painting Lazarus at the moment, then a choice of 5 after that. 

Suvalas

• Like 3

Glad you guys like them. Quite fond of the Red Head and Vik of blood myself. Not used to painting red, so I was pleased that the Vik of blood turned out so well. She has a paint job that I'm proud of. Thanks enough for all the work she's given me in my games :)

Glad you like the OSL on Vanessa, Vaiuri. It's quite subtle, and was my first real attempt. The turquiose is a lovely colour to work with, and I'm glad I've picked it as my common colour between models.

Pic of Lazarus to come later, and I have made a start on Killjoy!

Suvalas

....and Lazarus. Stood next to a recently finished wall. 

20140804_194541.jpg

In other news, just returned from the shop to find a poor, innocent Convict, partially disarmed on the floor.... fortunately we have a lead. If anyone see's the beast below, please do not approach. Alert the authorities. He's both fearsome and unscrupulous!

IMG-20140804-WA00031.jpg

I'm going to have to magic up a new gun barrel.

Suvalas

• Like 1