Playing a "bit" more competitively

Hi I'm fairly new to Malifaux and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm looking for some advice on playing a bit more competitively without being "a dick" about it. Generally speaking I play  malifaux for the fun, the fluff and the social side of it. I've got no problem losing 9 time out of 10 as long its a laugh.

But I've found lately that I'm facing a few people who take things more seriously. Which I'm guessing its not too exciting for them to play someone who picks their crew by thinking that looks fun. And i'd prefer if there isn't going to be any banter during the game I shouldn't worry about pushing for the win.

I play guild so on paper I have everything I need to be competitive but I struggle looking the game that way.

A few thing are obvious like picking my crew for the schemes and strategies flipped not because I prefer certain models fluff.  :huh:

But things like deployment and activation order I know I should think more about. Also do I aim to pick up VP early on or focus more on killing off the opposing crew?

Any advice would be great, sorry about rambling on a bit.

There's a ton of things I could say here, but the easiest thing I can do is to point you at a great resource:

http://guessingzero.com/category/games/malifaux/

Read these guys "Fridaux" articles, and you'll come away with a much greater understanding of the mechanics of the game, and how to bend them to your desires.

In answer to your question -- you always want to be thinking about where your VPs come from. "How am I going to get a VP this turn?" If you can figure out how to get 2 VPs, that's even better! If you need to plan on how to get 3 in turn 5, then start planning in turn 1. And if getting VPs means killing your opponents models (Reckoning, Reconnoiter, some Schemes) then absolutely do that. But if getting VPs means losing your own models (Frame for Murder!) then start planning on how to get a guy to die. :P

On activation order - I tend to have 1-2 models that are in a "critical position". Whether that's because they're going to die this turn and I need to activate them first, or because I need them unactivated so that they remain a threat, these models activations need to be planned out. From there, you have everything else in your crew, and there is certainly a best order to activate in, but I'd focus on those 1-2 critical models each turn first.

Deployment is funny because it changes based on your chosen crew, chosen Schemes, Scheme pool (from which your opponent picks) and Strategy. Advice on this is a long essay, and I should get up and go to work. :P

So first off playing competitively isn't a bad thing. Having a poor attitude and people skills do. That out of the way. Playing competively is fun, it makes you look at the nature of winning and losing the game.

Building list, the first step to playing more competively is

Play what you know best! A huge and shocking revelation I'm sure. But what you take is often less important than getting maximum value of your model. And you tend to early in the learning curve of competitive. Play do better with models you already know and focusing on every thing they do well and what they suck at and what you can have them do INA pinch.

2nd most important lesson the game is built on VP acquisition every action should be helping me to earn vps while denying my opponent vps.

3rdly select schemes based on your ability to complete them.

RYTHOS42 - Cheers for the link I'll give it a look. Planning around VP points and picking points each turn make sense and then that plan tells you what you need to activate etc. I'd guess that also dictates deployment as well when you know who is doing what you'll know who needs to go where.

RANCOR709 - I've got no problem with competitive play. I enjoy a challenging game you learn more and the hard games are the ones you remember. I'm just not very good at it. The only bad experience I've had playing malifaux was giving someone a "friendly" demo game and they were less than sporting to give them more credit then they deserve.

Playing what you know would probably make big difference i do have a habit of learning as i go. Pick the right schemes and work to complete them and stop opponent scoring.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get practicing.

As a somewhat newer player to M2E, the single biggest factor I've seen that wins games is thinking about how you can score victory points.  This means building your crew for the Strategy and scheme pool, and looking at your opponent's crew and identifying Scheme's you can complete.  If you have a strict dedication to scoring Victory Points when you play, and don't allow yourself to get distracted by your opponent, you can often stay in the game even when you are losing models left and right.

Thinking about victory points can win you games, I had a game with my C. Hoffman crew, where I essentially won because I ordered my Peacekeeper away from the front lines to clear my opponent's breakthrough objective markers with his pulse instead of making a push for the opposing Master.  Thinking through your activations and how to use what you have at your disposal to score victory points is huge. For example using your Master's activations to Obey a friendly model to move into base contact with an opposing Master in order to Deliver a Message will win you more games than just using all your Master's activations to kill the enemy.

The other huge factor is finding a master that suits your playstyle and instincts.  Malifaux enjoys a huge variety of playstyles and abilities on everything from the many Masters to the countless support models.  Finding a crew that fits you will go a long way towards improving your game as you start out.   Even within Guild all of the Master's play very different from one another, and finding the one who *fits* your instincts as a player will make a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up on this. I've managed to get a few games in recently. Tried to push myself to play against people I know are good players.

Managed a catastrophic defeat. But it was fun a I could see where I went wrong, so good time had all round.

Most recently took a bit more time over picking crew etc and managed a close win with a lot of back and forth between us.

Cheers for the advice. 

Even if you choose a crew that is sub-optimal for the strat/schemes due to what you have available or is simply what you feel like using, you might just find uses for models that you hadn't conceived of before. Plus accomplishing a draw or a win with a more challenging crew is both satisfying and nets you extra IRL XP.

Technically we're all playing to win (or perhaps just learning about how new toys work) but Malifaux is a great game where every model has it's place and usually has some utility to help with the strat & schemes at hand. Some of the funnest games I've had have been at tournaments. The only way you're not doing it right is if one or both of you aren't having fun... like a lot of things really  :lol: