Help with the Hoff

Gipsy_Danger

So I picked up C. Hoffman's box last weekend and now that I've got him put together I was wondering, what does everyone find he's best at? He seems like he could own Turf War pretty well, but what other Strategies or Schemes do you find he's best at? And what do you like to run with him? He seems like a very fun Master to play, any tips or tricks to help me get going?

Hoffman does pretty much everything to be honest. I think he excels at strategies where it does not need to be at several places in the board. So Turf war and Reckoning come to mind as the two he excels at. That being said he does not do to bad at other strategies as you can take a cluster of two/three constructs with him while the remaining go on their own. He also gets cheap constructs he can use with good mobility such as watchers which he can improve with programmed directive or nimble to do the scheme marking dropping while he focus on are control and killing the opponent key models  

A fun thing to do is take a heavy hitting construct like a Peacekeeper, and Machine puppet it up the field, if you use On Site Assimilation and Field Mechanic, you can get three walks in and if you are lucky, you can get an extra 4 inches from Take New Position and fast from Repeat Program, and then give them Nimble, or armour +1, or  + :ram, and then have them move up and charge or flurry an important enemy model, like the enemy master if assassinate is on the table. It leaves both Hoffman and the heavy hitter both in the middle of the enemy crew, but you've probably just taken out something important and Hoffman is actually really durable if he's close enough to borrow armour and you have his totem power looped, and if you have the points, Killjoy is hilarious to have, because if they kill either model, he pops out and goes to town.

I always give him a Guardian because the Protect action helps his survivability so much. It's not a bad model to Power Loop, too. I also like taking a pair of Watchers and putting the Hydraulics modification on one and the Programmed Directive modification on another. This makes them both fast scheme runners and if you make sure to hit the trigger on Update Hardware it only costs 1 AP and Hoffman's 0 action to get them out.

I was recently looking at Sidir as a potential henchman for Hoffman. Mainly for the apparent synergy between the 'Field Mechanic' and 'Promises'. Basically Hoffman hands out upgrades, and Sidir gives free +flips. The only real downside is it doesn't work with the mechanical attendant, and he doesn't loop in. Does anybody have any experience with this combo?

Field mechanic only work with constructs so Sidir cannot receive the upgrades  

He isn't supposed to. He can take "Promises" which gives boni to models with Upgrades. Which can be anyone else in a Hoff Crew, as he can give upgrades to the models who need the bonus.

Whelp. That's awesome. Let's take a look at Sidir and what he brings to (not) the loop.

Sidir is a Henchman, so he'd probably take Ryle's spot. He's got Ruthless so he can't be terrified. Df5 wp8, decent wounds. He can't be moved or pushed (so no Lures). And he's got a decent chance of catching a riposte. 10 wounds. 0 action heal. Durable. He himself is probably worth his points.

Offensively he's got a sh7 attack with a secondary attack on a trigger. The ram is something you'll probably want to cheat in with the peacekeeper for extra critical goodness, but if you luck into it or have a good midrange ram (due to his high shooting) you might be seeing some lead in the air. He's got the mrityu blade at ml 6 which is still very good. So he's good in melee, and brings some ranged attacks that a hoffman crew is mostly missing.

He's got a tactical action that can hand out damage and slow to an area- you just fire off a volley at someone and on a 5 up you could cause a lot of tests.

And finally his upgrades. for 1 stone he's giving models with upgrades attached a  :+fate to melee and wp duels. Gives you a better chance at resisting terrifying, and you have a ton of melee beaters in there.  His other one is 1 stone "by your side" which allows him to jump in front of a bullet once per turn. He can't be healed by scrap... but he can heal himself. And in a pinch- When armor, LOS blocking, scrap healing, and movement isn't enough- a personal bodyguard might be kinda nice.

Fully upgraded, for 11 stones, you have ranged support, a slow giving ability, healthy, area buffing, meatshield. 

And he's not Frank.