AdeptiCon Musings from the TO

Yeah, It is great fun. Treat it as such!

I was on the team you guys played in the last game of the team tournament last year (Perdita + Viks w/ Von Schill). After carefully metering my intake for the whole day, you guys shared with me a 4oz glass and it definitely pushed me over the line!

Your combo was great, we saw it and we didn't complain about it. We simply said, "Darn it! Why didn't we think of that!" The team tournament is just a fun venue of saying, "wouldn't it be great if..." My friend and I had a great time in every single team game, and it was really an amazing day.

So thanks for the great game last year, bro!

I remember the game well... There was a hill in the middle and both sides were like... "YOU GO FIRST OVER IT! NOT ME!"

And then at the end, we left, I think, a belle hanging in your deployment zone that allowed you to shoot her off the board taking away some scheme points that I honestly thought cost us the tourney on points.

I will say one thing that was disappointing was that you chose a scheme that I think, in hindsight, should have screwed us with our dog-killing, but the scheme card that was on hand was worded in such a way that Raoul saw that it would not and the judges agreed.

BUT... In reading afterwards, I could not find a single other person's card or rule-book phrasing that was quite the same that allowed it to be such that if I killed his dog that you would not get first blood... (Or whatever the situation was)

Even still close and fun game that I obviously remember fondly even if we had wound up losing. 

This past saturday, ran into one of the guys we played on the sewer board and we reminisced.... Just another illustration of how much fun the whole experience was.

I hope people that were in this year had the same pleasant memories. (Sorry I was not there to rain whiskey on the proceedings but I had to get my brains beat in by warmachine that day, but had a blast in the 1.5 story... Thanks again Greg)

• Like 1

Droachmega, are you referring to the achievement league?  There was in fact a gaslight league, and I would call it a resounding success!

I did not stick around long enough to find out how many participated, but there were at least a few dozen that I know of.  :)

Note: Sean, your idea for terrain cards is awesome and I plan to implement it (probably to the hisses of our Adepticon terrain masters) ASAP for next year.  *grin*

• Like 1

The gaslight achievement has always been a weekend long event. Last year we had volunteers willing to take the night shift. This year we only had Saturday with someone willing to do that. If I have more volunteers next year willing to stay up with the room (hint hint), we can have 24 hour access again.

Ok, that's what I figured. I'll see what my schedule is for next year, so put me as a maybe on the volunteer list. If aCon moves to a larger location and, we get a bigger room, it will be a great opportunity to get those up late in for a demo.

Adepticon going to a bigger place probably wont happen soon.  The Westin is tight but its basically all they got in the area.  Its basically a big step up financially to get to a bigger place without relocating the con significantly. 

As far as all night play.  We had one valiant and crazy person to run all night the first year we did it but its really a shitty shift for most people.  In theory all night is great, except that you end up sitting around for hours in the middle bored out of your mind. 

Adepticon going to a bigger place probably wont happen soon. The Westin is tight but its basically all they got in the area. Its basically a big step up financially to get to a bigger place without relocating the con significantly.

As far as all night play. We had one valiant and crazy person to run all night the first year we did it but its really a shitty shift for most people. In theory all night is great, except that you end up sitting around for hours in the middle bored out of your mind.

I'm aware as I am friends with those that ran the late shift last year.

Terrain cards is a a great idea.  I actually wanted to design my board for Adepticon with that idea in mind, and if you do decide to go that route for next year, I will specifically design stuff to take advantage of the various terrain types that Malifaux offers.  I've already been brainstorming a couple of ideas already, even though its a year away. :)

Yeah, It is great fun. Treat it as such!

I was on the team you guys played in the last game of the team tournament last year (Perdita + Viks w/ Von Schill). After carefully metering my intake for the whole day, you guys shared with me a 4oz glass and it definitely pushed me over the line!

Your combo was great, we saw it and we didn't complain about it. We simply said, "Darn it! Why didn't we think of that!" The team tournament is just a fun venue of saying, "wouldn't it be great if..." My friend and I had a great time in every single team game, and it was really an amazing day.

So thanks for the great game last year, bro!

That is probably one of my favorite games a Malifaux ever!  I clearly remember most of it even a year later.

I remember the game well... There was a hill in the middle and both sides were like... "YOU GO FIRST OVER IT! NOT ME!"

And then at the end, we left, I think, a belle hanging in your deployment zone that allowed you to shoot her off the board taking away some scheme points that I honestly thought cost us the tourney on points.

I will say one thing that was disappointing was that you chose a scheme that I think, in hindsight, should have screwed us with our dog-killing, but the scheme card that was on hand was worded in such a way that Raoul saw that it would not and the judges agreed.

BUT... In reading afterwards, I could not find a single other person's card or rule-book phrasing that was quite the same that allowed it to be such that if I killed his dog that you would not get first blood... (Or whatever the situation was)

Even still close and fun game that I obviously remember fondly even if we had wound up losing. 

This past saturday, ran into one of the guys we played on the sewer board and we reminisced.... Just another illustration of how much fun the whole experience was.

I hope people that were in this year had the same pleasant memories. (Sorry I was not there to rain whiskey on the proceedings but I had to get my brains beat in by warmachine that day, but had a blast in the 1.5 story... Thanks again Greg)

The dog killing can be explained as such:  The scheme card said that the viks would get 2 vp if the first two models to die belonged to the opponent, one of us(Gruesom and I) was nominated as the opponent.  Then on turn 1 activation 5 or 6 we used Sebastian to Bloody Harvest the dogs being sure to resolve the damage first against the one of us who'se dogs were not nominated for first blood; thus breaking the scheme.  I felt kind of dirty doing it but some whiskey chased the nasty taste out of my mouth and we were happy to share some with our frenemies across the table :-)  Then you got sword vik over the hill and into choppy choppy mode against dead rider, a rogue necro, and I think Izamu.  We were lucky to escape that situation.  You got one thing wrong though Gruesome, we won that event by the thickness of a bottle label. 

Sorry I couldn't make it this year, turns out I'm dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized your name is "Shadowopal", a bad-ass form of gemstone, and not "Shadowpal", boy sidekick to an occult superhero. I will try and make the mental shift, but honestly, I'd rather try and convince you to drop the offending vowel. Whatcha think? :)

I'm in on this thread late, but I wanted to say I enjoyed the con very much and will absolutely be back next year. I'm going to GenCon because I liked Adepticon so much; does that make sense outside my own head? The lovely terrain is part of it. I played on two of the controversial (?) tables (Lilith's forest once, and the sewer twice), and it was all so pretty, I was enthralled through any curve balls the terrain might have thrown. A table that looks as nice as the miniatures on it is a great thing.

TDS: I will respond to either ;). But I do prefer badass gemstone to boy sidekick. Plus my real initials are SO. So it is just easier for me to remember when I am signing real estate documents in my superhero persona.

Glad you had a good time. That is my goal every year. Also glad you enjoyed the sewer table. That's one of mine and I enjoy playing on it too. I have some bits to make it even better next year. See you at GenCon.

As someone who has never been to a con for table tops or competed in tournamnets, what information should I know or what preperations should I make if I wanted to attend adepticon next year?  I'm interested, but I just started.  With just missing it I feel within a year I could be fully prepped.  Any links or advice?

You will want a tray to carry your faction from table to table.  You will want:

Soap and Deodorant so you don't contribute to the stereoype that all gamers are smelly

Comfortable shoes 

A good attitude because Malifaux people are cool.

Lots of sleep beforehand as you won't want to sleep much during the convention.

Money to buy cool stuff in the vendor's Hall and food.

Snacks.

IN case the convention does not provide a bag....a bag to carry all the cool stuff you will buy at the vendor hall.

Extra dry erase markers, tape measure, pen for filling forms out, fate deck rulebook......

Other than that.....just have fun.  Cons are fantastic fun if you just take the opportunity to meet new folks and enjoy the games. Don't let the competition get in the way of the fun.

• Like 2