Lack of Ranged Weapons in Neverborn

Kealios

How do you plan on dealing with this?

Exactly two models have ranged weapons: Lilith's Malifaux Cherub totem, and Candy, who is Unique. Do we really need to rely on Mercenaries? While having a Ronin in a Neverborn Crew would be cool, I dont think it is very fluffy (but then again, with the game being so new, what do I know of fluffy?!)

Other than that, we have a few offensive spells that can do ranged damage of a sort:

*Pandora and Candy's "Self-Loathing"

*Zoraida's "Obey"

*Doppelganger's "Mimic Spell" (which would really require you to know your opponent's list!)

We have some tricks for getting in close or protecting us from range:

*Mature Nephilim's "Carry" taxi ability

*Waldgeists "uproot" ability to take his cover with him (does this work with Lilith's "Illusionary Forest"? That would rock!)

*A few Harmless models (Doppelganger, Candy, Baby Kade, all of whom can reactivate it, but seem more suited to Pandora than Lilith)

*Some neat movement abilities:

-Lilith's Transposition, that can use a faster model to close in, and then swap places

-Baby Kade's "Where's Teddy" ability is similar, but since it costs 2 actions, would be used to get the Teddy closer rather than an advancing technique for Kade

-Candy's Run Away Home can allow her to close in on a target while unseen, and then all but pop out behind them without taking fire

-Silurid's Leap and the Nephilim's flying can do what Candy can, above, only better, and Teddy can get this too

All in all, Neverborn seems like a really strong melee army. They have some neat combos that are just begging to be used. I want to list some of those here:

Mature Nephilims' "Carry" is nice for airlifting a model, such as Lilith, over walls before her activation so she can get a nice charge in, but this needs to be done carefully because Lilith's "Brood Mother" action wont have gone off yet this turn (unless, once used, this lasts? Oooo....)

Pandora's long ranged "Emotional Trauma" combined with the Sorrow's shorter ranged "Emotional Stress". Combine Pandora's Fading Memory ability with Sorrow's Link ability, and the two can skate around blasting one enemy after another for nickel-and-dime damage that can really add up.

What other 2-model combos do you see?

Well while the Neverborn do come in at a serious lack of ranged weaponry, they also have a quite a few abilities to overcome this limit.

First off, Lilith has the spell Illusory Forest which creates a 3"x3" forest where you want in range, this can be moved around or recast.

second, Candy and Kade, both have the ability Harmless, which maens that anyone trying to shoot them needs to overcome their sugary sweet exterior.

third, Pandora, Candy and Kade all of martyr which allows them to shuff damage off to another nearby woe.

The Sorrows, once they are in are in base contact and linked to another model, they can then use your opponents spells against them (and they get access to use soulstones to aid when they do this)

The Waldgeist, once its in a forest it can stay hidden in the forest and attack the folks near the forest (And this does include Lilith's illusory forest)

Zoraida, she can take over people, but Bad Juju, comes into play in some interesting places not to mention, the voodoo dolls.

So while they don't have Range, they have a lot of ways to handle that lack of range.

Also don't forget, Kade is a Melee Expert (+1 Melee Attack), to he has an additional melee strike so after using Teddy to get in and soften them up you can use Where's teddy to get Kade in for that finishing blow (don't forget sweetbreads) And don't forget about Backstab, takes two action but +2 fate for BOTH attack and Damage, and move 6" (works great to get outta melee since its a push, means disengagement doesn't happen)

And for Kade and Candy never overlook the fact they can reactivate Harmless.

Also Kade's "Kid's got a knife" Spell is important when going up against those terrifying beasties. but Pandora's trapped your own nightmare makes it fun to turn those nasties into scared little kittens

Edited by goblyn13

I actually like the fact that there is distinct flavor to the factions. Makes the game more enjoyable knowing i have some unique abilities that the opposing factions dont. In recent years i have seen factions in other games all run together because players who played non shooty factions wanted shooting or eyeless sight and so on.

Don't forget you have the advantage of Brood, which allows your crew to move up faster when your own models get killed, making it a nasty proposition for the opponent to spend a lot of time blasting away at you from ranged. I played McNs at GC, and his Guild popped 2 of my Terror Tots, allowing my Lilith and Mature Nephilim to get into Charge range, followed by a Wing Buffet and an Earthquake to get my remaining Tots into range, and Lilith into charge range.

Next turn? Dead guilders.

Z

Do we really need to rely on Mercenaries? While having a Ronin in a Neverborn Crew would be cool, I dont think it is very fluffy (but then again, with the game being so new, what do I know of fluffy?!)

There is a scene, in the book, where Zoraida explicitly hires Viktoria for a job. I think that sets a fine precedent for Neverborn hiring mercs. Also, who's to say that the mercs you hire aren't Neverborn doppelgangers?

Lilith carried by a Mature Nephalim. That's all the "ranged attacks" I need.

Amen to that, brother.

Don't forget about those cute little backwoods boys with the boomsticks that love to hang out with Zoraida since she's got Enthrall. That's certainly a nice way to get some ranged attacks in there if you need them. and only 3 stones for each of them.

Edited by AoM