Marcus vs Perdita

Ludvig

I had the joy of playing a swamp-themed Marcus crew against Perdita on a shooting gallery board yesterday. 

A few houses in on the edges and a large open area around the center.

I had Marcus, McTavish, Myranda, the jackalope, two waldgeists and two gupps. My opponent had Perdita, Francisco, Queeg, a mounted guard, a guard sergeant, a stalker and Abuela. We both had the staple upgrades, nothing exciting there.

Pool: Corners, public executions. Eliminate, set up, recover evidence, vendetta and some scheme I can't remember. He had setup and vendetta (Francisco vs McTavish) I had set up and eliminate.

I forced him to deploy in a fenced in corner that only had a single exit and pretty much clumped my crew. Turn one he moved up and I moved up. I hada crap hand and couldn't even put forests up with my waldgeists. I also needlessly overextended McTavish to get a couple of shots off against Abuela. In turn he put eight points of damage on McTavish with Perdita.

Turn two McTavish healed and missed Abuela a couple of times before being finished off by Francisco and Perdita, netting my opponent 2 vendetta vp. Marcus charged into a very clumped up crew and Myranda backed him up by turning into a Cerberus. Together they managed to kill Abuela. Unfortunately charging two models in gave my opponent a point for setup and I couldn't get close enough to get mine.

Turn three I got initiative and used Marcus and the Cerberus to try and get at Francisco and Perdita with an accomplice activation. Marcus got Francisco but had to cheat my joker to do so, the cerberus landed a single severe on Perdita putting her at half wounds. In return my opponent managed to put a lot of damage on the cerberus and Marcus as well as hurting a waldgeist. He did setup again and so did I, I also got a strat point for killing Francisco. 

Turn four he killed off Marcus and the cerberus pretty much ending my chances of killing Perdita since I was now left with ml 5 minions against her df 7 and pushes. I got setup and so did my opponent. My waldgeists tied most of his crew up so he couldn't do much use with several of his models. I used the Jackalope to tie up Perdita so she wouldn't get at my minions for easy scoring next turn. One of my waldgeists managed to do weak damage to Perdita to net me one point for eliminate.

Bit hazy on the recollection of turn four and five but I think no one scored turn five because I had tied him up well with my useless models left but his mobility denied me setup. The game ended 6 to 4 in favour of Perdita I think (might have been 7 - 4).

In retrospect my scheme and crew selection wasn't stellar. Perdita is insanely difficult to kill meaning I wasted a ton of ap that could have given me strat points and only got a single point for eliminate against Perdita. McTavish is a huge liability in vendetta while I couldn't pick it on anything useful. Since I was also severely outgunned and Perdita doesn't care one bit about all the cover it turned out bad for him. I should have been able to do setup with my gupps but forgot that Perdita was unactivated on one turn so she got away from it and the same thing happened with Queeg on another turn. With better placement or a different activation order I might have gotten it off his more locked down models. Despite all the swamp fiends McTavish never got his bonus to sh off, I should definitely have played him a lot more carefully early game to first tie stuff up with waldgeists. I will consider the crew again, I still think it could have merit, especially if vendetta isn't in the pool.

• Like 1

Way you wrote it sounds like Set Up was played wrong. It's scored once per game and against a pre-determined enforcer+ model.

That aside cool report. Nice to see Marcus stuff when I'm about to start my own summer Marcus😃

Can't speak too much about the crew since I havent run a swamp list, but Gupps seem decent on paper here. Plenty of schemes for them to do, maybe sturdy enough against the strat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Way you wrote it sounds like Set Up was played wrong. It's scored once per game and against a pre-determined enforcer+ model.

That aside cool report. Nice to see Marcus stuff when I'm about to start my own summer Marcus😃

Can't speak too much about the crew since I havent run a swamp list, but Gupps seem decent on paper here. Plenty of schemes for them to do, maybe sturdy enough against the strat.

Sorry, I was just writing from memory and didn't sleep well the last two nights on account of sharing a bed with a small feverish marauder so I got names mixed up. :) I meant the one where you have one marker near two enemy models.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I had the joy of playing a swamp-themed Marcus crew against Perdita on a shooting gallery board yesterday. 

A few houses in on the edges and a large open area around the center.

I had Marcus, McTavish, Myranda, the jackalope, two waldgeists and two gupps. My opponent had Perdita, Francisco, Queeg, a mounted guard, a guard sergeant, a stalker and Abuela. We both had the staple upgrades, nothing exciting there.

Pool: Corners, public executions. Eliminate, set up, recover evidence, vendetta and some scheme I can't remember. He had setup and vendetta (Francisco vs McTavish) I had set up and eliminate.

I forced him to deploy in a fenced in corner that only had a single exit and pretty much clumped my crew. Turn one he moved up and I moved up. I hada crap hand and couldn't even put forests up with my waldgeists. I also needlessly overextended McTavish to get a couple of shots off against Abuela. In turn he put eight points of damage on McTavish with Perdita.

Turn two McTavish healed and missed Abuela a couple of times before being finished off by Francisco and Perdita, netting my opponent 2 vendetta vp. Marcus charged into a very clumped up crew and Myranda backed him up by turning into a Cerberus. Together they managed to kill Abuela. Unfortunately charging two models in gave my opponent a point for setup and I couldn't get close enough to get mine.

Turn three I got initiative and used Marcus and the Cerberus to try and get at Francisco and Perdita with an accomplice activation. Marcus got Francisco but had to cheat my joker to do so, the cerberus landed a single severe on Perdita putting her at half wounds. In return my opponent managed to put a lot of damage on the cerberus and Marcus as well as hurting a waldgeist. He did setup again and so did I, I also got a strat point for killing Francisco. 

Turn four he killed off Marcus and the cerberus pretty much ending my chances of killing Perdita since I was now left with ml 5 minions against her df 7 and pushes. I got setup and so did my opponent. My waldgeists tied most of his crew up so he couldn't do much use with several of his models. I used the Jackalope to tie up Perdita so she wouldn't get at my minions for easy scoring next turn. One of my waldgeists managed to do weak damage to Perdita to net me one point for eliminate.

Bit hazy on the recollection of turn four and five but I think no one scored turn five because I had tied him up well with my useless models left but his mobility denied me setup. The game ended 6 to 4 in favour of Perdita I think (might have been 7 - 4).

In retrospect my scheme and crew selection wasn't stellar. Perdita is insanely difficult to kill meaning I wasted a ton of ap that could have given me strat points and only got a single point for eliminate against Perdita. McTavish is a huge liability in vendetta while I couldn't pick it on anything useful. Since I was also severely outgunned and Perdita doesn't care one bit about all the cover it turned out bad for him. I should have been able to do setup with my gupps but forgot that Perdita was unactivated on one turn so she got away from it and the same thing happened with Queeg on another turn. With better placement or a different activation order I might have gotten it off his more locked down models. Despite all the swamp fiends McTavish never got his bonus to sh off, I should definitely have played him a lot more carefully early game to first tie stuff up with waldgeists. I will consider the crew again, I still think it could have merit, especially if vendetta isn't in the pool.

Sounds like you were on the recieving end of some proper guild judgment. :-)  I'm surprised that Marcus didn't kill abuela on his own, in my experience he comes in and does (pre wave 5) LJ  level damage.

12 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Sounds like you were on the recieving end of some proper guild judgment. :-)  I'm surprised that Marcus didn't kill abuela on his own, in my experience he comes in and does (pre wave 5) LJ  level damage.

She had lead lined coat and used her built in trigger to shunt it to friendlies so each attack was blunted by two points and he only does min 4. 

At least he landed blows on both Abuela and Francisco this game. I usually miss most of his attacks because I think he ia supposed to be a ml beater but ml 6 and no positives is crap. If Perdita hadn't given everyone ridiculous willpower I could have beasted more models to put them on negatives. This game I had to do it qith his stick and tomes/stones.

Edited by Ludvig

6 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

She had lead lined coat and used her built in trigger to shunt it to friendlies so each attack was blunted by two points and he only does min 4. 

At least he landed blows on both Abuela and Francisco this game. I usually miss most of his attacks because I think he ia supposed to be a ml beater but ml 6 and no positives is crap. If Perdita hadn't given everyone ridiculous willpower I could have beasted more models to put them on negatives. This game I had to do it qith his stick and tomes/stones.

Ahh, that would do it.   Most games I've played he has put people on negatives, which is absolutely crippling.  

33 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Ahh, that would do it.   Most games I've played he has put people on negatives, which is absolutely crippling.  

The more I play him the more I want to only use his debuff actions. Feral as a (1) would have been insanely amazing. I still haven't gotten any cool alpha's off, alphaing your own model is often not spectacular and wastes a card and a stone most of the time, I'm usually better off just charging Marcus and doing an accomplice. Unfortunately I face so much guild and Sonnia is pretty much immune to his sillyness with wp 9, Perdita buffs half her crew to 8 or 9 and in most crews my opponent brings a witchling stalker to remove the debuffs as well. In a non-Perdita crew an alpha against Francisco should be very satisfying.

21 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

The more I play him the more I want to only use his debuff actions. Feral as a (1) would have been insanely amazing. I still haven't gotten any cool alpha's off, alphaing your own model is often not spectacular and wastes a card and a stone most of the time, I'm usually better off just charging Marcus and doing an accomplice. Unfortunately I face so much guild and Sonnia is pretty much immune to his sillyness with wp 9, Perdita buffs half her crew to 8 or 9 and in most crews my opponent brings a witchling stalker to remove the debuffs as well. In a non-Perdita crew an alpha against Francisco should be very satisfying.

You could always Alpha Francisco after he has activated to strip El Mayor from the Master and then force him to attack said Master.  Flurrying a Master with a Ml7 with built in Crit Strike sounds really good!

Edit: I realized this is exactly what you are talking about in your last sentence. Lol.  

Edited by KingCrow

1 minute ago, KingCrow said:

You could always Alpha Francisco after he has activated to strip El Mayor from the Master and then force him to attack said Master.  Flurrying a Master with a Ml7 with built in Crit Strike sounds really good!

Yeah, that might have been a much better idea than just charging in which didn't save McTavish anyway. Francisco was hanging out behind the front lines this game but I should have been able to walk around and draw LoS. I'm not sure why I do this to myself. I always start the game telling myself Marcus will hang back and only do control but I always end up charging him in. :D