What is good for a novice player nowadays?

Baskakov_Dmitriy

My friend is into Japanese theme and likes fencing, and hence has bought Misaki box. However, my main faction is Arcanists, and I know nothing about Ten Thunders besides the fact that their cards are fancy.

What is a good addition for Misaki crew for 35SS if my friend is new to the game?

I have seen Rezzer version of Yan Lo in play, and it seems powerful and interesting. Is it also competitive in the Ten Thunders?

Shadow Emissary is certainly the best acquisition for a TT newbie, as it is played with every master.

Yasunori is pretty strightforward, as are Katanaka Snipers, Crime Bosses, Mr. Graves (cheap Yu's substitute) and Lone Swordsman.

But basically everything will work with Misaki, except things that don't work at all.

• Thanks 1

I've found that TT Snipers are a nice complement to Misaki's core box; except for the shurikens on the Torakage (which you'll rarely use, at least in my own experience), there isn't anything shooty in there. The snipers add some much needed fire support, are no slouch in melee, and can really intimidate your opponents from placing their models out of cover! Their ability to make other models slow is an added benefit. 

Also, clocking in at only 6 points thanks to the errata, Yamaziko is AMAZING! She can perform 4 actions per turn thanks to being Nimble (free walk) and a 0 (the always useful Brace Yari to damage charging models), so she's a fantastic scheme runner, soulstone user, and board controller. Highly recommend. 

Your friend could also think about running Misaki as an Outcast Master - Killjoy is a relatively inexpensive investment, and is quite the beatstick!

Other useful models on my list: Yin, Izamu, Low River Monks, Toshiro (who can summon Komainu)

Hope this helps!

[Edit] Misaki is a very solitary master - she's a cruise missile that prefers fighting on her own to buffing her models. While this denies potential benefits to your minions, it also means you can pretty much run Misaki with whatever you want, so there are no wrong answers in my opinion.

• Like 1