Schill is amaaaaaaaaazinnnnggggg!!!!

CapnBloodbeard

Given that Schill can now leap in and push 3 models away from whatever objective they're hanging near, or push them out of cover.  Or just take up to 7 attacks against a single model from one activation (charge, place+shot, reposition, meleee, place + shot, reposition, place + shot, reposition, finish the cur - if applicable) it really increases his capacity as both a denial master and a bit of a beatstick in his own right.  And now you can think a bit more about how you want other models to interact with all this as well.  

11 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Given that Schill can now leap in and push 3 models away from whatever objective they're hanging near, or push them out of cover.  Or just take up to 7 attacks against a single model from one activation (charge, place+shot, reposition, meleee, place + shot, reposition, place + shot, reposition, finish the cur - if applicable) it really increases his capacity as both a denial master and a bit of a beatstick in his own right.  And now you can think a bit more about how you want other models to interact with all this as well. 

The 7 attacks is not something it would be sensible to plan for though... it needs 3 masks in duels that are successful, and the old man has a pretty sparse cache... The place on clockwork arm is amazing though - punching things out of cover is a particularly good use for it given how a Von Schill crew can be quite ranged-heavy (if you build it that way). It can also be used to clump dudes up for Lazarus!

I played with him for the first time with the new upgrades and found them to be quite a bit of fun. I think the plus flips to those with Oathkeeper is probably the more powerful of the two. It can be pretty brutal on a stongarm suit, but there isn't anything preventing you from putting on someone else, like Ashes, and just leaving it on him for a bit. You can't hand out the Oathkeeper to non Friekorps, but your friends still benefit from it. Those friends love it when you throw one of your enemies back their way. Hanna with OK for example, loves to have VS toss an enemy into her 3" reach. Sure, you don't get the seeker attack, but all the enemy model can do (most of the time) is walk, so he's effectively slowed. 

In my match I used my first activation to hand out three OKs, but in the future will probably plan for two. After that it is likely going to be situational based on when he has nothing better to do (which isn't often), 

I'm looking forward to trying out the synergies with his clockwork arm throwing people back and no-charge lines with Rusty and Ronin. He could also benefit greatly from Anna's push, which you could probably use for 1-2 extra Schill attacks most turns. The combination of Anna, Rusty/Ronin, and Von Schill could force a lot of walks out of your opponents. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trample said:

Hanna with OK for example, loves to have VS toss an enemy into her 3" reach. Sure, you don't get the seeker attack, but all the enemy model can do (most of the time) is walk, so he's effectively slowed. 

Actually, he still would be able to shoot.  As long as the enemy model is at the edge of her 3in engagement, he can still shoot it.  You only randomize if the models are engaged and within two inches of each other.  Placing the model @ 3in will still grant the shot

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Davos said:

Actually, he still would be able to shoot.  As long as the enemy model is at the edge of her 3in engagement, he can still shoot it.  You only randomize if the models are engaged and within two inches of each other.  Placing the model @ 3in will still grant the shot

Yup, that is right. My mistake! 

On 10/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, apes-ma said:

The 7 attacks is not something it would be sensible to plan for though... it needs 3 masks in duels that are successful, and the old man has a pretty sparse cache... The place on clockwork arm is amazing though - punching things out of cover is a particularly good use for it given how a Von Schill crew can be quite ranged-heavy (if you build it that way). It can also be used to clump dudes up for Lazarus!

it is a bit dependent upon what's in your hand.  Depending how important the attack is, soulstoning for it may be an option. The great thing about the positive flip to attacks means there's a fairly good chance you'll win the flip, so you cheat second.  I sometimes found myself cheating down to hit the mask

Personally I find myself really wanting to do it especially if it's the first attack off a charge, understandably.  Though even if the place fails, I've still had 2 attacks off the first AP so not a huge deal if I miss out on the 2nd charge attack. 

So I tried the Oathkeeper, Priority Target thing on VS.  It did work pretty well.  I melted a Peacekeeper down to 3 wounds and forced my opponent to burn an Oathkeeper to walk away (he was already slow) through a pack of trees so he wouldn't die from Strongarm Suit who was about to charge.  Overall, it was a pretty good showing, i still lose, though it was mostly due to a greed play on my part (sent VS after Levi instead of just killing the Peacekeeper or going waif hunting.  VS missed every attack and then got countermelted and then Suit Black Jokered the horror duel from Peacekeeper)

• Like 2

Vs could also have done well to split the anchors from the waifs.  

Oooh, just realised - head hunter is now awesome with vS - just keep hurling enemy models back into your own back line.  

And that scheme where you have to kill an enemy model near a scheme marker?  Drop scheme markers harmlessly away from the enemy, throw enemy at scheme marker, destroy enemy...

It's not just that he's fun, but these abilities work really well with a number of schemes and strats.  von Schill doesn't care that your tarpit is holding a point of terrain for the strat :P

15 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Vs could also have done well to split the anchors from the waifs.  

Oooh, just realised - head hunter is now awesome with vS - just keep hurling enemy models back into your own back line.  

And that scheme where you have to kill an enemy model near a scheme marker?  Drop scheme markers harmlessly away from the enemy, throw enemy at scheme marker, destroy enemy...

Yea. That was the objectively correct play.  I got CRAZY greedy going for my Eliminate points.  My opponnet and I talked about it right after, correct play was waif hunting.

Yea, I haven't gotten to do it yet, but Headhunter you can o some crazy stuff.  The ideal is you charge VS into some schemer, hit them once, then toss them with the 2nd attack, throwing them the full 6inches.  Then, you kill them with the resulting attack, throwing the head another 3in.  Which basically ensures you get the point

14 hours ago, Nukemouse said:

VS missed every attack against Levi? Owch. Gotta be careful about going into melee against levi if he doesnt have an empty hand.  Against Levi i think Schill will have better luck clearing the anchors like @CapnBloodbeard said. Let Trappers and stuff take potshots at Levi and the waifs, Schill can handle the tough guys.

Oh no, he didn't cheat at all (even though he hand was godly).  I jsut missed EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. and he was flipping face cards like it was nothing.  And my hand was AWFUL.

#greedydoesntpay

Oh yea.  VS was already down below half and I'd already blown my SS cache (I run very few with him, rather have the extra model).  He kept hitting his halving trigger and with the ignores armor, there wasn't much left for me to do.  Cause even with my WP 7 matching his CA 7, my highest duel total was like a 12 (my deck decided it hated me).

That being said, I came very very close to running the table on him.  Just the one greed play of trying to kill Levi, instead of Peacekeeper and waifs cost me the game.