Can a model walk or charge through another models engagement range?

Marcusito

Question

I had a scenario come up where my opponent had enough walk to walk completely through one of my model's engagement radius to attack another model.  Is there any scenario where this can happen?  Such as if my model is engaged with another model can a 3rd opponent model get to walk through my model's engagement radius without becoming engaged?  I'm new player but I thought once you breached a model's engagement your model was engaged unless you walked around it.

5 answers to this question

You can walk through another models engagement range with no problems or consequences normally.

Likely what you're thinking of is the idea of a Disengaging strike.  Those only occur when a walk action is declared while standing in a models engagement range such that the walk will leave the engagement range.  So if you start outside your opponents engagement range and end outside your opponents engagement range, they get no opinion.  If you start INSIDE the engagement range and stay inside the whole time, you're still fine.   It's only if you start inside their engagement range and declare your intention to LEAVE the engagement range that you have to deal with disengaging strikes.

As long as you can get in and out of an engagement range during a single walk action then yes, you can freely move through. The only restriction placed on walks is that if you begin a walk engaged with an enemy, they are allowed to make a disengaging strike if you would like to leave their engagement range with a walk.

You can also freely charge through engagement ranges. The only restriction on charges is that you can't begin a charge while engaged. If you have a special rule that allows you to charge when engaged, then you can charge into and through as many engagement ranges as you want.

31 minutes ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

I think this is one of the most missed rules in Malifaux.  I know that I had this exact discussion with a player last week.

I blame warmahordes. People thinking the black joker automatically fails instead of just adding 0 is also extremely common. 

• Like 2