Moments of Levity

Joel

I'm trying to come up with a viable list that can draw a lot of cards in a turn.  So far I'm at this list, but could you make it draw/filter more cards?

levi (bone, oath)

2 waifs

2 aboms

sue (return fire)

vanessa

flesh construct

dead doxy

phillip and the nanny 

with aboms pinging the flesh construct and dead doxy dropping markers for Philip, sue going hurt and Vanessa's intuition and surge I can get 5 extra cards a turn with ease and possibly more. 

Just now, SurreyLee said:

@Joel having played a few games now, are you favouring Bone or Iron Levi? Also, why?

I'm about 5 games in with Levi with mixed results. Balance is key i'm finding (i suppose the whole game is about balance). 

At the moment I've played more iron than bone, and as many games without either upgrade.

I'm finding that iron works with more of my collection of models from other factions (not many guild and neverborn undead out there), making it easier to build lists.

Bone does allow some very nice tricks though, although it also means i'm limiting my hiring pool a litle.  They do however offer a lot more in terms of tricks above tanks.

for now I'm going to keep swapping between all 3 versions (iron/bone/neither)

I've not tried him without yet funnily enough, but this is largely because my Outcasts pool is limited (but growing rapidly as is the way with this hobby).

I'm also inclined to agree that Bone seems to give more tricks. I've blatantly and shamelessly copied your double teddy list however for an upcoming vassal game.....it sounds horrid fun. 

What surprises me however is that post cuddle you don't see a lot of Levi around yet to me he still seems more than capable of doing stuff

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SurreyLee said:

Balance is key i'm finding (i suppose the whole game is about balance). 

interesting thought this, and with a certain merit to it, but its also about knowing when to break the balance of a game, at some point you need to read the moves of the opponent and push them in a direction they aren't braced and ready for.

I enjoy the double teddy list - its silly fun.  feel free to use it shamelessly.

the cuddle on levi simply stopped him having a brainless activation. before he always did the same thing  - channeled 3 times and shot 3 times and became a waif.

Now he has to think a little more about what he does (not a lot more I'll be honest, but a bit) as he won't always kill everything he shoots at now and may not always bury as a result - after all he's not always going to recharge his wounds these days.  But I guess that people who did play him didn't want to adapt to this (and fair enough), and have moved on as a result.

1 hour ago, Joel said:

I enjoy the double teddy list - its silly fun.  feel free to use it shamelessly.

the cuddle on levi simply stopped him having a brainless activation. before he always did the same thing  - channeled 3 times and shot 3 times and became a waif.

Now he has to think a little more about what he does (not a lot more I'll be honest, but a bit) as he won't always kill everything he shoots at now and may not always bury as a result - after all he's not always going to recharge his wounds these days.  But I guess that people who did play him didn't want to adapt to this (and fair enough), and have moved on as a result.

Have you used his non shoot much? His ML attack after all can be pretty unforgiving.

• Like 1

The 1 minimum damage on his melee is annoying, and is an example of a rule that existed because he had his old Channel mechanism. Being on positive flips most of the time meant that you'd normally be cheating in at least moderate. Making him minimum damage 2 would correct it I think.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Freman said:

The 1 minimum damage on his melee is annoying, and is an example of a rule that existed because he had his old Channel mechanism. Being on positive flips most of the time meant that you'd normally be cheating in at least moderate. Making him minimum damage 2 would correct it I think.

agreed, you usually only go for melee if you have a spare severe in hand so you can guarantee an 8 on the first hit. after that it just goes rapidly down hill and usually is a 1. 
have used it occasionally but hes far better at having a shot or 2, or running schemes these days

• Like 2

I've used him death touch when I've needed to, and it hasn't always worked out, but it's been a useful threat to draw high cards out of my opponents hand - I might not have the severe in hand, but the bluff/threat that I do can help.  

I managed to get a game with "stonelevi" last night as a pickup game at the ITC

standard deployment guard the stash

claim jump, leave mark, dig graves, set up, tail em.

my list:

levi (oath, iron, desolate), 7ss

2 waifs

hodgepodge effigy

3 ronin

3 soulstone miners

my opponent used:

mccabe (promises, sabre, speed) 5ss

luna

3 hounds

allison dade (debt)

judge (unrelenting)

thrall

i chose leave mark and tail em, my opponent chose leave mark and claim jump.

i started with 2 soulstone miners buried, matching activation count with my opponent.

i had a personal goal to get to 20ss by the end of the game.  

Levi, under hodgepodge condition, generated 3ss and 3 abominations in turns 1 and 2 combined killing 2 hounds and Luna.  The initial miner generated 2 more over those turns too.  I dropped the other miners at the end of turn 1, getting one in position to get all my leave mark points.  The ronin held the stash markers, got tail  em by waiting until McCabe has acivated. I sacrificed 2 of them during turns 3 and 4 generating 4 more stones. 

I had got the thrall and Allison Dade down to 1-2 wounds each by the end of turn 4, with Levi in position to kill both in turn 5 - but game was conceded at this point as the score was 9-3 and my opponent could not score any more vp.

list was a lot of fun. You can spend soulstones like they are going out of fashion knowing more will just be coming back to you.  I generated/owned 16ss I this initial test, and had turn 5 started I could have got 5 more! 

• Like 5

Can you even spend 5-6 stones per turn? I suppose, 1 for cards, 1 for initiative (not every turn), 1-2 for plus flips and 2 for prevention (not sure why you'd necessarily waste them here....maybe waste more oppo AP killing Levi?)

Still, massive amount of stones. I suppose a balance (that word again) between stones and cards is the holy grail here. 

32 minutes ago, katadder said:

this is why with levi I tend to take tally sheet, so when he gets kills he also gets cards to exchange for stones.

yep, I've run that on von schill in the past - with levi I find myself wanting that 3rd slot for desolate soul at the moment in this list as this build treats all its models as disposable resources and replenishing activations seems like a solid play.  I can't see me needing, or being able, to kill more than 1-2 things a turn with levi very often, and usually you will have 1-2 low cards at least that can be pitched for that stone.  The filtering is always good - and if I had a 4th upgrade slot it'd be in there like a shot! 

when the terracotta warriors arrive we'll get that ball rolling I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katadder said:

true, guess depends how you run him. i only carry 2 upgrades - desolate soul and tally sheet, always play in faction (even though I have lots of constructs and undead) but you need the pariah upgrade for your miners. 

I love oathkeeper on him, that extra focus can be really useful 

Another game in with the "stonelevi" list above - this time standard interference vs. Pandora.

claim jump, leave mark, accusation, breakthrough, hunting party.

both players chose leave mark and accusation and opponents list was:

pandora (box, fears, fugue), 7ss

poltergeist

2 sorrows

beckoner

kade (depression)

teddy

this time I got up to 18ss and spent 16ss over 5 turns.  Still need to reach that barrier of 21!  The game ended 6-2 to me.  My opponent scored interference once and accusation once.  I scored all interference points and 2 leave mark points.

levi: wounded poltergeist turn 1, killed it turn 2 and did 8dmg to teddy in same activation - ronin flurried teddy to kill it.  Levi then sacced own effigy that was on 1wnd and engaged with sorrow and kade to clear the line of fire and killed kade turn 3, the sorrow died turn 4 to him too and he then got himself upfield to protect the ronin doing leave mark and accuse the beckoner (unfortunately the beckoner was able to push away and remove the  condition)

soulstone miners tied up pandora, burning soulstones to keep being annoying, made soulstones, cleared models away from levi and held table quarters.

ronin held table quarters and got my leave mark points in turns 4 and 5.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrbedlam said:

How often are you finding yourself burying Levi? The few games I've played with him, it seems that unless you way overextend with him, its almost better to keep him out and maybe soak some of your opponent's AP trying to kill him

usually twice a game - once to reposition, once when I want to maintain activation advantage and recharge his wounds (undercover entourage for example).  

• Like 1

So I've built and painted up the following to add to my bag for Levi:

3 void wretches

scion of the void

scorpius

2 bunraku

yin the pennangalen

id like to add the valadictorisn too, but I can't find her card anywhere