Nicodem - to corpse or not to corpse

Mutter

While eyeing up my growing Rezzer collection and thinking about finally getting Nico to the table, I've stumbled on the 'corpse-conundrum'. Do I include stuff to create corpse markers starting turn 1 to make use of Nico as s summoner, or do I really on people succumbing (my own and my opponent's) to provide for them?

Reading up on Nico, it seems most people just include Mortimer and Corpse Bloat to get a sizable number of corpses. While this seems legit, something rubs me the wrong way about paying that many ss basically just for corpse markers.

The way I see it, there seem to be very few ways of going about it:

- Patience. Just don't include any corpse marker tech and wait for things to drop. Frees up some serious points for a beater like Izamu, and I guess if one were to include a couple of Belles, one could be fairly certain to at least get one opposing model close enough to bash its brains in and thus gain a corpse marker. This seems to be minority approach, though. Guess because it's counter-intuitive to how Nico seems to function?

- Secondary corpse tech: I guess I could include something like two Canine Remains and hope for a couple of 9+ :crow. Advantage would be that they are fairly good scheeme runners, too, so they don't seem wasted. Disadvantage is that Nico would need those same :crow, so you basically create an artificial shortage of them. Something I'm loath to do.

- Go the whole hog: Bring Mortimer, Corpse Bloat and I'd even include My Little Helper to get 3 corpse markers turn 1. Would have the advantage of having surplus Mindless Zombies if not all of them are used for summoning, never a bad thing. Would have to take good care of Mortimer, or else he'll perish quickly, but then that mightn't be such a big problem if I have 6+ corpse markers tun 2 (Carrion Emissary included).

- Do something else entirely: I've been looking a possible alternative Corpse Bloat carriers, but pickings are slim. If only Izamu were a Henchman! He's be perfect. But possible candidates could be either the Valedictorian or Archie. Both have the advantage of being able to carry Take Back The Night, which might be cute (but I'm not too sure if it's really worth it). Archie is kinda cool, because he could potentially fling bits of himself at the enemy, damage them and THEN blow up the corpse marker with Corpse Bloat. But he's 13 stones, 16 with both upgrades. O.o

So, yeah, long story short, not really sure how I should go about it ... Any clever ideas?

Hi,  having played many games with nico I usually feel like mortimer is too pricy with his typical upgrades. Once he leaves markers becomes a slow guy skillful with his shovel who makes little damage and gets no  beneffit from nicos bluffs.

Many times  I put corpse bloat in Sebastian,  charging him with poison from a nurse in first turn so he can heal himself with nico's healing upgrade,  cant remember the name of it. I love bringing sebastian cause he can summon canine remains so easily with just a 6 leaving free ap's to nico. 

The other aproach I tend to play is using crappy minions like autopsies and canines (never used the corpse ability with them)  with undertaker and maniacal laugh,  youll get tons of cards plus those valuable corpse markers. I put corpse bloat once on nico himself and worked nice,  you can give it a try. 

• Like 1

I've had a lot of luck running a more undead focused version of Nicodem with Necrotic King to boost casts and damage flips.  Nothing says loving like Izamu with :+fate to attack and :+fate:+fate to damage.  You end up either recycling your own guys into new beaters or else turning their crew into more (depends on their crew really), but it does free up a lot of your higher cards for putting the hurt on enemy models.

Flagrantly stolen from the fine folks in this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bengt said:

I think the primary reason to bring Mortimer is Chatty and Fresh Meat, only use the (0) on Corpse bloat for markers and spend his AP on pushing your dudes around.

I actually totally forgot about Fresh Meat. The way it is written (not 'other Undead models') I assume Mortimer can use the Wk himself, too, right?

@ClementYeah, I milked that thread for all it's worth ... :)

It might actually be the one that started my recent interest in Nico again.

10 minutes ago, Mutter said:

I actually totally forgot about Fresh Meat. The way it is written (not 'other Undead models') I assume Mortimer can use the Wk himself, too, right?

@ClementYeah, I milked that thread for all it's worth ... :)

It might actually be the one that started my recent interest in Nico again.

Unfortunatelly morty is quite alive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mojopin said:

Unfortunatelly morty is quite alive. 

Damn ...

You're right, that's a trap I keep walking into. :(

But still, it seems like a fairly powerful ability, saving tons of AP. Maybe Morty would be worth it if one was to use Fresh Meat fairly aggressively ...

Something to ponder, I guess.

Nicodem makes for a stronger choice into certain factions because they have more Living/Undead in them, and thus will create more corpse markers naturally. I wouldn't take anything to generate the markers, because even if you're not summoning, you'll still be able to do other useful actions - Undead Crowning, Rigor Mortis and Decay. Don't forget that Mindless Zombies are also corpse markers, so bringing something along that creates those incidentally can be helpful too. For example, Carrion Emissary and Anna Lovelace are both great all-round models, who have actions that create Zombies as a by-product.

I have been having a bit of success with no corpse bloat Nico. I use him as a buffer and use summons to replace losses or summon punk zombies and hanged. My crew is usually a few belles, sybelle, Izamu and some necro punks to run schemes or drop markers. It works really well. Normally my belle brigade manages to lure something up to me in the first turn which Izamu and sybelle kill and then kill turn two I summon something. When I first played Nico I was too caught up in the summoning game and now it's one of my tools. I think it's the way Nicodem was meant to be played!

• Like 2