Hodgepodge Emissary - is he worthy to take?

daniello_s

I had a game yesterday where I used Donkey Man against Flying Crow (Carrion Emissary) and after a game I must say I'm a bit displeased with our Emissary. 

He gives Trinkets which I must say have quite good name - they look shiny and beautiful and that's all. As for Emissary himself I can't see the role he supposed to fulfill in the crew. He is not either good damage dealer nor scheme runner and he doesn't support his crew mates.

When I saw what Carrion Emissary can do (again, as I was playing against him many times) - fast model which gives +1Wk to models around, block LOS with summoning extra model at the end of the turn, has very good attack, can change corpse markers into scheme markers it makes me wonder why would I ever consider bringing Donkey Man on the table... 

Any opinions of your own on this matter, guys and girls?

I haven't been able to put him to good use yet.

(tried him with Jack Daw, but he got shot Turn 1, so never found out the utility of the extra curse)

I'm looking at him as a mobile gunline support for Tara's death marshals with generic emissary upgrade or as a mobile scheme runner / shirt supply with Von Schill

Also of consideration is his Obliteration upgrade (Conflux of Nothingness), which may serve as AP conservation for Tara and a cheaper alternative to Hannah's "remove this thing from play" upgrade. No reason not to take Hannah as well, though, which would lead to greater activation control (a total of 3 models may be buried) and easy Take Prisoner scoring.

otherwise, apart from the awesomesause model, I haven't been able to see why he would rock

Still, the (0) "move and drop a marker" is something the Outcasts don't generally do outside of Levi's Necropunks, so maybe treat him as a scheme runner + support in 1 model?

He is pretty much a staple in my Jack crew and quite often appears in my Tara crew. His main uses are scheme runner and support especially in a Jack crew.

Generally turn 1 he will hand out 2 trinkets and then push with the 0. He can then use his Call of the lost to mess with the enemy whilst still dropping scheme markers thanks to the 0. He can get the three markers down for convict labour by himself by turn 2. 

Call of the lost is really good as it has the suit built in to do the discard a card or gain slow trigger. Doing that twice in a turn can really mess the enemies  plans as you are attacking either their AP it cards which are both finite resources. 

With Jack the debuff aspect is even better as the curse he can attach not only means they take 2 damage everytime they cheat they also take +1 damage when they take damage from abilities. This means that a model with this curse takes extra damage from Jacks curses and also from the bigger they are upgrade. This lets you get to huge damage levels quite easily when attacking a model with this curse. 

The Viks like having him around for his scheme marker stuff and the trinkets can be pretty strong in some cases.  Tossing Companion or Reactivate on Vik of Blood can be very powerful.

Von Schill likes to have repeat Horror duel bombs by tearing off a bunch of shirts.  It also lets Hannah tear off some shirts without fear of emptying Von Schill's shirt closet.

With Leveticus the Emissary enables the fun and sometimes useful Horseman list.

• Like 2

He is probably the worst of all Emissaries but Hodgepodge can be sometimes usefull- especially for Von Schill (free shirt every turn), Jack Daw (another curse) and medicore with Hamelin (the + is nice, but it doesn't affect  damage flips) or Tara. I haven't play him with Misaki or Victorias so don't know how he performs with them. Upgrade for Levi is more for fun than for typical gameplay.

On 11/19/2016 at 1:30 PM, Kirby said:

The Viks like having him around for his scheme marker stuff and the trinkets can be pretty strong in some cases.  Tossing Companion or Reactivate on Vik of Blood can be very powerful.

Von Schill likes to have repeat Horror duel bombs by tearing off a bunch of shirts.  It also lets Hannah tear off some shirts without fear of emptying Von Schill's shirt closet.

With Leveticus the Emissary enables the fun and sometimes useful Horseman list.

My main point is that Donkey Man is not really supporting the crew on the 'base level' as I think he should. What I mean by the 'base level' is that you don't take into account any particular Conflux dedicated to particular master but Emissaries general abilities/actions just like say Carrion or Shadow Emissaries. That's where I'm disappointed the most with our beautiful Emissary...

• 1 month later...

So, with new GG2017, do you reckon the Tricky Hidalgo might see more play?

I've heard people singing him praise in Parker Barrows lists with the general Conflux

He can now score Claim jump all by himself, and with general Emissary stats he's not going anywhere doing his scheme running on the side of the board.

Thoughts?

I've considered him a few times with Parker and the general conflux upgrade, he runs a lot of minions so it would make sense. 

I view him as a very mobile support piece. Trinkets are really good if you plan to use them, and each conflux upgrade gives him a second zero action to abuse with instinctual. Keep him at roughly the same range from the fight as you would Parker or Hamelin and he's in the sweet spot to do work.

He is expensive though.