Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

5 hours ago, necroon said:

Well I must say - this all sounds delightfully fun! I think I am going to join the ranks of Gremlins and take to the sky myself! Lots of good advice here to work with: thanks to all that contributed! 

Welcome aboard!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joel said:

I have another event coming up this weekend with Zipp - the usual 3 rounds at 50ss - currently at 28 players.  I will, of course, report back soon with game details and points of interest.

Where's that?  I'm bringing Zipp to the fixed masters 45ss 70pool Lost Love on Sunday 44 players.  Hopefully I'l end up in the top half :D

16 hours ago, Joel said:

Welcome aboard!!

Why thank you Captain-my-captain! 

I've decided to start by picking up his crew box, Burt Jebsen, Gracie, the Pig-a-Pult, Merris, and the Creative Taxidermy box based on most of what I have read here. I already own some of the solid Mercenary options (Like Mctavish, Ronin [which I have a strong appreciation for in Neverborn after reading that you liked them in another thread], and Lazarus). 

And as the pianos drop upon my hapless foes they shall know the true meaning of fear! :P

• Like 1

Used Hovering Airship in 3 games today and I really liked it. Both the rams trigger for positives dam and masks for move were both great options to have on the table.  I think it makes Earl way more valuable for those suits.  Going to try diatribe on him next for the scrap markers so I can ignore cover.   

3 hours ago, Von Woozle said:

Used Hovering Airship in 3 games today and I really liked it. Both the rams trigger for positives dam and masks for move were both great options to have on the table.  I think it makes Earl way more valuable for those suits.  Going to try diatribe on him next for the scrap markers so I can ignore cover.   

I've never got that off - either not had the scrap marker or not had the suited card in hand. Mech porkchop can help a bit with that

So, 3 games yesterday. 2 wins and a draw left me in 4th but with the best gremlin badge.  The draw would have been a win if turn 5 had started too...

so - crews and games.

Game 1 was corner deployment guard the stash vs Ramos.  I took leave your mark and quick murder, as did my opponent.

my crew:

zipp (diatribe, gab, hovering), 7ss

earl

2 iron skeeters (spotlight, phe)

first mate (cap can't see, treasure map)

merris (do over)

taxidermist (dc)

2 stuffed piggies

my opponent used:

ramos (electrical summon, seize the day)

howard (energies)

rail golem (energies)

union miner

soulstone miner

brass arachnid

mobile toolkit

we completed turn 4, I scored all strat points, 2 for quick murder (Zipp taking Howard for a jetpack joyride) and 3 for leave your mark from Merris and the taxidermist.  I nearly denied quick murder, but a handful of times on a burning 11 rail golem meant the first mate died in the end. Game ended 8-4.  Taxidermist scored 2vp for me, but had the most uneventful game ever. Had the game gone the distance, 8-6 was the likely outcome.

Game 2 was stake a claim, standard deployment, against neverborn zoraida.  My opponent took 

Zoraida (hexbag, tarot, crystal ball)

nekima

mysterious emissary (zoraida upgrade)

2 gupps

doppleganger

2 wisps

which suprised me as my go-to when I play neverborn are silurids.  I used a new crew for me:

zipp (same upgrades)

earl

first mate (usual upgrades)

burt (dc)

francois (dc, do over)

2 iron skeeters (phe, spotlight)

suffed piggie

I took leave your mark again, but also hunting party.  My opponent took marked for death and leave your mark. 

Turn 1 I had 2 stake a claim markers down - iron skeeters had carried burt and frank and made them fast - one on each flank - and they had done their thing.  Frank had also killed a  voodoo doll.  Zipp had introduced some gupps to piano music too.  Nekima came in from some obeys from Z, killed franks skeeter, but he was left alive.  Zipp spent the rest of the game (which finished in turn 3) keeping nekima and doppelgänger busy and away from frank and Earl who dropped more stake and scheme markers.

the first mate spent a lot of time hemmed, but he and Burt killed the other gupps and a summoned changeling for hunting party.  The first mate got marked for death but survived the game. He never got across the centreline, game finished 6-0.  Had we had more time, a 10-1 was the likely outcome. 

Game 3 was close deployment turf war vs. Somer.  

The somer crew was:

Somer (family tree, do over)

pigapult

3 bayou gremlins

slop hauler

trixie (gun for a lady)

frank (stilts)

2 skeeters

2 stuffed piggies.

i decided to stick with the same crew I used in game 2.

my opponent chose claim jump and frame for murder (trixie) and I chose frame for murder (frank) and show of force.  My choice of frame here was my one poor scheme choice of the day - I should have gone for eliminate the leadership aside had huge soulstone advantage and my crew was more killy.  Hey-ho.

i threw burt and frank forward and took chucks and stones off his henchmen and weathered the pigapult storm.  I gave away 3 points for FFM when Zipp killed trixie, and by the end of turn 2 I was down 5-2, although I'd basically locked in the 2 more show of force points by killing trixie and frank. I then started killing my way through his crew trying to make him kill frank, but he didn't bite - this did mean I prevented any more claim jump points though and nearly blocked a turf war too, but the pigapult through a bayou gremlin into scoring range.  

I kept on killing - Zipp using up we go on the pigapult - and left him with only Somer, slop hauler and a wounded bayou gremlin. I'd killed 15 models and only lost a skeeter, earl and a piggies I'd blown up myself to kill one of his skeeters.

he couldn't score turf war turn 4 and would not if we had started turn 5 either as he would not have had 2 models left, but the game ended 6-6.  If we had played turn 5, the score would have been 7-6 to me.

so lessons:

the pair of skeeters with Burt/Frank is a useful tool when I need speed or agression. 

I might be able to get more functionality out of it though by making them 2 lightning bugs and having 7 free SS for other things

i need to trust myself more with killing - the crew could easily have brought Somer below half wounds for a vp, if not killed him outright. 

There you go though, hope it helps

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Joel said:

I've never got that off - either not had the scrap marker or not had the suited card in hand. Mech porkchop can help a bit with that

Mech porkchop really isn't worth paying 7ss for the scrap marker so that I then need to hit a suited trigger with a minion.  Plus your probably only going to need to one or two scrap markers all game.  I think Porkchop is a bit of a stinker and not really worth its cost.  I mean its the same price as a doppelganger!

Seems like you had a bunch of slow games in the tourney Joel. 

33 minutes ago, Von Woozle said:

Mech porkchop really isn't worth paying 7ss for the scrap marker so that I then need to hit a suited trigger with a minion.  Plus your probably only going to need to one or two scrap markers all game.  I think Porkchop is a bit of a stinker and not really worth its cost.  I mean its the same price as a doppelganger!

But you don`t have the Doppleganger in the Gremlins faction afaik, so there`s little need to compare them^^

Porkchop has a completely different role to fulfill in a crew.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tris said:

But you don`t have the Doppelgänger in the Gremlins faction afaik, so there`s little need to compare them^^

Porkchop has a completely different role to fulfill in a crew.

There are lots to compare them to.  Stats for one and there are many stats then you have their rules I'm sure I can compare them as well then there's the comparison that hardly any one who can takes the porkchop while pretty much everyone who can takes the Doppleganger.  It's also very transparent that the doppelganger is underpriced and a massive crutch to the neverborn faction. 

13 hours ago, Joel said:

Ramos and Somer summoning was slow.  Don't dis the mech porkchop though - he is better than he looks on paper 

Used it with Ulix it's great for when you need high cards to summon and want those positives flips and if you have a reason to fit Sparks into the match up for his amazing aura then its going to be that much better.  If it were 6ss I'd find a place for it as it also has some useful triggers and it wouldn't be fighting for the same spot as Taxi, Burt, Franky, Sammy and would be replacing an Ironskeeter.

Edit.  If I want a scrap marker I'll stone for it if I don't have one of two low suites needed for the trigger to get scrap from diatribe.  Seems way easier than taking the porkchop :P

Problem is that you need to set the scrap marker up a turn in advance with diatribe so that Zipp can then benefit from the pos flips.  Zipp won't be staying still that long though. 

The activation order to do what you want is annoying. It's not about Zipp not having the suit either, it's about Earl not having it, or the ability to stone for it, which can be problematic.

The MechPig puts the scrap where you want it if you want to try that - but all that setup for pos flips? Not worth it

11 hours ago, Joel said:

Problem is that you need to set the scrap marker up a turn in advance with diatribe so that Zipp can then benefit from the pos flips.  Zipp won't be staying still that long though. 

The activation order to do what you want is annoying. It's not about Zipp not having the suit either, it's about Earl not having it, or the ability to stone for it, which can be problematic.

The MechPig puts the scrap where you want it if you want to try that - but all that setup for pos flips? Not worth it

You need a 5+ of tombs from Earl for the positives which could be problem, but he only needs to be 6" away from the scrap.

Diatribe has an 8" range and no target number so an anything of masks or tombs to get it off and place a scrap marker next to one of my own models. 

Move model up the field 12", move Zipp, cast Diatribe, cheat in an ace of tombs, place scrap, move again, drop earl.  Next turn both are in place.  Yeah you have to active Earl 1st, but he is hidden away along with Zipp who are dropping pianos with pos flips with rams for smashy Zipp. 

I don't have to change anything apart from take Diatribe and have a 5+ of Tombs it's an option.  I love throwing Zipp and the enemy about the table, but sometimes you want to either hide way or get the 4damage hits.   I really don't think the metalstinktpig needs to be involved.  If anything you take the mekapig to give Zipp and his crew positives on their charges and forget the scrap entirely unless you want Sparks.

Burt, Franky, and Zipp on Positives charges is as filthy as a pig :P

1 hour ago, Von Woozle said:

You need a 5+ of tombs from Earl for the positives which could be problem, but he only needs to be 6" away from the scrap.

Diatribe has an 8" range and no target number so an anything of masks or tombs to get it off and place a scrap marker next to one of my own models. 

Move model up the field 12", move Zipp, cast Diatribe, cheat in an ace of tombs, place scrap, move again, drop earl.  Next turn both are in place.  Yeah you have to active Earl 1st, but he is hidden away along with Zipp who are dropping pianos with pos flips with rams for smashy Zipp. 

I don't have to change anything apart from take Diatribe and have a 5+ of Tombs it's an option.  I love throwing Zipp and the enemy about the table, but sometimes you want to either hide way or get the 4damage hits.   I really don't think the metalshitpig needs to be involved.  If anything you take the mekapig to give Zipp and his crew positives on their charges and forget the scrap entirely unless you want Sparks.

Burt, Franky, and Zipp on Positives charges is as filthy as a pig :P

I think you're Healy focusing on that single ability on the porkchop. He might not be a doppleganger (I too think it's hard to compare those, since it's to me close to what trixie does and cost 1ss more 'cause she's an henchman), because he isn't, but throw it with the right timing and can surprise you how good he does. Bayou two cards, armor,6df, and all good triggers with a 9 inch charge is not something to joke about. Also considering how useful a walk 6 minion can turn out and, if well set, how good can a + in both your attack in charge be (as you stated), I think you're kinda going too hard on it., but it's your opinion and maybe in your experiences with the piece it didn't work out which is totally fine. I'd say that we can all chill and keep it easy curse-wise, since this is a cool post supposed to be useful o those who wants to get better or discover something about Zipp :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joel said:

So, 3 games yesterday. 2 wins and a draw left me in 4th but with the best gremlin badge.  The draw would have been a win if turn 5 had started too...

so - crews and games.

Game 1 was corner deployment guard the stash vs Ramos.  I took leave your mark and quick murder, as did my opponent.

my crew:

zipp (diatribe, gab, hovering), 7ss

earl

2 iron skeeters (spotlight, phe)

first mate (cap can't see, treasure map)

merris (do over)

taxidermist (dc)

2 stuffed piggies

my opponent used:

ramos (electrical summon, seize the day)

howard (energies)

rail golem (energies)

union miner

soulstone miner

brass arachnid

mobile toolkit

we completed turn 4, I scored all strat points, 2 for quick murder (Zipp taking Howard for a jetpack joyride) and 3 for leave your mark from Merris and the taxidermist.  I nearly denied quick murder, but a handful of times on a burning 11 rail golem meant the first mate died in the end. Game ended 8-4.  Taxidermist scored 2vp for me, but had the most uneventful game ever. Had the game gone the distance, 8-6 was the likely outcome.

Game 2 was stake a claim, standard deployment, against neverborn zoraida.  My opponent took 

Zoraida (hexbag, tarot, crystal ball)

nekima

mysterious emissary (zoraida upgrade)

2 gupps

doppleganger

2 wisps

which suprised me as my go-to when I play neverborn are silurids.  I used a new crew for me:

zipp (same upgrades)

earl

first mate (usual upgrades)

burt (dc)

francois (dc, do over)

2 iron skeeters (phe, spotlight)

suffed piggie

I took leave your mark again, but also hunting party.  My opponent took marked for death and leave your mark. 

Turn 1 I had 2 stake a claim markers down - iron skeeters had carried burt and frank and made them fast - one on each flank - and they had done their thing.  Frank had also killed a  voodoo doll.  Zipp had introduced some gupps to piano music too.  Nekima came in from some obeys from Z, killed franks skeeter, but he was left alive.  Zipp spent the rest of the game (which finished in turn 3) keeping nekima and doppelgänger busy and away from frank and Earl who dropped more stake and scheme markers.

the first mate spent a lot of time hemmed, but he and Burt killed the other gupps and a summoned changeling for hunting party.  The first mate got marked for death but survived the game. He never got across the centreline, game finished 6-0.  Had we had more time, a 10-1 was the likely outcome. 

Game 3 was close deployment turf war vs. Somer.  

The somer crew was:

Somer (family tree, do over)

pigapult

3 bayou gremlins

slop hauler

trixie (gun for a lady)

frank (stilts)

2 skeeters

2 stuffed piggies.

i decided to stick with the same crew I used in game 2.

my opponent chose claim jump and frame for murder (trixie) and I chose frame for murder (frank) and show of force.  My choice of frame here was my one poor scheme choice of the day - I should have gone for eliminate the leadership aside had huge soulstone advantage and my crew was more killy.  Hey-ho.

i threw burt and frank forward and took chucks and stones off his henchmen and weathered the pigapult storm.  I gave away 3 points for FFM when Zipp killed trixie, and by the end of turn 2 I was down 5-2, although I'd basically locked in the 2 more show of force points by killing trixie and frank. I then started killing my way through his crew trying to make him kill frank, but he didn't bite - this did mean I prevented any more claim jump points though and nearly blocked a turf war too, but the pigapult through a bayou gremlin into scoring range.  

I kept on killing - Zipp using up we go on the pigapult - and left him with only Somer, slop hauler and a wounded bayou gremlin. I'd killed 15 models and only lost a skeeter, earl and a piggies I'd blown up myself to kill one of his skeeters.

he couldn't score turf war turn 4 and would not if we had started turn 5 either as he would not have had 2 models left, but the game ended 6-6.  If we had played turn 5, the score would have been 7-6 to me.

so lessons:

the pair of skeeters with Burt/Frank is a useful tool when I need speed or agression. 

I might be able to get more functionality out of it though by making them 2 lightning bugs and having 7 free SS for other things

i need to trust myself more with killing - the crew could easily have brought Somer below half wounds for a vp, if not killed him outright. 

There you go though, hope it helps

Sorry for the 4th place but I'm glad you tried Frank out, how did you found yourself using him? I've beeing messing with skeeters too after leaving them home for a while, tag teaming with sparks and it worked out pretty well! They're just so fragile :|  Also as anote, i used to put FFM on Frnak quite often, but i found out that it works only when you know your enemy has to kill it no matter what; if there's one Gremlin that is (in)fmous among al is definetl Frank, and people know what you're gonna do with him, and that he's a perfect target for it (at least one with some expirience). So, it could be a good idea to maybe use FFM as a ''shield' for Frank (in other words, you make it obvious), while you put it on something less suspicious but still dangerous for the enemy player (in one tournament for example, I got full points out of the First mate).

15 minutes ago, Joel said:

4th is fine ?  Frank does what he says on the tin - not really flexible, but very hitty and useful I. The right scheme pool.

Indeed! Also, for me, against any Arcanist 1 or 2 Lighitng Bugs are almost autoinclude; ignoring armor is huge and in my last tournament one simply melted a Railgolem :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joel said:

Can you just not with the swearing please von woozle?  I really don't appreciate it. 

Sure it sorry it wont happen again.  It's not like I was being rude just adding a bit of humor I'm sorry that it upset anyone.  But what I said is all correct right so no need to spend 7SS on to get a scrap marker when you have diatribe and one of 20+ cards.