Lines on a Gaming Mat

porcelain

Looks like you're missing close deployment (which would be forming the center square you're talking about, I think) and whatever the L shaped ones that go 9" in are called, and there are two circle widths at the center- one 6" from the middle, one 6" from a 30mm placed in the middle (so, basically 12 and 13+ inch diameters). I'm also not sure what those really shallow corner curves are for.

You might also add the 3 inch bubble at the point where the centerline meets the board edge for outflank (I believe it was). Although the mat I bought, which has lines, also misses that one. Might be odd in cases where you flip a diagonal center line as it would add yet another circle at the mats corners. Maybe that is why.

Hey guys - thanks for all the help, that's great. I've been thinking about building a Malifaux board, and am keen to make it both modular, have at least two layers to the board (sewer/street) but maintain the markings that people seem to stress make the game much better.

The most elegant solution I've come up with so far is four 18 inch quarters, with attached pattern. The grid is 3 inch squares, and should be able to be put together in any way and still keep the lines you'd need.

Two questions:

1. Have I got more or less all the lines I'm likely to need?

2. Are there certain lines that are more important than others - lines you might use on one rare deployment vs ones that come up all the time?

gog2.JPG

If you print all those lines in all quarters you'll have lots of unused lines. 12" circles are only used for the corners of the board, not centre or mid edges. 6"+15 mm circles are only used for the centre of the board, not corners or mid edges. 6" circles are not used for mid edges. Diagonal lines not crossing the centre of the board aren't used for anything.

Outflank is 3" from where the centre lines meets the board edge, on the line, so would only be a notch. Inspection is a 4" circle from where the centre lines meets the board edge.

Also, your 12" "circles" aren't circles, if they were they would all touch at the centre. It's hard to eyeball the smaller circles but I would double check them before printing anything.

Unused lines is inevitable if it's going to be modular, I think, but I take your point. I'm hoping that by painting it cleverly, they'll be subtle. If this project is ever a go-er I'll make a thread about it.

The 12 inch circles should work - if this is a 3 ft x 3 ft board, the hypotenuse of a quarter of it (the diagonal line across the middle above) is root(18^2+18^2)- about 25 inches long, so a 12 inch radius wouldn't quite get up to the halfway mark.

• 3 months later...