The Transcredible Exploits of four Malifaux Newbies

Swiglitz

Nah I totally get it.  I've tried tailoring my Master choices to the strategies in the past but it never really seems to work out for me so I've instead just taken to using my favorite Master regardless of the strategy and scheme and then worry about tailoring the rest of the crew as needed (but still sticking with a core crew).

To be more specific: I love running Lynch in Neverborn.  I don't know why but he gels with me very very well.  I used to try to hop over to Pandora or Lilith when schemes and strategies seemed to favor them, but I never did well as they played so different than Lynch.  So instead I start with my core list:

Lynch

Huggy w/Fears Given Form

Graves

Illuminated x2

Then I pick upgrades and additional crew members to round things out from there, usually picking things from the following pool: Depleted, Beckoners, Terror Tots, Barbaros, Bishop

I don't know if that helps you at all, but maybe it'll give you an idea for how to keep yourself from feeling so scatterbrained as you build your lists.

• Like 2

That does help thanks :D

I've been super slow updating for the game last week, but my list was:

Asami with a Heavenly Design and Nefarious Pact

Amanjaku

Ohaguro with a Taste for Flesh

Ama No Zako with Recalled Training

Chiaki with Pull of the Grave

Ten Thunder Bro

Tengu

Wastrel

The strat was Squatters Rights and I took Bodyguard (on Chiaki) and Breakthrough (LitS, Deliver a Message and Outflank being the others).

My plan was to nuke anything scary with Ama No and Ohaguro, run schemes with my 3 minions and summon distractions as and when I needed.  Learning from last time, I didnt summon a Jorogumo in turn 1 (though I had the card!), opting to save a couple of tasty cards for Turn 2 instead.  I ran the Ten Thunder Bro and Tengu up the right flank to start on schemes with my Wastrel loitering on the left looking to take pot-shots at anyone coming forward to claim markers or attempt Breakthrough, Outflank or Bodyguard.

I feel my biggest mistake was in not being able to resist double charging the Gremlin Emissary with Ama No and Ohaguro Turn 1...:lol:.  Turns out I'm an aggressive player...  Sadly, they couldnt quite kill it, even after I burned through my tasty cards that I'd planned to save for Turn 2!  He was left on 1 wound which was easily plinked off Turn 2.  Ma's Revenge was quite something to behold as poor Ohaguro was smashed to a pulp with a wooden spoon :(.  I learnt that although she's a Henchman, she's not bomb proof!  I need to remember to plan for exit strategies as well as getting my hits in if I'm going to play so aggressively.  Ama No proved much more tricky to get rid of and did a fab job of being generally quite a pain sat in the middle of the board with the objectives.

Our game ended Turn 3 (it was a slow one!) mainly as we are both learning new crews and models, but we tallied up the scores at 6-3 in my favour.

I couldnt stop Ma from scoring the Squat marks, though Turn 4 I feel might have swung things in my favour.  Angry monkeys and a Jorogumo (I cant help myself) had munched through Burt Jebson (after he passed Asami a message) as well as a couple of Ma's support minions which left me solidly in control of the right flank.  Having said that, my left wasn't looking so hot, with my Wastrel teetering on 1 would vs a Crier and a sneaky gremlin running into my half to make a start dropping markers for Breakthrough.  My plan to deal with that was to bring Asami home and fire off a couple of monkeys to kill and remove markers in Turns 4 and 5.

Overall it was a fun game, I made some silly mistakes, and further realised my lack of patience is my greatest weakness.  I'm getting to grips with the mechanics of Asamis crew and how her summoning works - I'll definitely  be using her more in the coming weeks :)

• Like 1

From an observers perspective, this was a much more fun game than your previous one. Both you and Suvalas seemed much more comfortable with your crews and it played a lot smoother.

I think you've really hit the nail on the head with a lack of patience. Launching both your big hitters at the Gremlin Emissary in turn one without an escape plan was pretty reckless and getting Ohaguro obliterated because of it put you at a disadvantage for the rest of the turn. Having said that, I don't think anyone (except Suvalas) was quite prepared for how rapid, and how deadly Mah Tuckett was going to be.

Using Angry Blue Monkeys as guided missiles seemed to be the way to go and your turn three was pretty stellar, setting you up nicely to put Suvalas in a tough spot for turn 4 had we gotten that far.

As far as the Gremlins go, they're slippery buggers aren't they? Mah Tuckett and Burt Jebsen in particular seem very good at what they do. I shall have to keep an eye on them next time I play Suvalas.

This week it's Me vs. Shadowfane. Ressers vs. Neverborn. I always enjoy playing Shadowfane, he's a very canny opponent and Neverborn are so fast I nearly always end up abandoning my plans on turn two as I'm so out of position. Hopefully I'll be able to post some thoughts on the game tomorrow after we play tonight.

:)

• Like 2

So, yesterday, as mentioned up-thread by Swiglitz, it was his and my turn to hit the table - Neverborn vs Ressers - always a game that makes both of us curse at some point - him because my stuff is so fast, and me because I just can't kill shit fast enough before it comes back....

We played the following setup:

Deployment: Corner

Strategy: Turf war.

Schemes: Line in the Sand, Bodyguard, Assassinate, Make them Suffer, Take Prisoner.

As a side note, I *really* dislike that scheme pool (although it would be easier if I was allowing myself the whole stable of Neverborn Masters...) - I find assassinate basically undoable against Ressers, Take prisoner is VERY sketchy, and given I was basically limiting myself to Dreamer or Collodi (I'm trying to use Masters I didn't use last time we played, which rules out Lilith and Pandora), I didn't fancy Make them suffer, either...

Although I know that summoners are basically gold in Turf war, I quite fancied trying out the puppet master, so the crew I took was as follows:

SS cache: 5

Collodi: Fated, Strum the Threads, Threads of Fate

2x Marionette

Widow Weaver: A thousand faces

Arcane Effigy

Brutal Effigy

Bunraku

Coryphee

Mannequin

Perfomer.

Although not the most optimised crew (it's mostly just a bunch of thematic models thrown in to see how they work) I did have a FEW plans for the game - The Mannequin/Performer module was there to do Line in the Sand (aided by any other minion that happened to be nearby) and the board included a nice bit of LOS-blocking terrain for Ht1 models just inside the Turf War zone, so the Marionettes job was basically to sit there and score me the Strat whilst other models accomplished something. Threads of Fate was there because Ressers and Belles. I declared LITS and took Bodyguard on the Weaver, hoping to fill the Turf War zone with markers and then sit her in the middle of them with her Terrifying helping to protect her with the reduced WP from the webs.

I rather assumed, given the scheme pool, that I'd see Reva across the board from me, but instead was confronted by Kira and a bunch of Spirits!

The plan proceeded more or less as I wanted, and by the time we finished turn 4 (at which point we had to stop due to time - we're still remembering how to play, and we are speeding up, honest!) I had all 4 markers down for LITS, although Widow Weaver got murdered horribly turn 4, the only upside being that Swig had also taken Bodyguard on Jakuna Ubume, and I managed to kill her as well, thus denying it to both of us!

Despite Swig feeling that he still hasn't quite gotten Kira down yet, I never felt in a safe position, with Ikiryo turning up, Izamu tying up swathes of my crew at once, and Shikome turning my Coryphee into scrap (didn't realise they could ignore armour!) and being generally a pain.

Issues on my part - despite constantly telling myself about the bubble of Collodis influence, I kept him out of range to affect half my crew for half the game, which was....annoying.  Also, given how I used him, I suspect my playstyle is better suited towards a bag of props build instead.

To be honest, if we'd have carried on, despite at the end of turn 4 being effectively 6-5 up (Swig took Take prisoner on Collodi and managed to get 2vp from it) I feel that if the game had carried on, I might have stalled out in the face of Kira and her wave of spirits.

But, learning experiences are a thing!

Next week, we start on GG18 Strats and Schemes! Fun fun fun... :P

• Like 1

I can sum my experience of last night's game in one sentence:

"Oh ... I'd forgotten that."

I do not feel like I did well.

Shadowfane and I played and it's always a close game with him as he really knows he's stuff. This time was to be no different.

I um'd and ah'd over which master I wanted to take for quite a while given the horrible scheme pool and finally settled on Kirai. I've only taken her once before and really wanted more table time as my previous outing was pretty poor. Also, summoners are really good at Turf War.

My crew selection was:

Kirai w/ Unforgiven, Vengeance will be mine, and Swirling Aether.

Lost Love

Datuse Ba w/Spirit Whispers

Izamu w/ Spirit Beacon

Jaakuna Ubume w/Unnerving Aura

2 x Onryo

My first mistake happened before we even set up for the game. I was pretty sure Shadowfane was going to take The Dreamer as he's expressed a desire to play him for a while and Turf War was a perfect strat to try him out. I'd spent a good few lunch breaks pouring over Pull My Finger trying to wrap my head around what would probably hit the table and how to deal with it. I was, therefore, quite dismayed when he announced Collodi as his master. Still, I thought, how hard can he be?

Turns out, quite hard.

The board was set up with a fairly open area around the Turf War marker, and a collection of small buildings and low cover representing an abandoned mining town around the edges. We'd flipped corner deployment which can be highly restrictive sometimes but I wasn't too concerned as the vast majority of my crew was Incorporeal.

My plan was advance on the Marker at a reasonable pace with Kirai, Lost Love, Datsue Ba, and Izamu. I would summon nice tanky models along the way. I wanted to hold the marker with my summons while hunting and killing Shadowfane's models with Izamu and Datsue Ba. I would have Kirai sit just outside the Turf War zone so her Malevolence Aura would cover my models and keep her in range to summon reinforcements, while the Lost Love would follow my heavy hitters, to extend Malevolence over them and offer some healing support. I wanted Jaakuna Ubume to loiter out on one flank and draw away any models I couldn't nuke with Izamu or Datsue Ba and my Onryo would run interference/drop scheme markers to confuse Shadowfane as to my intentions regarding schemes.

With this in mind, I took Bodyguard on Jaakuna and Take a Prisoner on Collodi. I figured Jaakuna would be safely away from any major fighting, and activating her last every turn would mean he'd be burning cards to bypass Manipulative so hopefully he'd target other, more threatening models instead. I was pretty sure I'd be able to engage Collodi at the end of the game to score 2 VP's, and if all went to plan he'd have no support so I'd get the full 3.

I was half right.

My second and third mistakes came in quick succession. Because of Incorporeal I neglected to pay enough attention to terrain, which allowed Shadowfane to move his Puppets and up into the scoring zone and remain behind cover, blocking my LoS and forcing Izamu to take a circuitous route around the board and waste a couple of turns not killing things. I also didn't stick to my plan. I've seen the speed of Neverborn before so shouldn't have been surprised when the majority of Shadowfane's crew screamed up the table in turn 1, but I still panicked a bit and threw away my only good cards of the first turn summoning a Hanged in a stupid position only to watch it get killed before it activated. A complete waste of two Seishin, one of Kirai's AP and my only high card that turn.

I settled into a more comfortable routine in the mid game, going back to my plan and methodically murdering the Neverborn but I struggled with activation order again. Shadowfane targeted the Lost Love fairly early, drastically reducing my Malevolence aura. I summoned in Ikiryo right in the middle of a pack of scoring models, but despite the benefits of Adversary she managed to do exactly nothing. For two turns in a row. She died late in the third turn, due to the surprising number of Ca actions in Shadowfane's crew. I never got a second chance to summon her in as Shadowfane was very selective in his targets, and kept forgetting to keep Izamu and Datuse Ba in range of Malevolence.

During the last couple of turns I was starting to get swamped by Web Markers and most of crew was struggling to achieve much so I made a concerted effort to kill off Widow Weaver. As it happens this was a lucky coincidence as Shadowfane had taken Bodyguard on her. I announced my choice of Bodyguard on turn 4 and watched in dismay as Collodi proceeded to obliterate her. By this point I had managed to put a sizable dent in Shadowfane's model count but was getting increasingly frustrated with myself regarding timings, and keeping things inside auras. I'd also completely ignored Shadowfane's Performer/Mannequin combo having used my Onryo to summon off of earlier so was powerless to stop his LitS scoring late in the game.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with Shadowfane's assessment that I was in a stronger position at the end of turn 4. I was pretty sure I could kill off his scoring models  to stop Turf War, and possibly isolate Collodi, but I had nothing in position to stop the Arcane Effigy, the Performer, and the Mannequin waltzing into the scoring zone late in the turn.

Overall, I felt the game went better than my outing against Suvalas and his Gremlin horde, but I still have a lot to learn. I'm toying with the idea of taking fewer spirits in the crew to maximise the impact of Malevolence and summoning what I need. Perhaps Shieldbearers as they give me the best of both worlds, but I'm not sure I can justify going out of theme to include them.

Either way, I'm facing Vaiuri next in the Ply for Information Strat with a very Interact heavy scheme pool so I'll probably be leaving Kirai and her summoning shenanigans behind for a game.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm going to take against Ten Thunders instead ...

• Like 1

I mean, maaaybe?

You'd have to kill of Collodi to stop me scoring, since I had scrap markers in position to just summon Marionettes back into the Turf War zone, but you also had plenty of beaters (Shikome, Datsue, Izamu) that could have possibly dealt with them and attacked the Effigy/Performer - and Collodi was killing things like a boss, but he's one model - there's no way he was killing enough in one turn for me to be able to turn that around, I don't think.

And yeah, I do want to use Dreamer - but one of the reasons I moved away from him was I knew we were shifting over to GG18 after this week, and several of the GG18 strats/schemes specify summoned models don't count (like the Ours game I'm playing against Suvalas next week) and I didn't want to start relying on summons - he's coming out soon, don't worry - possibly not next week though...

• Like 1

Nah, I think if you'd summoned into the scoring zone I'd have really been in trouble. I couldn't afford to kill Collodi, I might have thrown an attack at him with someone to try to push him further away so I'd score the full 3VP for Take a Prisoner and possibly get him out of range of a good summon, but I think I'd have just run out of activations before I stopped you scoring.

In hindsight I shouldn't have summoned that stupid Hanged so early on, and hung on to the card for later in the game. I should have paid more attention to ranges on Aura's and web markers, I should have used the Onryo to go after your scheme team instead of summoning off them, and should have kept Jaakuna Ubume further away, but I forgot her Lure has an 18" range.

Still, every game I lose is a game I learn from :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy!

After another week's absence due to illness (the UK seems to be undergoing some sort of super-cold/flu epidemic at the moment) we're back with another transcredible exploit!

This week Vaiuri and I played. Vai and I have quite a chequered past on the streets of Malifaux. When we first started playing I seemed to grasp the rules and various mechanics much quicker than she did and consequently I won the majority of our early encounters. However, our later games were far different as Vai soon mastered some particularly nasty Guild crews including a supremely annoying Lucius crew that handed me my first and only loss when playing as McMourning, so I was expecting a challenging game.

Having played a couple of warm-up games over the last few weeks we decided we change things up a bit and play using the GG18 strats and schemes. We flipped Ply for Information as our strat, with Surround Them, Dig their Graves, Inescapable Trap, Take a Prisoner, and Public Demonstration as a scheme pool. This gave us a very Interact heavy set of things to do and a rather perverse feeling of not wanting to actually kill very much.

With that in mind I set about selecting my crew. I chose:

Molly w/Forgotten Life, Tear of the Gorgon, and Back on the Job.

The Necrotic Machine.

Phillip and the Nanny w/Take back the Night, and Haunting Cries

Chiaki

Rogue Necromancy w/Pack

2 x Crooligans

Dead Doxy

I had a pretty good idea about what I wanted to do, and how I was going to play this game. My thoughts were to use the Crooligans to bounce in and out of Vai's crew Interacting for Ply for Information and using their Always on the Move place effect to get away after. Meanwhile I would use Chiaki and Phillip to aggressively shut down Vai's attempts at Interactions through a combination of Chatty, The Calling, and Condition Removal. The Dead Doxie would provide support with movement shenanigans and scheme marker drops. Finally, the Rogue would combo with Molly to eliminate any models that were causing me problems while the Necrotic Machine ran interference and generally just got in the way.

Knowing that summons probably wouldn't be much use to me given the timings of Interactions I decided that I would probably only summon if I felt the game was getting away from me and needed some firepower, or if Vai eliminated both my Crooligans.

With my crew set, I chose Dig their Graves and Take a Prisoner as my schemes. I knew I could probably kill at least one model a turn with the Rogue/Molly combo so if I felt I couldn't score the strat on any given turn I would try for the scheme to make sure I kept in the running on VP's. I was also fairly confident that I would be able to isolate at least one of Vai's models late in the game for Take a Prisoner, so I chose to put that on Sensei Yu. 

Vai played as Shen Long with a crew full of monks and dragons that confused the hell out of me with it's many, many conditions and card draws so I'll leave her to talk about her selections and tactics.

The first couple of turns went more or less as expected. Although Vai surprised me by setting up her entire crew bunched up in a corner where I was more spread out along the one flank. I used the Doxie's activation to push Phillip forward and drop a couple of scheme markers for some extra cards and ended up having to slog across the table with the Rogue as he was quite far away from the action after Vai set up, but by the end of turn 2 I was happy things would work out. We both got 1 Gather Intel in the 2nd turn so no scores were forthcoming, but in the third turn I managed to get both my Crooligans to Ply Vai Shadow Emissary and Bampf away to safety before murderising it with my Molly/Rogue combo netting me a score for the strat, and Dig their Graves. Phillip's chatty aura and scheme marker removal, coupled with Chiaki's Insignificant attack action and condition removal was giving Vai some real headaches by now and she was struggling to score, spending a lot of her AP reacting to my activations rather than pursuing her plans. By the end of turn 3 I was pretty happy with the way my crew was preforming. Vai had begun a to use a nasty little synergy of pushing my models out of their protective Chatty bubble, Interacting to get gather Intel and then pushing them away again with slow, so in turn 4 I threw caution to the wind and pushed my whole crew forward, enveloping most of Vai's models in overlapping layers of Black Blood, Chatty and Terrifying auras. I'd moved my Crooligans a bit too far in the previous turn so brought them back in ready for a late game rush on grabbing the strat. Meanwhile I'd started to isolate Sensei Yu with the Dead Doxy, drawing him inside my crew bubble and engaging him with Chiaki.

With time slipping away from us, we called the game at the end of turn 4. Vai grabbed a couple of VP's from the strat and Inescapable Trap, but I scored 2 more from Take a Prisoner leaving the end game total at 4 - 2 to me. Had we played a final turn I feel I'd have probably been okay, locking Sensei Yu down with a slightly more fighty model to stop him getting away, trying to kill the Ten Thunder Brother for Dig their Graves and letting me mess with Vai's scheme markers again and potentially a double Gather intel with the Crooligans, although that might have been quite risky.

On the whole the game went as I planned it, barring the movement shenanigans I had to do in the first couple turns to get all the models in their right positions. I don't think I'd have done much differently but I think Vai made a couple of key errors. Her bunching up allowed me to cover most of her crew with Chatty, something that annoyed her no end, and as far as I could see, there was no dedicated Beatstick in her crew capable of really threatening models like Phillip, or Chiaki which meant I was never in danger of losing those two incredibly useful tools.

Also, because of Molly's Back on the Job upgrade I knew which scheme markers she was dropping were important and was able to react appropriately. It's one hell of an upgrade for 2ss.

I did feel bad for Vai as it seemed everything she tried I had a hard counter for and it must have been very frustrating. Once I dropped the Shadowy Emissary it seemed almost like the game was over but she soldiered on and grabbed a couple of very clever VP's making me realise it ain't over until it's over.

I'm sure the others will chime in with their thoughts, but overall it was a good game. I've struggled in my last couple of games so this one has helped kick-start my delusions of adequacy.

Cheers,

I'll be totally honest - this game had me on the edge of a rage-quit :D  I think I did everything wrong, and while I had plans and clever ideas with what I WANTED to do, it just didnt play out that way at all.

I bunched up thinking I'd prefer to keep my crew together to play off the different aoe effects models have.  This turned out to be a huge mistake against this Molly crew.  Once I was stuck, terrain prevented me for changing my plans (buildings preventing pushes away) and I was left stubbornly trying to make a bad situation work while getting more and more angry that Swigs game was going so smoothly while mine fell to pieces.

I fell into my usual trap of biting off more than I could chew in terms of things to learn and be aware of.  While I thought Asami wasn't a good choice for the strat and schemes, with hindsight, playing as her might have been a better choice for me as I'm starting to get a feel for how she plays and remembering her rules.  Instead I got excited by another Master and set myself a tough job against a touch crew, a good player and a whole lot of schemey schemes.

I've covered my poor positioning.  I think my crew choice may have been a bit pants too.  I took:

Shen with Wandering River and the Low River Monk upgrade

Yu with Promising Disciple

Shadow with his Dawn upgrade

Low River Monk

10T Bro

Wandering River Monk

Charm Warder

Peasant

I took Public Demo and Inescapable Trap planning to pick on one of Swigs models and drag it in to score for either scheme. 

Turn 1 saw me play out a 9 card hand, which allowed me to pull a 10 in hand to top the 9 I'd started with >.<  This ate up the LRM's activation and most of what the Shadow was going to do turn 1.  I had the peasant drop a marker in the corner so he could summon a friend, but with Swig knowing what my schemes were the benefit of bluffing for Surround Them didn't pan out.  In the end I spent more time faffing about with conditions trying to get models and scheme markers where I wanted them and not enough time paying attention to what Swigs crew was doing to stop me - and he was VERY effective at it.

If there had been points awarded for faffing about and models doing to hockie-kockie I'd have been winning 100%.  As it was I ended up with a bad attitude and a taste for a reckoning...

Next time will be different.  Next time there will be blood.  A lot of blood.  Ideally theirs...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

I've just stumbled across this discussion and this last page has been entertaining reading, with some very good writing by all concerned. :)As far as play-testing various Neverborn and Resurrectionist crews go, do you do requests? :P

Hello!

I'm up for trying out a Resser crew if you have requests :)

Be warned though, I strive for mediocrity and don't always get there.

Because I'm bored, I thought I'd put something a little different up...

I actually have no idea who's reading this (I'd like to think at least one or two apart from the four of us are...), so just for something fun, I thought I'd put next weeks Deployment, Strats and Schemes up, along with the factions being used, and see if people want to guess Masters/crews being taken? I mean, obviously there's no prize, unless you count the smug feeling you get when you correctly guess someone's mindset.... so I guess that's a prize?

Bear in mind that, for me, at least, my crew is set in stone for next weeks games (I've had it built for the past week and a half, and nothing is going to change it now...) so in no way will you be helping me against Suvulas (or him against me, I'm fairly certain he's picked his crew as well, but for safety's sake, just do my Master/crew until he posts to say his crew is set?)

So....

Me: Neverborn

Suvalas: Gremlins

Corner Deployment

Strategy: Ours

Schemes: Dig their graves, Guarded Treasure, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force, Take prisoner.

And just to be fair, the one Master I have guaranteed I'm not taking is Lilith.

Aaaaaand..... go!

(No, this entire post wasn't just written because I'm waiting for green stuff to cure and I'm booooored...... not at all...)

• Like 2

I mean, if this becomes a regular thing (ie, if I get bored enough on a regular enough basis to keep doing it...) then sure.

But this time? Probably not, given that I actually showed both you and Swig the crew I'm taking next week... that might be a little too much of an advantage, no?....

:P

6 hours ago, Shadowfane said:

Me: Neverborn

Suvalas: Gremlins

Corner Deployment

Strategy: Ours

Schemes: Dig their graves, Guarded Treasure, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force, Take prisoner.

And just to be fair, the one Master I have guaranteed I'm not taking is Lilith.

Aaaaaand..... go!

(No, this entire post wasn't just written because I'm waiting for green stuff to cure and I'm booooored...... not at all...)

Disclaimer, I'm only confident enough with masters I own and I'm not entirely sure which ones you own. I will go with one I do know you own though. (Unless I'm hallucinating...)

Master: Titania, Royal Indignation, An Audience with the Queen, Behold My Glory
Reasoning: Titania can take a beating and is mobile with her flight. She should easily be able to do Undercover Entourage and Dig their Graves is practically written for her. With An Audience with the Queen she should even have a decent chance of doing Take Prisoner. Behold My Glory is practically stapled to her card and I chose Royal Indignation over Pact with the Grave Spirit because gremlins have a bunch of minions that can do stupid amounts of damage and being able to ignore parts of it is nice. Potentially I guess that AAwtQ or BMG could be replaced by Aether Connection if you really want to tank.

Crew:
Primordial Magic
Barbaros - Malifaux Provides
Mr. Graves
Lilitu
The Tooth
Rougarou
Mysterious Effigy

Reasoning: Barbaros for the Challenge/She will end us all tag team with Titania, Malifaux Provides so he can heal. Barbaros, Mr. Graves and Lilitu also give you three models that can do Guarded Treasure if you feel so inclined and Lilitu is another model that can help with Take Prisoner if you need/want. Tooth Rougarou challenge pounce combo should dig graves like nobody's business, especially against gremlins. That leaves only Show of Force out of the running. I wanted to put Retribution's Eye on Mr. Graves but lack the soul stones for it.

This was fun!

PS. I read and enjoy the thread. ;)

• Like 3

Ah, yes, I should mention that:

I own basically everything for Neverborn that's come out in plastic except the Spawn Mother/Gupps and the Crossroad 7 :P

The only reason I've ruled out Lilith is that I used her almost exclusively when we first started learning, and want to learn the other Masters (in this case, Titania, Dreamer, Collodi, Lucius, and Zoraida and Pandora - those last two get a pass because  I like their styles and I have them painted :P )

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shadowfane said:

I own basically everything for Neverborn that's come out in plastic except the Spawn Mother/Gupps and the Crossroad 7 :P

I'm only a little jealous. Only a little. Or so I keep telling myself.

I own Lilith, Jakob Lynch, Titania and Zoraida and Zoraida is the next master I want to learn. She should be pretty good in this pool as well. Silurids can relocate to where they're needed in order to swing the count for Ours, Juju doesn't really die (though if a swampfiend dies for him to come back that's still pretty much break even for that quarter). Zoraida can also obey your own pieces into position or your opponent out of theirs. I still think Titania is a better fit, out of the schemes only Undercover Entourage and Take Prisoner sound like really good schemes for Zoraida so Titania just has more legs to stand on.

In my (quite limited experience) opinion. :)

• Like 1

I can confirm that I too have cemented my crew for next week. Whether it's any good or not, only time will tell! This Ours strategy has me wondering as to the best approach, perhaps different approaches are all now decent???

As to what I have available, my options are a lot fewer than Shadowfanes' having picked Gremlins after a couple of years playing Outcasts. (As such I have most of the Outcasts models shy of waves 4 and 5)

I own Somer, Ophelia, Wong and Mah as Masters including their boxes.

Bayou Gremlins

Piglets

Criers

Wrastlers

Swine-Cursed

Banjonistas

Slop Haulers

Burt

Gracie

Merris

Sammy

Lucky Emissary

I think that's it... I'd be intrigued to hear others' views on what they think I might take too. I agree Shadowfane, this could be a fun thing to do :D

Suvalas

• Like 1

Curses! The Arcanists strike once more with Rasputina's power over winter leaving the other factions to cast about in dismay, their plans and schemes in tatters...

Or, in other words, this bloody weather we're having here in the UK atm has forced the cancellation of this weeks game (mostly down to me - Vai, Swig and Suvalas leave nearer the city, whereas I live in the hills, and currently can't get my car off my street...)

But never fear, we'll be back next week (I hope...)