The Transcredible Exploits of four Malifaux Newbies

Swiglitz

Ahoy!

Very recently, my friends and I discovered Malifux and after pretty much falling in love with the aesthetics and mechanics of the game began collecting and playing. With a handful of games under our collective belts, many miniatures are getting painted, rivalries are beginning to develop and inter-faction plots are starting to form.

With that in mind I thought it would be fun to detail our triumphs and failures, our victories and defeats and our painting progress for all and sundry to critique and enjoy as we explore the city. I hope that my fellow Newbies will follow me in this endeavour as we post battle reports, pictures of beautiful new miniatures and in-character banter on these forums. As our games progress I hope to cobble together some sort of narrative campaign structure which I will also post if there's a demand.

The four of us are still very new at this so any and all help/tactics/advice would be greatly appreciated, and try not to laugh too hard as fate kicks us in the ass over and over again ;)

Without further ado I shall introduce the players so far:

Swiglitz (me): Playing as Ressers with Dr. Douglas McMourning, Nicodem and Yan Lo.

Vaiuri (lovely and talented): Playing as Guild with Lady Justice, Sonnia and Perdita (and maybe Lucas McCabe).

Shadowfane (cunning and deadly): Playing as Neverborn with Lillith, Pandora and Jakob Lynch.

Suvalas (patient and thoughtful) Playing as Outcasts with Misaki and the Viks.

Please feel free to have a gander at our painting logs too over here:

Vaiuri: http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101019-vaiuri-paints-malifaux/

Shadowfane: http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100761-shadowfanes-random-models/

Suvalas: http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101347-suvalas-small-scale-showcase/

Swiglitz: Coming soon (honest!)

Guild (vaiuri) vs. Outcast (Suvalas) battle Report: http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101105-a-transcredible-battle-report-or-something/

With more to follow.

I hope you enjoy our transcredible exploits, see you soon! <_<

• Like 1

'On behalf of the Guild, welcome to Malifaux... <bzzzzzzzzt!>  Please have all ticket stubs and identification documents ready for inspection. <bzzzzzzzzzt!>  All goods to be declared please proceed to the inspection booth.' 

- Watcher #3.

I think so. As a budding resurrectionist/super-villain I believe I need to broaden my vocabulary when describing my fiendish plans and 'The Pesky Dr. Douglas McMourning' doesn't really cut it. Plus if I use big words to bamboozle my opponents it helps cover up the fact I haven't actually started painting my crews yet ;)

• Like 1

I'm not really sure the adjectives "cunning and deadly" really apply to me..... :P

Well, as much as Swig up at the top says I'm running Lilith, Pandora and Lynch, in a bid to both properly learn the game and quell my my raging butterfly syndrome (Oooo, shiny!)  I'm going to be limiting myself to running Panora only for at least the first couple of games (and no, the Lilth and Raspy games I've already had don't count, dammit!).

Also, I'm limiting myself to the plastic stuff, so my model pool is somewhat limited, but will get larger as more shiny stuff comes out :)

I'm not really sure the adjectives "cunning and deadly" really apply to me..... :P

Well, as much as Swig up at the top says I'm running Lilith, Pandora and Lynch, in a bid to both properly learn the game and quell my my raging butterfly syndrome (Oooo, shiny!)  I'm going to be limiting myself to running Panora only for at least the first couple of games (and no, the Lilth and Raspy games I've already had don't count, dammit!).

Also, I'm limiting myself to the plastic stuff, so my model pool is somewhat limited, but will get larger as more shiny stuff comes out :)

Lilith is great. Use her tree summoning ability to control the flow of the battlefield (cut people off from retreat, isolate your victim, or simply to block shooters). And while a grow list is great, make sure you try out other kinds of lists. She is very versatile.

As far as Pandora is concerned, her basic crew works great. Teddy has good synergy with Kade and can add some much needed beef. Mr. Tannen seems like he will be good with her (he didn't get to do much in the game I took him with Pandora, but that is mainly because we tried a multiplayer variant and I got ignored by people until the very end).

Well unfortunately it would seem that there would be two Doctors McMourning, but I have been told by far more knowledgeable players than myself that a Same-master game can teach you loads about how you use your master, and other options that are available to you with your master. So that might be a fun little experiment. And my usual gaming partner plays Neverborn and is particularly handy with his Lilith crew. :)

So 'the other guy' and I had another practice game last night. I took Lady J, he plumped for Misaki as Outcasts. 35 stones full rules. Things I learnt/observed:

Lady J ruins peoples days. Sitting her by a cluster of scheme markers and thwaking anything that comes close worked out well!

Ronin are awesome, particularly when you allow your friends to model rep them by using Perdita! They are really tough to get rid of, super stabby and have that cheeky little push that can get them out of harms way. Annoying.

Combo-ing schemes and strategy seemed to work well for me this time around. Line in the sand, breakthrough and squatters rights all piled up nicely. Once I had my markers down it became a game of hanging on to them and using choice models to run breakthrough in the final turn.

Having unimpeded models dropping markers in rough terrain is a good idea!

That's all my random thoughts for now. Swig is planning on jotting together a little battle report, hopefully it will jog my memory!

Well, no doubt I'll be firing off Neverborn-based questions on a semi-regular basis, so I wouldn't worry too much about having much to reply to :P

Also, where's this damn battle report! I want to see what goes on when I'm stuck working in the lab overnight, dammit! :P

P.S. for my fellow newbies - I've been reading the rulebook again, and noticed something I think we might have missed (or at least I did)  - you can pick the red joker even when it's flipped as part of a negative twist! Except when you also flip the black joker, of course (well, unless you have upgrades to ignore the black joker/treat it as the red joker - damn you, Rasputina!....)

Hold your horses big fella, a battle report of this calibre takes time (there are photo's and everything). Plus it's really nice outside and Vaiuri and I have booze and sushi so it may be a while longer.

In response to your note about the Red Joker, I knew that. Have you flipped a Red Joker on a Negative flip and not picked it then? Whoops :o

Vai is going to work on the Wiki a little bit, but when she's done I'll start on the Battle report ... Promise.

Hey folks, I've posted our first Battle Report in the Battle Reports section, here's the link: http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101105-a-transcredible-battle-report-or-something/

I think from now, I'm just going to update the first post with links to stuff as we do it so you don't have to trawl through the rest of this to find the new stuff.

Be warned the following batle report contains tactical errors, content of a comedic nature and un-censored pictures of both Greg and my cats.

Readers of a delicate constitution are advised to proceed with caution.

Looking forward to all your comments :)

Reporting in as, 'The Other Guy'

Looking forward to getting my mitts into the Outcasts properly. I have my scenic bases on order, so as soon as they arrive I can start constructing and painting these beautiful Miniatures! I can then upload an appropriate Profile Pic too ;)

Can't wait for another game later on this week.

Enjoyed reading the Battle Report. It's not that I fully forgot Line in the Sand, but I was too scared to go too far forward to plant them :o. I also didn't know about the cap on VP's per scheme. Need a good read of the Rulebook prior to Friday