Pine Box Wp duel

Dirial

Question

I have asked on two occasions in other threads and there seems to be a disagreement about the Wp duel caused by the Pine Box action:

Pine Box causes a Wp vs. Wp duel against a buried model when the Marshal next activates. Which model is the attacker? In my interpretation it should be the Marshal who attacks (and thus keeps the lid shut). Thus, buried friendly models should be able to relent to stay buried.

I have heard the opposite opinion, though. Is this a misunderstanding on my part, or a hang-up from the old 1.5 days, when it was indeed so that the target of the Pine Box initiated the duel?

Help from the rule masters, please?

4 answers to this question

At the beginning of this model’s Activation, it must succeed on an opposed Wp vs Wp duel with the target. If this model loses, the target is Unburied in base contact.

It specifies that the model in the box is the 'Target'..........therefore, by process of elimination, the DM must be the Attacker.

It specifies that the model in the box is the 'Target'..........therefore, by process of elimination, the DM must be the Attacker.

I agree. The target is the defender, the Marshall is the attacker. The first sentence in Pine Box is "Target model is buried". The last sentence states " if this model loses, the target is unburied in base contact". Having it written this way helps the DM to keep friendly models boxed.