The Bad Juju thread!

Ikvar

As an indirect request from Joel, I thought it would be nice if this awsome model had his own awsome thread, where we can post all of the awsome crew lists and stuff we know about him... because he is awsome ;)

But seeing as I am still very much a noob with the Neverborn, I am going to leave it up to all of you awsome guys!

... and I furthermore promis not to use the word awsome anymore in this thread ^^

Neverborn Crew - 40 - Dustup

Bad Juju -- 7 Pool
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Hexed Among You [1]

Silurid [7]
Silurid [7]
Silurid [7]
Waldgeist [6]
Waldgeist [6]

I dont have my cards in front of me but i believe this setup lets you plop a few Waldgeist or Silurid at your enemies doorstep and bring  in bad juju as soon as one of them falls. Get initial slowdown board controll and possibly grab a kill or 2. Probably wont make friends this way tho.

Primordial Magic, or Malifaux Child could be fun, but still leave a couple wanting. The only things that really fit the bill for 4SS remaining are mysterious effigy, terror tot, or wicked doll. A single tot can do a lot for you scheme wise, and is probably worth it, over letting your extra stones sit in the dirt, or the primordial magic for the "Rush of Magic" extra draw/discard would be nice (it would at least make up for the two stones you'd be dropping over the course of the game).

ENinja

Edit: Mysterious effigy is also an interesting thought- the 0 action isn't worth much as far as Juju is concerned- BUT. Disguised fate (which lets models within 2" cheat face down!) can be very interesting/awesome. (I really love the idea of throwing a low card down and trying to bluff them into cheating higher.)

I just won a game with this crew:

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Lilith -- 4 Pool
 +Beckon Malifaux [1]
 +Living Blade [2]
 +Fear Given form [1]

Cherub [3]
Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
McTavish [11]
 +Hexed Among You [1]
Silurid [7]
Waldgeist [6]
Waldgeist [6]

Vs a Nicodem crew with Dead Rider, 2 Belles, 2Dogs and a few other models I cant remember :/

I used Lilith Tangle Shadows in combination with a forward deployed Silurid with Hexed Among you, and got my Bad Juju in the middle of the enemy in round one. He was not able to attack, as he used both his AP on walk, but I had 3 of his main models in melee range and could use his 0 that hit all the models, giving them slow and 2dmg. To my big surprise he was able to tank very efficiently, and although he had no living models so his terrifying did not do much, it was still a pain for my opponent to activate beside him with Fears Given Form- if they also had to make horror duels it would have been even more nasty.

I won the initiative and killed his Dead Rider with flurry, used his 0 again that hit the last two models yet again.

I had meanwhile gotten Lilith in melee range with his master Nicodem, and although I could not kill him with his wall of undead and minions that gave him 2+ armor etc. I ended up locking down almost his entire team with just Bad Juju and Lilith. He then killed both Lilith and Bad Juju in turn 4, but at this point I had also killed half his team, and used all the other models to freely place scheme markers. The match ended 7-3 to me.

Quick thoughts:
Cherub was more or less useless.
Bad Juju is both able to tank and give a lot of damage, and his 0 is surprisingly useful.
Silurids are really amazing at placing scheme markers, and leaping out of engagement. This was my first match with them, but they seem really worth every SS.

I need to try this list a bit more, but so far I am extremely pleased with this crew, and I am loving Bad Juju more and more ^^

I am still not sure if this crew would work even better with Zoraida instead on Lilith, but I am going to try more or less the same list with Zoraida another time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought about this list:

Lilith -- 5 Pool
 +Beckon Malifaux [1]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
 +Living Blade [2]

Primordial Magic [2]
Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Killjoy [13]
Silurid [7]
Waldgeist [6]
Waldgeist [6]

The idea is to begin Killjoy buried, then throw Bad juju in the face on the enemy as fast as possible. When Bad Juju then goes down, Killjoy can have his fun and meanwhile the others do schemes etc... do you guys think this is in any way viable, or am I just showing my lack of knowledge for strategy in this game? ^^

You could also do it with Zoraida instead, trading a bit of the dmg with some more CC and board-controle:

Zoraida -- 6 Pool
 +Animal Shape [2]
 +Hex Bag [1]
 +Hexed Among You [1]

Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Killjoy [13]
Nurse [6]
Silurid [7]
Silurid [7]

Other then the strategy above, you could summon the Voodoo Doll on turn one, and use the last AP to MC Bad Juju a bit up the board.

Actually the bad juju says that "when he is killed, he is not killed..." But the ability IS triggered by him being killed.

Killjoy says, "when a friendly model is killed or sacrificed..."

Since you are the controlling player of both models, you can choose which order to apply the abilities in - you can apply the killjoy Unbury first, then the bad juju eternal one.

My reading is that you can pop him out of bad juju dying.

The Lilith version of the list is very similar to something I've used a few times myself - generally in reckoning games.

This weekend, in a 45ss event I used:

Lilith (fears, living blade, beckon malifaux)

Bad juju (fears, eternal)

Primordial magic

Silurid

Waldgeist

Killjoy

6ss pool

We had spring the trap in the pool - on turn 2 I jumped a silurid close enough to drop a scheme marker near pandora, then floated in the primordial magic to be the second one.

Since killjoy was buried, he had the model advantage, so I got my 3vp - and sacrificing the primordial magic brought out killjoy.

I could see the zoraida one working, but not for reckoning. Turf war maybe?

• Like 1

I dont know if I want Fear given form on Lilith, or wicked mistress- I just think WM plays really well with Living Blade and Beckon Malifaux, and it furthermore enables me to use Tangle Shadows on Bad Juju, which would be a bit hard with Fear on her.

I have also been looking at the Nekima model- it would cost the same as Killjoy, and they actually have a lot of similarities. What are your thought on the Nekima Model?

yes and no - she is even more killy and can use soulstones, but she also can, despite that, die faster too.  Killjoy can really tank with all his built-in healing.

nekima can fly

killjoy can pop up anywhere on the board can charge for 1AP and has a ranged attack with a drag

depends on the list, the opponent and the terrain IMO

Hmm, that are some good points :)

- I never understood his ranged attack though- seeing as he needs to charge if he is not engaged with anyone, he can only use it if he have just killed someone, and then use it with his second AP?

Actually the bad juju says that "when he is killed, he is not killed..." But the ability IS triggered by him being killed.

Killjoy says, "when a friendly model is killed or sacrificed..."

Since you are the controlling player of both models, you can choose which order to apply the abilities in - you can apply the killjoy Unbury first, then the bad juju eternal one.

My reading is that you can pop him out of bad juju dying.

Actually the attacking model and then the defending model have to resolve their abilities first before any other models (pg 46 of the big rulebook).  So if Bad Juju is being killed he is probably the defender and would have to resolve Eternal before Killjoy can resolve Blood Sacrifice.