Children of December Newly Done

Doc T

Just started Malifaux before Xmas. I actually haven't played a game yet but I have painted up a boxed set:

Arcanists007_zps07d38ada.jpg

Arcanists005_zps85fd9501.jpg

Arcanists002_zpscd03e9d5.jpg

Rasputina and the Wendigo were done with washes over white undercoat then mid tone dip followed by a little highlighting. The ice golem was a wash of GW Lothern Blue over white followed by gradual highlighting up to white. Bases were just little bits of slate from a garden centre plus sand sunk into a polyfilla/PVA mix. Snow was GW snow effect (made a paste of the snow in PVA then sprinkled more snow on top). Now to play ...

• Like 1

These are really impressive. Can I ask, what is a "mid tone dip"? I'm trying out ink washes over white undercoat at the moment on the Rail Crew (they're nearly done so I'll post them up soon), I'm happy with the results but they don't look as good as these. I'm thinking "mid tone dip" is the difference.....oh and painting ability...;)

"Mid tone dip" is the Army Painter Strong Shade dip (although I never dip miniatures, the shade is liberally painted on with a thick brush):

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/army-painter

The dip is much thicker than ink washes and flows into details better. It dries gloss so needs a coat of matt varnish. Some people hate the stuff, but I've found it gives fantastic results on all sorts of figures (from Warmachine to Napoleonics).