Scatter Terrain

edonil

Been meaning to post this up for a while, but keep getting distracted for various reasons. Does anyone have any good advice on scatter terrain for Malifaux? I'm not so much looking for ideas, those I have aplenty, but I don't have a lot of time or ability to go making a ton of my own. I admire people who do, but I, frankly, have an easier time getting together the money to pick up stuff to easily put together and arrange than I do to build.

So, I'm hoping to find a list of things I can look at budgeting for that other people use for scatter terrain. Not sure how much is out there for Malifaux, but I do know there's some scifi stuff... anyway, if people can point me to some, I'd love to make a list for other people to have as a reference more than just for me.

Personally I like simple accent pieces like topiary gardens, stacked crates/ barrels, cart stands, fountains, low brick walls with decorative wrought iron fencing, hedgerows, individually based trees, ruble piles, chain link fencing, etc.

Most of this is easily purchased or created and based but provides tons of options. It is really great for accenting urban environments and especially terraclips sets.

Don't forget about your 0 ht terrain. Bogs, rivers, ponds, farm fields, etc. These are often overlooked. They are a great way to increase your terrain density without forcing channels or adversely effecting ranged crews. Using 0 ht terrain, my local greoup often gets to the 50% coverage without having any issues. Even small pieces can work as scatter terrain. We have a couple of small (50 mil square) bases of rocky field. Does not block line of sight, but can severely disrupt a charge lane.

Couple of ideas.

A lot of artificial grass manufacturers give away free samples if you show the slightest interest in having your lawn done. These male great patches of rough Ht1 ground.

Low laying plastic aquarium plants can be quickly based for taller areas.

Other than that as others have said fences and small clusters of crates are good. Also don't discount the odd lone tree on a 50mm base.

The Battlefield in a Box range also has some smallish rock outcrops which make great scatter.

A lot of artificial grass manufacturers give away free samples if you show the slightest interest in having your lawn done. These male great patches of rough Ht1 ground.

Probably one of the best ready made sources for this type of "severe" terrain is the fake planter toppers available at most floral craft stores (any store that sells supplies for artificial floral arrangements should have them).

Here is a link to an online supplier as well as what they look like.

Add some clump foliage to break up the monotony and add some more realism.

Another couple options if creating a more rural environment is to get a bristle door mat (from the DIY store) or some "faux" fur from a fabric store. These simulate wheat fields and tall grasses very well (matter of fact there is a Belgian guy that created a very realistic table for his historical miniatures using "faux" fur (muppets beware) over the base material).

Low laying plastic aquarium plants can be quickly based for taller areas.

Aquarium plants can definitely work but tend to be a pain in the but to paint.

Probably one of the best ready made sources for this type of "severe" terrain is the fake planter toppers available at most floral craft stores (any store that sells supplies for artificial floral arrangements should have them).

I'm looting this here idea. Now I've got a reason to wander through a section o the local Hobby Lobby I've never had reason to enter before. :-P

Another couple options if creating a more rural environment is to get a bristle door mat (from the DIY store) or some "faux" fur from a fabric store. These simulate wheat fields and tall grasses very well (matter of fact there is a Belgian guy that created a very realistic table for his historical miniatures using "faux" fur (muppets beware) over the base material).

I've seen a couple variations on this and it can be extremely well done but it seemed that an airbrush or spray paint are needed if you want things the color you want. I guess I'll need to hit the fabric store now too.

Aquarium plants can definitely work but tend to be a pain in the but to paint.

I've seen many 40K terrain pieces with aquarium plants right out of the box, but for scifi you can get away with odd colors.

Been meaning to post this up for a while, but keep getting distracted for various reasons. Does anyone have any good advice on scatter terrain for Malifaux? I'm not so much looking for ideas, those I have aplenty, but I don't have a lot of time or ability to go making a ton of my own. I admire people who do, but I, frankly, have an easier time getting together the money to pick up stuff to easily put together and arrange than I do to build.

So, I'm hoping to find a list of things I can look at budgeting for that other people use for scatter terrain. Not sure how much is out there for Malifaux, but I do know there's some scifi stuff... anyway, if people can point me to some, I'd love to make a list for other people to have as a reference more than just for me.

I found rocks and small bits of clump foliage can make good "wilderness" scatter terrain. I use scrap bits of foam from making hills to make the rocks, glue them to some old 60mm and 30mm GW flying bases I had handy add sand and paint. Then put a few bits of clump foliage around the base of the rock. There's nothing keeping you from just grabbing some small stones out of your yard to save time and cash.

For trees and other things, a trip to the model train shop and a couple blisters of 50mm bases and you'll be fine.

I really like making my own stuff but it does take a lot of my hobby time. I end up with some very nice boards with lots of unpainted minis :-P

-DavicusPrime

• 1 month later...

I have done a few different scatter terrain pieces, especially H0 ones. Here is a pick of the bog I am nearly finished and here is a link for more details.

BogTerrain2_zpsf37defb9.jpg

I also did some blocking rocky out crops, here is the link to how:

rocks2_zpsdb663e00.jpg

I am currently working on a few different scatter pieces but I really want to get some useable severe terrain done. I don't know what yet though. I don't want the area it covers to be too large as it could dominate a game. I would like models to be able to stand on it so it has to be fairly flat. So far I have only come up with a bed of coals. Has anyone else got ideas for some scatter pieces like this?

if you just want to buy some stuff, games workshop makes some nice kits. I like this one for malifaux best

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440008a&prodId=prod1290008a

it shows it there all compacted into one graveyard, but you can easily use the pieces on their own as scatter terrain. 

• 2 weeks later...