Starting Resurrectionists and then others

Nemissary

I'm just getting back into things in the Malifaux World after a loooong time off from mini projects. I will be starting with Rezzers and expanding from there into 10 Thunders/Rezzer and Outcast/Rezzer and then maybe some Guild and some Neverborn. I'm not looking at tackling any Arcanists anytime soon, I like them but my main opponent will be playing them a lot.

First up is bases. I usually do tons of conversions on minis, but Wyrd minis are too awesome for much of that so I will instead customize bases a bit. I cast my own broken tile/sewage combo bases a long time ago and will be using variations of this for my Rezzers. Here are some that have been cast and then made unique with little additions.

101_6432_zps5f42ef4a.jpg

This is just the start of my exploration of Malifaux. I will get bases done then work on the minis themselves. I made a ton of bases so that I don't have to stop painting minis later and switch gears back to casting and painting them again.

Comments and Criticisms always welcome.

Thanks!

Edited by Nemissary

I know people click on the subject and want to see flashy, awesome minis, but I'm starting the project from the ground up. :) Here are how bases are coming: I'm going to have a lot of detail on the bases, but to prevent them from overpowering the minis I will try to keep the colors limited and/or neutral.

101_6434_zps4a3cb309.jpg

103_6439_zps4c10b708.jpg

and a buffed up Nicodem and Bride of Flesh Construct in the works.

101_6436_zps1d3ffc39.jpg

101_6437_zpsf268e389.jpg

edit: You can also see that I mainly use Reaper Master Series paints. I have the entire range (lotsa lotsa monies to get them all). But I also use Army Painter and Vallejo paints with a small amount of the new GW paints (they have a nice new range, but the paint pots suck)

Edited by Nemissary

Thanks daddy4count. I have tried to add a skull or hand or bosy to each base. I have also made many of the bases with zombie hands and arms pushing up from the sludge or breaking through the floortiles to reach up into the air. I think these little additions will make them fitting for the rezzers. McMourning id by far my favorite and I have the 1st ed. set but I am waiting on the new models. In the meantime I also have the 1st edition of many of the rezzer models and have been prepping them for paint.

I have all the bases 99% done. They are sealed etc. However, I plan to add glossy blood spatter and bloody handprints to them after I get the minis on them so they are not 100%, I made over 60 30mm, 15 40mm and 5 50mm to get started on the faction. I have no idea how many I will need, but I hope I won't have to go back and make a bunch more. Ahh I will also be adding the new technical paint from GW: nurgles rot on the sludge areas of some bases.

103_6473_zpsa1a90c12.jpg

103_6467_zps79653cd3.jpg

103_6470_zps2ece8333.jpg

I have some base colors on some of the McMourning crew (my favorite! I love Herbert West/Reanimatore and H.P. Lovecraft)

These are all 1st ed. minis and metal. I'm want the plastic McMourning this month. You will notice some chips on the minis. My dog knocked my table over and they hit the concrete :(

Sir Pugsley

103_6474_zps1e52c1a3.jpg

Nurse Amber

103_6478_zpsfda45c83.jpg

103_6477_zpsd977dcdb.jpg

Thanks Mbbelius. I'm glad you like the bases. Most of them are cast and then I add details that make each one unique. A few are built from scratch with small 1/8" tiled plasticard and little bits. A very few are base inserts that I bought and then added my tiles to them to make them blend in.

I don't sell any bases. I'm afraid the quality of casting is not sufficient for that. I don't have any equipment, I just have one part molds and gravity. They often have bubbles in them that I need to cover with details and/or fill with GS and some of them come out uneven and if I cannot sand them flat (which I don't like to do because resin dust is notoriously toxic) I toss em in the garbage.

I can tell you how I made the molds though. I got the bases and cut the bottoms out and put in a GS sludge/grime base that I had pressmolded out of GS into each one. I then placed various sizes and shapes of the tiled plasticard on top of that and filled the gap upnerneath with GS. I made about a half dozen 30mm and less 40 and 50mm prototypes. I then bought a 30 dollar mold kit from Hobby Lobby (with the daily 40% discount they are pretty cheap). I made the molds and then bought the 30 dollar 2 part resin on another day so that I could get another 40% off. :) It really is easy to do. I have found that heating the modls in the microwave for a minute or 2 before pouring resin in also makes much less bubbles and problems. Also, pouring carefully so that each base mold isn't quite 100% full keeps the resin from bulging out and causing the bases to have rounded bottoms that require extensive sanding. I cannot stress enough that you need to avoid sanding the resin and breathing the dust, this stuff is cancer causing poison.

Hope this helps. If you really like the bases I could send you some samples, but I don't feel right selling them.

Here is a Trainstation I'm making for Malifaux. I'm working on an entire town/outpost. I have plenty of busted up and converted buildings from Mordheim that I customized for the Quarantine ZOne in Malifaux and a lot of closed buildings that work as obstacles. Now I am making buildings that have a removable roof and can be entered during the game. I still need a good Town Name, I'm thinking of Tiger Ridge (a notroiously inbred area nearby in South Georgia or Swampwise) Swampwise Station No.1 may be good, but I'm not sure.

103_6486_zpsa5fe9c0c.jpg

103_6487_zpsa7129ec7.jpg

103_6489_zps35829376.jpg

I made the frieght area good for 50mm bases. one waiting room door good for 40mm and the rest are all 30mm+ wide.

Thanks all! :)

Got my basecoats and a wash on some more minis. They are not done at all, but enough to play for now.

103_6511_zpsb7e671e8.jpg

Did my Nurgle Rot and my blood effects splatter to finish off the bases. I need to touch up the black edging now and they are complete:

103_6493_zps1e4388ba.jpg

103_6492_zps2f446c9b.jpg

here is a WIP solid house/building I am making and some of the bare bones templates for more (my 3 year old helped put them together:

103_6496_zps4b81b53b.jpg

103_6500_zps3a7332f3.jpg

103_6502_zps16d430e2.jpg

And... a wizard tower I made from scraps , a plastic skull mug and a pringles can etc.

103_6494_zpsd24c6be2.jpg

103_6495_zpsd587e9c1.jpg

So, you can see I'm doing a huge project and not just painting one lil crew of minis for Malifaux :)

great splatter effects. did you do the flick the toothbrush method? people tell me the only way to make it look good is to let it naturally splatter and risk a total mess. that is something hard for a perfectionist like myself to give up control on. i'm gonna force myself to do it for mcmourning and sebastian though.

Thanks viruk. Now to concentrate on models and a lil on buildings :)

nagash13: yes I did the toothbrush flick. It really works. This was my first try at it, but it looks so much more 'real' than when you try to paint it on. Some of the flicks looked like they made a huge mess, but when it all dried it was just fine.

Ok, I'm working on priming my rezzer models that I have prepped fro paint and I have also made some progress on my Malifaux Outpost/Town. I still have not decided on a town name, so if anyone has any cool names in mind please let me know. The Train Station is almost done. Just need to add details like the name over the ticket desk and some posters on the walls etc.

The town names that have been thrown around here are these: (but open to any ideas)

Swampwise

Creeperville

Creeperton

Tiger Ridge

Pale Creeper Station

Swampboro

I have also started work on a small Guild Jailhouse/Guardhouse. Not sure on what type of roof to give it. I'm making a 3"x3" cell that can be put in the jail or removed and placed on the board alone. I think there is a story encounter that needs a 3"x3" cell anyway.

pics:

103_6513_zps873e2fb4.jpg

103_6521_zps1ebdacd3.jpg

103_6522_zps7d4c0f60.jpg

jail

103_6519_zps449b812c.jpg

103_6520_zps07dbb50e.jpg

any comments or feedback is very welcome.

I have another question too. I have decided to have a unifying color for my rezzers and I'm not sure what color to use. I want each model to have at least a small area of it or even an entire suit of clothing of the color depending on the models.

The colors I was debating over were:

Red with black (standard evil guy colors :) ).

Dark purple with a lean towards the blue side of purple.

A lighter purple with a lean towards the red in purple.

Greens (standard zombie style/Nurgle style)

And I was thinking the eyes and any necrotic areas would be an eerie green to contrat the reds or purple choices or if green is the choice, then purple would color the eyes of zombies etc.

What do you guys think?

Personally I like the redish purple with green eyes idea... but that's just me

:)

For town names... I came up with two but I'm not sure if I want to build a town or keep things fully modular... still debating. I will likely do some signage either way. I'm going with Twist (or Twisted - named for the shape of the trees) or possibly Unsettlin' (folks named the town for how it felt upon arrival... unsettlin')

;)

Nice town names there. The idea that I had with a friend of mine was too names each of the buildings after some of our gaming group and jokes/nicknames of them made up over many years. Like Soapy Bottoms Saloon (proprietor: Offroad Johnny) etc etc. Just having a time making the town name fit the same theme and fit Malifaux also.

Reddish purple with green eyes/necrotic fluid is that same choise my oldest daughter decided on, so that makes 2 votes for it so far. It is funny that I have probably 20 varying shades of purple that are certainly leaning towards the blue end of the spectrum, but I only have 3 or 4 that lean to the red. :) The green would be very bright in the eyes and go all the way towards yellowish, like a glow but with no OSL (I'm not a fan of OSL and not good at it either) :P

Thanks for the response Daddy4count. It is really good to get opinions/ideas and that is the only reason I trouble myself posting online. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Ahh I found the old Pandora minis. I need to get the new Pandora and paint her, but here are the minions.

I used the green/purple color scheme on these and a variation of the tiled floors with tentacles coming out which I thought was more fitting to Neverborn than the sludge and zombie hands of the Rezzers.

103_6549_zps3747a6c2.jpg

103_6544_zpse695a184.jpg

103_6535_zpsdebbbb7a.jpg

103_6542_zps3ba34a43.jpg

103_6538_zps5cb8487c.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Thanks Wings. I never even thought about the handles looking like safety scissors. I had just painted them like that to tie it into the colors on the other models. :) Now that you mention it though... I'll take credit for thinking of such a neat idea !!! I painted these a long time ago (2010) and I hope that I have not lost my touch as I'm painting my Rezzers now and promised my wife that I would paint up the new 2E version of Pandora and crew for her. I'm not sure If I will go with the same basic color scheme or not for the new Pandora. Any ideas of an alternate scheme or should I use the same???

I'll allow you credit for that. I now need to fight off the temptation to do the same thing for my Candy.

It's a tried and tested scheme so I'd be tempted to go with it again. Otherwise you could always paint them in your wife's favourite colours if they're for her?

I'll allow you credit for that. I now need to fight off the temptation to do the same thing for my Candy.

It's a tried and tested scheme so I'd be tempted to go with it again. Otherwise you could always paint them in your wife's favourite colours if they're for her?