Orphelia 50SS advice sought on upgrades and composition

BaronGreenback

Hi all

I am going to Isle of Faux on the 11th, and only have Orphelia, the LaCroix crew, Lenny and ton of Bayou gremlins. I do have the opportunity to buy some more models before the event however...

At the moment I was thinking of multiple gun-line lists, a core Kin list, a medium kin list, and a swarm list (all 50SS)

Option1 (Kin Kill Team)

Orphelia (Dirty Cheater)

3x Young uns

Rami

Raph (Dirty Cheater)

Pere

Francois

Lenny

2 x Bayou

3 SS Cache

Option2 (Kin minus Pere plus more bayou)

Orphelia(Dirty Cheater)

3x Young uns

Rami

Raph (Dirty Cheater)

Francois

Lenny

4 x Bayou

4 SS Cache

Option 3 (fun times)

Orphelia

3 x Young uns

15 x Bayou

1 SS Cache

I have played a dozen games on ME1 but i haven't played ME2. Which of the upgrades should I be adding to my lists? I take it i can use the young LaCroix to equip Orphelia but what about Dirty Cheater etc? Are there any 'essentials?'

Thanks in advance for any advice or responses.

Essentials? Never.

It depends on strats, schemes, and opposition.

If Ophelia is your crew leader then there are some considerations.

She's ht 1, living, which means it is possible to devour her.

If you're up against Ressers/Arcanists, then consider stilts as it's a solid defensive option for any ht 1 model.

Dirty Cheater on Raph? He is now immortal.

Dirty Cheater on Ophelia, she becomes a demon...an unholy demon of doom.

Franc also likes Dirty Cheater I find.

The young are some of my favorite models.

Put or Reload Big Threatnin' Gun on Ophelia.

Now the young are Sh 4 4/5/6 damage.

To sum up...

Don't bother purchasing Ophelia's guns, she can get them from her young uns.

However, the (0) actions her upgrades give are insanely useful.

Dirty Cheater is hands down one of the most useful abilities for Henchmen and Enforcers.

Stilts is always a consideration if you play defensively as is the upgrade that grants Stubborn.

I recently played a 35 stone game with a list similar to your first one (subtract one Youngin, Pere, Lenny and the Bayou Gremlins and add a slop hauler). Ophelia doesn't need to bring in any of her weapon upgrades as she and the youngins can grab those on the fly.

If you're going enforcer heavy with the core LaCroix models, having a way to heal them is a good idea. Rami can heal himself, but the rest either need someone with the Quality Mash Liquor or a slop hauler (which I prefer as they can give upto 4 models a healing flip at once).

The swarm list probably can get away without needing a healer.

I'm still working out what upgrades are the best. I like Gremlin See because my opponent likes running Sonnia who hands out burning a lot. Stilts and teamwork feel pretty situational, but Dirty Cheater and Quality Mash Liquor seem more universally useful.

-DavicusPrime

If I remember correctly, Isle of Faux is a 100ss pool correct? I'll write something up for a suggestion.

The great thing about Ophelia is that she is very flexible in her choice of models. She has synergy with Kin, but cheap Gremlins are as useful as ever. Rather than having several lists in mind, you'd be better off having a selection of models and picking from that.

Essentials? Never.

It depends on strats, schemes, and opposition.

If Ophelia is your crew leader then there are some considerations.

She's ht 1, living, which means it is possible to devour her.

If you're up against Ressers/Arcanists, then consider stilts as it's a solid defensive option for any ht 1 model.

Dirty Cheater on Raph? He is now immortal.

Dirty Cheater on Ophelia, she becomes a demon...an unholy demon of doom.

Franc also likes Dirty Cheater I find.

The young are some of my favorite models.

Put or Reload Big Threatnin' Gun on Ophelia.

Now the young are Sh 4 4/5/6 damage.

To sum up...

Don't bother purchasing Ophelia's guns, she can get them from her young uns.

However, the (0) actions her upgrades give are insanely useful.

Dirty Cheater is hands down one of the most useful abilities for Henchmen and Enforcers.

Stilts is always a consideration if you play defensively as is the upgrade that grants Stubborn.

some good advice here, thanks for this Scirian, i will keep the stilts in mind if i get a heads up on the opposition in the tournament

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I recently played a 35 stone game with a list similar to your first one (subtract one Youngin, Pere, Lenny and the Bayou Gremlins and add a slop hauler). Ophelia doesn't need to bring in any of her weapon upgrades as she and the youngins can grab those on the fly.

If you're going enforcer heavy with the core LaCroix models, having a way to heal them is a good idea. Rami can heal himself, but the rest either need someone with the Quality Mash Liquor or a slop hauler (which I prefer as they can give upto 4 models a healing flip at once).

The swarm list probably can get away without needing a healer.

I'm still working out what upgrades are the best. I like Gremlin See because my opponent likes running Sonnia who hands out burning a lot. Stilts and teamwork feel pretty situational, but Dirty Cheater and Quality Mash Liquor seem more universally useful.

-DavicusPrime

Thanks Davicus, i don't have any slop haulers at the moment, as i tend to focus on firepower and disposable assets, but i will consider the Quality Mash Liquor to beef up my healing abilities

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

If I remember correctly, Isle of Faux is a 100ss pool correct? I'll write something up for a suggestion.

The great thing about Ophelia is that she is very flexible in her choice of models. She has synergy with Kin, but cheap Gremlins are as useful as ever. Rather than having several lists in mind, you'd be better off having a selection of models and picking from that.

Hi Dumb, yes its 100SS pool, so my selection of models is pretty much what you see in the three lists i posted, plus all the optional upgrades. So i have the situational abilities (team work, gremlin see, stilts etc) as well as the cores upgrades i might want to use.

I can run any combination of 50SS crews from the 100SS pool. From an elite crew to a bayou swarm.

Thought so. I came up with a similar 100ss for Ophelia. I don't think you need that many Bayou Gremlins. I find there comes a point where you can overindulge in taking loads and struggle to have anything to deal with threats.

If nothing else, try dropping a Gremlin to squeeze in upgrades like Liquid Bravery and Stilts just in case those match ups turn up.

It is quite hard to go wrong with Ophelia though. Few Kin and a bunch of cheap minions. Can't go wrong.

Edited by Dumb Luck

It's only 3/4/6 now (and lost the :rams) since the Nov Errata...which is another point, make sure you print off your new cards from here:

http://www.malifaux.com/M2eDownloads.php

Hi Malal, thanks yes I've got these. I never used the pre-cuddled versions so I won't have any comparison

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Thought so. I came up with a similar 100ss for Ophelia. I don't think you need that many Bayou Gremlins. I find there comes a point where you can overindulge in taking loads and struggle to have anything to deal with threats.

If nothing else, try dropping a Gremlin to squeeze in upgrades like Liquid Bravery and Stilts just in case those match ups turn up.

It is quite hard to go wrong with Ophelia though. Few Kin and a bunch of cheap minions. Can't go wrong.

Yes Dumb, Orphelia is rather forgiving, which i like, as its easier to focus on the actual strategy, scenario, opponent and tactics than trying to remember a hundred different rules for your own guys.

I think i like to run a bayou horde now and again just to mix it up, and also to see my opponents face when i put down 19 models...

normally though i just run the kin, (minus pere and with handful of bayou). Lenny is new for me, but seems to be pretty powerful

Which opponents / match ups should i be taking liquid bravery against? my knowledge is pretty patchy on opponents, I've only played several of the crews once.

Edited by BaronGreenback

Yay my fellow gremlin going to Isle Of Faux, see you there buddy :)

My pool consisted of Kin (bar pere) bg, lenny, fingers, slop haulers, warpig

Reasoning:

Kin have great synergy with both Ophelia and Somer (even though I'm not taking him)

But I've found pere is TOO unreliable in a tournament setting (the way I use him which is blow himself up asap)

Plenty of BG will always be helpful (except reckoning :( don't like that strat) They'll allow you to choose scheme marker schemes and get them done.

Fingers is a gold mine in squatters rights

Lenny-works very well as a support piece for the kin-reckoning choice

Slop Haulers-Always helpful

Warpig-potential for reckoning

O and Young of course :) very helpful little models

Yay my fellow gremlin going to Isle Of Faux, see you there buddy :)

My pool consisted of Kin (bar pere) bg, lenny, fingers, slop haulers, warpig

Reasoning:

Kin have great synergy with both Ophelia and Somer (even though I'm not taking him)

But I've found pere is TOO unreliable in a tournament setting (the way I use him which is blow himself up asap)

Plenty of BG will always be helpful (except reckoning :( don't like that strat) They'll allow you to choose scheme marker schemes and get them done.

Fingers is a gold mine in squatters rights

Lenny-works very well as a support piece for the kin-reckoning choice

Slop Haulers-Always helpful

Warpig-potential for reckoning

O and Young of course :) very helpful little models

Hi Lemon, see you there! last gremlin to the bar buys the ale!

i hadn't thought about fingers...the 10SS put me off, but he does look awesome. I will definitely buy the whisky crew when they come out, but didn't fancy converting the whole crew in the limited time i have. Didn't think about just taking fingers though...

just looking forward to bleeding green and taking down some humees

This crew would not be a legal crew. In M2E you cannot spend the Master's cache to hire models. So the most you could take would be 3 young uns for 6 SS, and 14 Bayou Gremlins for 42 SS leaving 2SS for upgrades or to add to the cache.

Thanks Fireuser good spot, I doubt I will use a max bayou list in the tournament, but it's good to know the legal maximum is 18 models for 50ss based on 14 bayou and 3 young.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I'd drop the young for a slop hauler minimum. Makes it easier to hit things when they have the same Df as your attack.

Thanks rgar, as above in my response to fire user I doubt I'll actually run this crew from my pool, the most I think I've ever used is about 8 bayou, I normally take at least two kin as muscle. Regarding slop haulers, I see them in a lot of posts and lists but I've not used them yet myself, as I didn't have the models originally and then I just got used to playing without them. I might have to try them out, but for now I might just take some dirty cheaters and maybe the liquor mash for my main guys, the bayou will be have run too far away from the pack to gain support from a slop hauler, and are ussually destined for either a suicide ram blast or a watch this... Basically along with reckless I doubt they will survive long enough to benefit from healing! As for the resistance in defence, I like the idea, I need to get a slop hauler and start trying it out.

Edited by BaronGreenback

So based on the feedback so far I have now added a slop hauler and fingers to my 100ss pool.

Having reviewed the strategies it looks like they can be grouped into three broad team selections

three of the five are basically evidence/token/board control So for these I'm thinking less young lacroix as they are insignificant peons and also more bayou for swarming quarters and placing markers, add fingers as a special as he can really help with the markers.

Reckoning requires firepower above all so i guess a reduction in bayous as they are easy kills for the opponent, and take full young lacroix and kin for max killing power.

Finally turf war I'm thinking small hard to kill crew, Raphael, Francois, slop hauler, Lenny, in a tight unit.

Any suggestions welcomed? Also would be good to know what schemes people recommend to go with the core strategies? Or are these all randomly determined or preset for isle of faux?

Edited by BaronGreenback

Well again, for Reckoning you could drop the Young for a slop hauler and use it to heal the gunline. If you want max killing power then Lenny is a must for his :rams aura. It gives Ophelia 4/6/8 damage. When paired with Dirty Cheater she can heal the wound from Thinkin Luck just by cheating a flip which is awesome. Slop Hauler use to keep your elite force up and kicking (similar to your list for Turf War). You may want Rami since he can focus and hit the board. I find pairing him with a Student of Conflict allows him to be a huge threat a range since you can make 4 18" shots a turn or 2 :+fate attack and damage flips at 36".

Yeah Lenny has really good synergy with the orphelia gun line, as does slop hauler. Not sure about student as I'm addicted to my young lacroix but I will have to try it out with rami as it sounds deadly.

I like the idea of Lenny chucking bayou gremlins 10" and then they drunk and reckless run 5" and then explode for 3 damage from watch this. Especially if you have half a dozen or more bayou and can activate several in a turn after the enemy has used all their activations! Any reason why this wouldn't work? Could be devastating if the enemy is bunched, say for turf war if they get there first and cluster in the middle. Four chucked bayous are 12 damage. More if they are in 10 inches and have a chance to do 2 damage on impact before they blow up?!

It's only 3/4/6 now (and lost the :rams) since the Nov Errata...which is another point, make sure you print off your new cards from here:

http://www.malifaux.com/M2eDownloads.php

....and you have to discard the gun after you shoot it, so there is very little incentive to use it with your Young as you will have to keep wasting actions reloading it.

Yeah Lenny has really good synergy with the orphelia gun line, as does slop hauler. Not sure about student as I'm addicted to my young lacroix but I will have to try it out with rami as it sounds deadly.

I like the idea of Lenny chucking bayou gremlins 10" and then they drunk and reckless run 5" and then explode for 3 damage from watch this. Especially if you have half a dozen or more bayou and can activate several in a turn after the enemy has used all their activations! Any reason why this wouldn't work? Could be devastating if the enemy is bunched, say for turf war if they get there first and cluster in the middle. Four chucked bayous are 12 damage. More if they are in 10 inches and have a chance to do 2 damage on impact before they blow up?!

Holy Hell! I never actually thought about something like that. It would be worse with Somer since he can split 3 Grems and add to the out activation shenanigans.

Something like this I'm thinking

Gremlins Crew - 50 - Scrap

Somer Teeth Jones -- 4 Pool

+Family Tree [2]

+Quality Mash Liquor [2]

+Show Off [1]

• Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]