A Spoonful of something....

mattspooner

Thinking of running an event in 2014 with a difference to the norm.

1 day event. 3 rounds. Unique masters (must use a different master for each round). Multiple faction (must be at least 2 factions used).

Entrants will be grouped into pools based upon rankings (although the event will probably be non-ranked). Placings will be based on the ususal TP/VP but it should mean that anyone could have a chance of podiuming as you will be playing similarly skilled opponents.

Should be good for all, noobs will have a chance of winning, the good players don't suffer the randomness of the first round result in the final place.

Would want to run a raffle as well as tin cups for top 3.

Thoughts?

Been mulling this over last night and for me personally I love the idea but wanted to go though what I though a couple of points.

The major downside is that you basically exclude people with only 1 faction or possbily even only 1 crew. For a lot of us it's not a problem but there are people out there who only focus on a single faction. However that being said I do love the idea of unique masters. I would even suggest the idea of not delaring the strategies, delcalring the first during registration and then the rest at the end of the previous game to give people some time to think but make it harder to pick which master for which mission. That's me personally I can see there is a good argument for forewaring people and giving them time to plan.

The real concern is over the pools. The problem for me is that the people at the bottom of the top pool and top of the bottom pool don't get a realistic tournament. Essentially the person at the bottom of the top pool is always (on paper) going to play people better than themselves, thus they would drop down the table and play a less able opponent and get a win or two. Now they are stuck being beaten by their betters. The "best" of the bottom pool has a greater chance of meeting someone they are considerably better than (as they only have half the filed) and stomping on people all day. Thus you could ague that the person with the best chace of winning is the best of the lower pool.

Sorry to be a bit negative, as I said I really like the idea of making people change masters and to a lesser extent the factions. It's the pool thing that I'm not sure. I do accept that there is a massive difference between "reality" and "on paper"

Sounds indeed very interesting.

I agree, this kind of tournaments kinda excludes new players who only have one or two masters of one faction, but that can be helped by swapping/borrowing Masters and crews from better equipped friends.

I'm not sure if I missed it, but where would this take place?