First Time Painting Miniatures

N1ck

I started Malifaux roughly a month and I have finished painting my first crew. Here it is:

post-15016-13911930871516_thumb.jpg

Marcus, Myranda, Cerebus, Moleman, Razorspine, and Hoarcat Pride

post-15016-1391193092976_thumb.jpgMarcus

post-15016-13911930930625_thumb.jpgMyranda

post-15016-13911930931473_thumb.jpgCerebus

post-15016-13911930932231_thumb.jpgMoleman

post-15016-13911930932994_thumb.jpgRazorspine

post-15016-13911930933723_thumb.jpgHoarcat Pride

I received a lot of help, tips, and mentoring from Bruglyother.

If you want please leave comments, thoughts, opinions, critiques, advice, etc. It will all be greatly appreciated. *happy*

Pretty damn good for a newbie. I am in love with your kitties. :3

I may have to pick some up cause they're super cute. lol

Very well done! Remember practice makes perfect! If you have any questions or need/want tips, browse this forum and feel free to ask stuff. Even if it sounds 'silly'. Our community is rather helpful and forthcoming. :)

Hey Nick...Listen to Bleachman. And if you are insane, read his painting thread.

And I will say that for all of the help I gave you, most of this is all you. I just pointed you in the right directions.

Indeed. Often people can achieve and do a whole lot. It is usually just the 'How?' that is missing. Once you give them a few shoves they can get walking pretty fast. A friend of mine, also a complete beginner, is already making his own bases pretty well. Its damn impressive. I couldn't do that kind of stuff when I first started. Kind of makes me jelly. :P

Indeed. Often people can achieve and do a whole lot. It is usually just the 'How?' that is missing. Once you give them a few shoves they can get walking pretty fast. A friend of mine, also a complete beginner, is already making his own bases pretty well. Its damn impressive. I couldn't do that kind of stuff when I first started. Kind of makes me jelly. :P

I know the feeling. I look back at the resources I had and the skills I employed when I first started and I cringe. Nick here is already years ahead of me at that point. I think the most help I gave him was on basing, and even then, he surpassed the help I gave him by quite a bit.

I just helped him by showing him how to use cork to make decent rock features. He got the icicles from someone else, and the clump foliage I am not sure where he got the idea from. Like I said, he took the little bit of help I gave him and ran with it.

Of course, now I have to get my own thread up since they took the blogs down and it doesn't look like they are coming back.

By all means, please impart your wisdom. Those bases are AWESOME.

I am solidly in love with them.

Like Bruglyother said he showed me how to use cork to make a rocky terrain like appearance. I would then paint the cork a dark gray, or something close to it. After that I dry brushed it all with either a lighter gray or just white in general.

The clump foliage I really just thought of using that on my own. I didn't like how the static grass didn't really stand out in my opinion, and I wanted something that would do the trick, so I went with the foliage to give a bushy appearance especially with the Sabertooth and Razorspine more so with the Razorspine because I wanted it to appear as if he was coming out of the bushes and preparing for a strike on his prey.

With the Hoarcat Pride I did the same as before; I used cork for the rocky mountain terrain. For snow I believe I mixed baking soda/powder and white glue. For the icicles I got the idea from miniGIRL's Channel on Youtube "HobbyHotTips." What I did was take clear plastic forks, cut off the prongs and glue them onto the base. I then drybrushed then in a very light blue. After that I took Acrylic clear liquid and Acrylic non yellowing powder. When you use a brush (I recommend a very crappy brush that you are willing to part ways with) you dab it in the liquid, then the powder and begin brushing the fork prongs or where desired. After several layers it begins to look like icicles.

I usually build the greys up in layers. I start with a really dark grey, then a medium grey, then a very light drybrush of light grey.

It also helps if you break up the edges of the cork a bit to remove the smooth parts. Of course, sometimes the smooth parts are useful for particular effects as well. You also need to remember to seal the cork. I use a few coats of watered down PVA glue.

So I am browsing the painting forums and click on the link for this one. I start looking at the pictures and realize these models all look very familiar, especially the hoarcat pride one. The I look at the person posting and was like duh... I freakin game with him. Dumb moment. I will say this again on here though for your first models these look outstanding. I'm still blown away by the ice effect.

AAAH! LOOK AT THOSE KITTENS!!! Oh I hope my kittens look even half as nice when they're done!

These all look awesome! Looks like you started with the same figure set as I did *grin*

And I'm in love with your bases. I want bases like that!

Looks like Lussuria is going to rack up some frequent flyer miles stealing bases from Germany and New York...

:1_Happy_Puppet1:

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Of course, now I have to get my own thread up since they took the blogs down and it doesn't look like they are coming back.

I seem to remember EricJ or Nathan saying that they were bringing blogs back (now that they've nipped the spammer problem in the bud), but you'll still probably have to start from scratch, as I'm not sure if they kept the only blogs on file somewhere. I know other folk have been wanting them back for awhile.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

I like them a lot, especially for a first time painter. The Cerberus is my favourite though, I'm just a sucker for that lovely orange paint.

So's Bleachman, but orange is such a given on a tiger, that it might not count for him.

Here are some more models that I have been working on/nearly completed.

post-15016-1391193097463_thumb.jpg

Cojo proxy - I really, really wanted to play with Cojo in the game however since their isn't a model for him for sale yet I went with this model which I believe is a Reaper Mini, not sure. I picked him up at the discount table at the gaming store I go to.

post-15016-13911930975368_thumb.jpg

Cojo Backside/Booty

post-15016-13911930976142_thumb.jpg

Waldgiest #1 This is my first attempt using green stuff on my basing. I used a paper clip to support the dead tree and limb. As for the Waldgiest I believe he is too dark of a green for now so I will eventually dry brush a lighter green on it. As for the base itself Iam happy with the outcome however I am not quite so satisfied. I wanted to make it more realistic however in my opinion it does not. I will have to work on that.

post-15016-13911930976859_thumb.jpg

Waldgiest #2 I painted the entire model Green because I figure when I add the brown for his roots and legs it would make life a lot easier. He too also came out too dark of a green so he will have to be toned down a bit. As for his base I wanted to do something different so I took all the metal strips from the minis and assembled them into a broken bridge per say. I do not what else if anything I will do with the base but I figured this was a good start.

Edited by N1ck

Looks like Lussuria is going to rack up some frequent flyer miles stealing bases from Germany and New York...

What ever do you mean? I plan this to be a world tour!! Don't assume your things are safe. Just sayin' .

Have you ever heard the expression 'All your base are belong to us' ? It's actually a common mistake that that came from a game - it was actually me.

And that green stuff base looks AWESOME N1ck!! You really have a knack for them!! These are all looking really really cool *grin*

Thanks! I plan on working on green stuff more often and get a better idea of how to use it. I wanna finish up the second Waldegiest, and an additional Cerberus by the end of the month. After that I am going to be in a painting/escalation league in which I will have to primarily focus on Ophelia and the LaCroix. I already have a few ideas in mind and of course I will share them with everybody during the process.

What ever do you mean? I plan this to be a world tour!! Don't assume your things are safe. Just sayin' .

Have you ever heard the expression 'All your base are belong to us' ? It's actually a common mistake that that came from a game - it was actually me.

And that green stuff base looks AWESOME N1ck!! You really have a knack for them!! These are all looking really really cool *grin*

I don't think I've got any bases worth stealing yet.

But if you go to New York, it's a short hop from there to get Mako's models, unless he's gone back across the pond. Then you can split the bounty with me.