M2E Rasputina

Skyfire

My only bad performer was the Wendigo. I made the mistake of over extending it with companion and it got into this spell that made me follow a model (I forgot which). I then moved to a forest and was impotent the rest of the game. Should I have used EOP?

Just because you had one bad performance with a model doesn't mean you should bench them. I think both totems have a place with Raspy. If I think I'll be facing a living crew, I'll take the Wendigo......against non-living the EoP.

I think the Wendigo could have performed better in your game. I really like him as a bodyguard for Raspy....especially if you have the Armor of December upgrade. Push out, Freeze Over that model......then use your last AP for something else........Companion Activate the Wendigo, charge the Paralyzed model and Devour it.

Do that ONCE.....and your opponent will think twice before charging Raspy with that expensive melee model (like a Mature Nephilim) again.

The EoP works better against slower or more shooty crews (or anything non-Living since Devour doesn't work on them anyway). If you feel that you can keep the enemy away from Raspy and focus on using her range, Shattered Heart with the EoP is nice.....Raspy wins many of those gun-fights.

Either way, they should both be hanging out with Raspy, they're just there for different reasons.

I've always struggled with the Wendigo - he's so fast (comparatively) its hard to be reasonable and keep him near Raspy as suggested by dgraz. But even then, I've found the Wendigo to be a great objective nabber or a distraction that focuses an opponent's activation on a 3ss model rather than advancing or focusing on an objective. So in that sense, he's been useful.

And let's just say...against Gremlins... OM NOM NOM.

@dgraz - Thanks! I really think that I should have done better with the Wendigo. I think I played it too aggressively by using it's companion with the Ice Gamin and try to keep pressure on the Tots.I think my opponent's plan was to keep all my Gamins engaged to prevent Rasputina from using the Ice Mirror ability, and I used the Wendigo as a body guard to one. Its just that the Wendigo got pull into the forest.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually had a hard time using any of Rasputina's spells because I didn't have the Ice Mirrors to arc them. I pretty much had a melee match with those tots and ran out of models to arc. I also forgot about Raspy's Sub Zero because after the 1st charge attack, the activation should have already ended right?

@Fenton Crack - Thanks for the tip, the new Markus box looks good. :)

Overall, it was more my fault but playing really made me love Rasputina even more. I really enjoyed playing her.

I also forgot about Raspy's Sub Zero because after the 1st charge attack, the activation should have already ended right?

As long as you have the Tome (by card or by SS) for the trigger yes. Easy to forget.

I think my opponent's plan was to keep all my Gamins engaged to prevent Rasputina from using the Ice Mirror ability, and I used the Wendigo as a body guard to one. Its just that the Wendigo got pull into the forest.

I actually had a hard time using any of Rasputina's spells because I didn't have the Ice Mirrors to arc them. I pretty much had a melee match with those tots and ran out of models to arc.

Raspy 101 time:

So, your opponent engaged all of your potential Ice Mirrors huh? Guess what? You don't care. If they're within range for Ice Mirror, they're in range of December's Curse. Cast right into that melee. Randomize the target......if you hit the enemy, great....if you hit your Gamin.....better. Cheat down the Defense to get Severe damage and light those guys up with Blasts.

With Armor +1, a full health Gamin can take that Severe and live...ready for a second casting........if you want, you can spend 1 AP to cast Dec Touch on him first, raising his Armor to 3......which allows him to take 3 severe's before death (helpful if you have a Mask or two for Overpower)......or if he has lost a couple of wounds, the Armor 3 allows you to get a second cast.........and when he dies, he blows up causing more damage.

If he was low on health and dies to the first cast........guess what, you still have two AP to blast that now un-engaged enemy model.

I actively try to engage anyone too close to Raspy with a Gamin if at all possible (preferably moving into base contact with them)....if they're really close, you can use Freeze Over to Paralyze them (again if you hit them fine, if you hit the Gamin, better......I will declare the Gamin as the target and announce that I am choosing to fail...then if you randomize into the opponent it's just like any normal attack, but if you hit the Gamin the spell goes off as long as you hit the TN without needing to flip the Defense).................oh, then the Wendigo can Devour them.

Raspy 101 time:

So, your opponent engaged all of your potential Ice Mirrors huh? Guess what? You don't care. If they're within range for Ice Mirror, they're in range of December's Curse. Cast right into that melee. Randomize the target......if you hit the enemy, great....if you hit your Gamin.....better. Cheat down the Defense to get Severe damage and light those guys up with Blasts.

With Armor +1, a full health Gamin can take that Severe and live...ready for a second casting........if you want, you can spend 1 AP to cast Dec Touch on him first, raising his Armor to 3......which allows him to take 3 severe's before death (helpful if you have a Mask or two for Overpower)......or if he has lost a couple of wounds, the Armor 3 allows you to get a second cast.........and when he dies, he blows up causing more damage.

If he was low on health and dies to the first cast........guess what, you still have two AP to blast that now un-engaged enemy model.

I actively try to engage anyone too close to Raspy with a Gamin if at all possible (preferably moving into base contact with them)....if they're really close, you can use Freeze Over to Paralyze them (again if you hit them fine, if you hit the Gamin, better......I will declare the Gamin as the target and announce that I am choosing to fail...then if you randomize into the opponent it's just like any normal attack, but if you hit the Gamin the spell goes off as long as you hit the TN without needing to flip the Defense).................oh, then the Wendigo can Devour them.

100% agree, this is incredibly fun to do. It's best to think of the Gamin as pawns to sacrifice for the greater good. If they've done their job for the game (schemes/strategy) then they're good to die. If not, then by helping you kill the enemy models as dgraz's excellent example shows, the Gamin are helping to deny your opponent the AP to complete their own schemes and strats.

I tend to take molemen or other fast minions to complete schemes and strats though, seeing Gamin as extra AP for Raspy. Take 3 = 6AP of Wk actions to get into LoS.

I've had a lot of luck running three Steam Arachnids with Raspy. They do all the scheme work and tie up shooters while the Frozen Hearts Club crash into the opponent and mess them up.

Do you find them enough better at schemes than ice gamin that the loss of FH is worth it?

Why not use molemen instead of the spiders?

Do you find them enough better at schemes than ice gamin that the loss of FH is worth it?

Why not use molemen instead of the spiders?

My vote is usually for Molemen as well, however, if you are working the deep field "four corners" strats schemes (power ritual, reconnoiter), instead of center line ones where the Molemen really shine bypopping around the markers, spiders can have the edge because of their ability to move 10" in a turn and their superior native Df 6. They can better penetrate with the longer walk and ignoring severe terrain, where Molemen take longer to get there since there is no marker ladder to follow.

I haven't yet played on a table where terrain was so bad that spiders were a better choice. I might test them out though, their base speed is a good point to bring up.

The severe terrain is not always make or break, as the severe terrain that is on the board is not likely to be a long swath (unless its a water feature). 

I guess it really depends how you and your opponent define the terrian, but since even "torn down walls" (or short walls we often define the same way) and tombstones are recommended by the book as severe, its likley that stuff will be scattered about the board.

So even if there is just a 3x3 section, its nice that the spiders do not have to reduce their walk by a couple inches going around or take the penalty for going through, they can always be moving in a straight line 10" directly towards their goal.

In reality, of course, they may be bobbing and weaving to get cover....

• 4 weeks later...

I had another game with Rasputina vs Lilith. I think this made it worse than before. Granted the game did not have that much in terms of terrain as we are still learning, but Raspy got her ass handed to her.

I always lost on my wp checks with Lilith pulling my gamin to a forest she created. They were also extremely fast with Barbaros while the Mature Nephilim can ignore my Ice Pillars.

I also have a little difficulty with running the wendigo since it does not have any ranged ability that my opponent was not scared to engage it. I still need a bit more practice but nevertheless, playing Rasputina is still a lot of fun. I put Imbued protection on the Golem but by the time the golem started moving, they were already avoiding him. Lilith pretty much just summoned forests (which lasts the whole game? because the pillars only lasted per turn) then she would just lure my gamins to that forest and gets damaged. I really have a hard time playing against lilith. I used an acolyte and it did hit but barbaros moved so fast, he almost caught up to it.

I also played against the Viktorias, I fared a lot better. I got a few good kills though they are melee bitches.

Does any of you have advice on Lilith?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, brand new player here so forgive any ignorance.

With all the talk here it seems like Rasputina is nearly uncounterable (although I'm sure most of this is optimism) unless going against a ridiculously fast enemy or the player using her makes a mistake in positioning. But is there anything Rasputina has trouble against?

Hey, brand new player here so forgive any ignorance.

With all the talk here it seems like Rasputina is nearly uncounterable (although I'm sure most of this is optimism) unless going against a ridiculously fast enemy or the player using her makes a mistake in positioning. But is there anything Rasputina has trouble against?

Are you looking for a crew counter-pick (Sonnia is probably a safe bet), or a type of model in general?  A list could probably be made easily enough.

If you are looking for a weakness in general, it is her mobility, although Snow Storm can help her out with that. 

Another weakness she has is how dependent her crew generally is on her. 

Yes, all masters are important to their crews, but some, like Lady Justice, you can often depend on dying at some point in the game, but only after she has "done her duty" and accomplished what you needed her for.

If you lose Raspy, you are much more likely to see her crew crumble than others (it can be like VC in WHFB after losing their lord).

I often look at Raspy not as a model herself, but as a crew buff.  Much of her AP is going to be using her minions as mirrors, essentially giving minions in 10" a 3 AP pool for Decmber's Curse to spread around.  Aside from killy schemes and strats, and maybe protect territory she herself is not going to be grabbing VP.

If you get in close on Raspy, she is generally in big trouble, as her low defense, low mobility, and lack of a Ml attack conspire against her.  It so happens that she has a defensive trigger and an upgrade to prolong her life, but the prognosis is not good.

However, getting in on her, of course, is easier said than done.

If you take out her mirrors, you severely limit her range, options and area of control, and will likely be you base priority when facing her.

• 2 weeks later...

Having picked up the new Raspy box I got a game with her tomorrow and really looking forward to trying her. I'm also thinking that Angelica could be a really useful inclusion. Cheap, can move your crew around and she can even hand out paralyse. She seems like quite a good fit, aside from not having Frozen Heart.

Having picked up the new Raspy box I got a game with her tomorrow and really looking forward to trying her. I'm also thinking that Angelica could be a really useful inclusion. Cheap, can move your crew around and she can even hand out paralyse. She seems like quite a good fit, aside from not having Frozen Heart.

Sharp eye. A model that can relocate December's favorite children is worth it's weight in this list. I always take December's pawn, your mileage may vary, but if you do take it, tell me how you like it.

Well, got to play my first game with her. Angelica pushed the ice golem up so it was able to charge into the opposing half on turn 2. It did a bit of damage to a witchling and then blew up. I had Kill switch on it and raspy killed the damaged witchling and it set off a xchain reaction that in total killed 2 Witchlings, the golem, gave 5 sounds to another newly summoned Witchling and gave Sonia and the Witchlings Handler 2 wounds. A worthwhile sacrifice as it gutted his centre line and I dominated after that.