M2E Marcus

dgraz

Honestly, it isn't even a challenge. That was last edition. This edition Marcus can run all beasts and be competitive. The two non-beasts listed here are neat, but not required. Depending on the strats and schemes, if you pick your beast crew correctly you should be able to compete with anyone else.

Awesome to hear. Then I am not too hellbent on choosing a full fledged faction any time soon. Thanks!

Just want to second dgraz - even with just the Wave 1 releases, Marcus can run an all Beast list a lot more effectively than he ever could in the past edition. The beasts are well rounded and good enough now that you aren't really hamstringing yourself by going that route.

Out of Wave 1 the only thing I think I would really splash out for would be ranged attacks. I don't think you necessarily need to, but being able to reach out at range sure is nice.

So far, none. Perhaps once wave 2 hits there may be some....like the Gunsmith or the Oxfordian Mages. But I really kinda refuse to commit anything to them until they are finalized.

Marcus is very spoiled for choice right now, and he as well as Myranda key off of, and buff beasts so well....I feel that taking non-beasts would dilute the synergy. I only reach for the Metal Gamin because it's cheap....and I'll probably only reach for the Acolyte if I think I might be facing lots of H2W or Armor, which is what all beasts struggle against.....or if I want to play the 'hand out Slow' game......at least the Acolyte is a fairly stand-alone model that can give something to the crew, and the Gamin's job is just to hang around and buff some big slow moving beast like Cojo (and maybe SRM later).

Anyone else, I can do their job with a beast.....Howard and Joss are great killers, but I can do that with a Cerberus.....spiders are great for objectives, but I can do that with Molemen. I can't really see anything else 'at the moment' that would truly benefit Marcus.

Interesting. I own an Acolyte for my Rasputina crew and some Molemen. I'm wondering whether Metal Gamin could even be missed. I'm trying to save money and don't want something tempting me into another Master.

Interesting. I own an Acolyte for my Rasputina crew and some Molemen. I'm wondering whether Metal Gamin could even be missed. I'm trying to save money and don't want something tempting me into another Master.

I want to make sure I am completely understanding you here. When you say non-Marcus beasts....I assume you mean anything that isn't a beast in the Arcanist faction. When I think 'Marcus crew', I think every beast in existence. The only ones I haven't really been taking advantage of are the Gremlin pigs......but I own every other beast available....from all factions...Waldgeists, Silurids, K-9 Remains, etc.

Marcus likes them all, and I've found uses for them all. Go back and read the first few comments I posted in this thread if you want to know why I think they are all good.

Just in case anyone else didn't see it, Cojo is getting an official upgrade to a 50mm base:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?50030-Cojo-Errata-12-19-14

Unfortunately, this came a day too late (I just finished painting him the night before,) but it should make it a lot easier to fit him on a base.

It's also kind of a buff, because I think it ups the overall area that Cojo can affect with his :melee and :pulse. Will make him a little harder to fit in places, but it's a nice trade up overall.

Just got my Marcus box set delivered, can't wait to put it on the table! My Christmas day will consist of painting somebody, haven't decided who yet. Any links/suggestions on painting fur are MORE than welcome - I've never done it before!

Tactica-wise, how many duplicates of beasts do people expect to buy/take to tournaments for Myranda's Shapechange Ability? It might get a tad expensive/unreasonable to get one of everything. What I'm basically asking is - what are the most common beasts you will transform her into? (including Wave 2 as it stands).

what are the most common beasts you will transform her into? (including Wave 2 as it stands).

She can only turn into Arcanist beasts, so at least that cuts it down a little.

Cerberus certainly.

Cojo sometimes, but he is rare 1, so you can only have one on the table at a time.

Same with the Blessed.......rare 1.

Rattler and Mauler are sometimes....but less common I think.

That certainly makes things easier than collecting Nicodem!

I don't know how much I'd say that. Your question was specifically about what Myranda might change into.

Personally, when playing Marcus, I want every beast it's possible to own in my stable (so to speak).......I have multiple Raptors, Silurids, Molemen, Guild Hounds, K9 Remains, Waldgeists, Hoarcats........I now have 2 Cerberus and RSR's.....I own every other beast that is available (only the Dawn Serpent isn't)...........so it turns out to be quite a bit in the end.

Marcus really likes to tailor his list for the game. Now, that said, you can run a decent crew with his starter box, maybe a blister of Molemen, or K9 Remains, or one Silurid, or one Waldgeist.

Personally, when playing Marcus, I want every beast it's possible to own in my stable (so to speak).......I have multiple Raptors, Silurids, Molemen, Guild Hounds, K9 Remains, Waldgeists, Hoarcats........I now have 2 Cerberus and RSR's.....I own every other beast that is available (only the Dawn Serpent isn't)...........so it turns out to be quite a bit in the end.

I am noticing a rather conspicuous lack of pigs, is there an issue with them or are you waiting until the Wave 2 Super Pigs are available?

I am noticing a rather conspicuous lack of pigs, is there an issue with them or are you waiting until the Wave 2 Super Pigs are available?

You're right. I always forget about them (left over M1.5 mentality)...and the minor discussion about them earlier in this thread has put them out of my mind......where having to take the Whisperer probably isn't as effective as just staying in faction.

Gremlins have never appealed to me, so I don't think of them...I'm not used to thinking of Pigs as 'not just Gremlin'....and honestly, I haven't paid much attention to the Wave 2 pigs. Perhaps there are some holes in my game due to this, but I haven't felt like I need to find something that I'm lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm now the proud owner of a shiny new plastic Marcus crew, sadly it's somewhat grey right now. I have a 40ss tournament coming up at the start of March (2 months away), and figured that it would be a good opportunity to make me do some painting.

The next hurdle on this path is that at the best of times I'm a slow painter, this is both because I have a lot of stuff going on in real life, and because... Er, I'm a slow painter.

The next hurdle is that I want to try and paint my Marcus crew well, as I use them a lot and my current Marcus crew is an embarrassment to Team Marcus. Unfortunately that essentially means I'll be painting even slower than usual!

With that in mind, I want to try to get 1 model painted every 1-2 weeks (told you I was a slow painter), but with only 8-9 weeks before the tournament, which 7-8 models do I try to paint?

I reckon a nice core crew for 40ss would be Marcus, Myranda (with the obligatory Cerberus), Razorspine Rattler, December Acolyte, and 2 molemen. Then if I can get Cojo and the Jackalope done in time, that'd give me a bit of flexibility.

So what does Team Marcus think? (And yes, painting updates will be going up at Play It Like Beatdown)

Tough to say without being inside your head.....at least I've had a peek with the blog, so it's probably a good plan for you.

I personally have only been taking one Mole..and a K-9 Remains......but that's play-style difference.............I also swap out the RSR for a Silurid pretty often (if Deliver a Message or Power Ritual come up).

Good luck.

I don't think I'd ever expect to win my first few games with a new master. Lilith is pretty nasty for anyone. Interestingly, Lilith and Marcus can have fairly similar crews (very fast, very hitty, not too survivable).

Also, while my blog has a load of my thoughts on it, they're not necessarily the right thoughts. I know dgraz uses Marcus in very different ways to how I use him. You have to find what works for you.

Marcus actually works very well on his own, so for his crew you can take pretty much any of the Arcanist stuff and he won't disappoint.

Personally I like to stick with mainly beasts, because that's why I like Marcus (I'm an ecologist in real life), but having a crew of big constructs can lead to a much more survivable Marcus crew, and if you have Joss/Howard/Rail golem... or all 3, Alpha becomes monsterous.

Anyway, I'll hop off the soapbox. Keep is informed with the progress of #TeamMarcus

Dave/sssk

Hi folks,

There's a new blog post at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/ all about one of my favourite things about Marcus: Alpha.

It's a bit rambly, and I'm not totally convinced that it actually says anything of use/interest, but feel free to check it out.

Also, don't forget the BIG COMPETITION (the previous blog post). Oh yeah, I still need to stick a photo on that one... I'll do it tomorrow (he says, knowing darn well that he'll forget).

Enjoy

Dave/sssk