Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Webmonkey

so, here's a shot of the base before I begin. As for the figure, it's an armored piece. Trying to decide between a metallic blue or a metallic purple. Will probably go with a gold trim either way,.. but the armor color may well affect the skin tones and/or hair color that I choose to use. Thinking about doing something different then the usual white girl skin tone,.. hrmm,... maybe a dark-elf look??

Thoughts?

2014-07-27114538.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!! (you were right)

Turns out it was the gold touching white thing. There's still a bit of clean-up to do, to trim up and thin down the black-line on the chest and the wrists. (So ignore those for the moment other then for over-all effect). But if you pay attention to the skirt,... you'll see what I mean. That simple black line makes a HUGE difference to the visual impact, and the way that the colors interact with each other, and your eye.

2014-08-14182740.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, but for some reason I think of horrible old school jumpers when I see that colour and that gets me thinking of the texture they were. Maybe a slight vertical striation in a paler grey would work? Or along the bottom and sleeves where the elastic would be? Just something to break up the block colour as you've done with the red piping on the skirt and socks.

PS. I feel like such an idiot posting suggestions here, it feels a bit disrespectful of your talent! I really admire the work that goes into all these pieces.

I'm always happy to get suggestions,.. and thanks, but I'm a total hack (at least compared to some). But you are correct. It needs some more highlights and shadows. And the sleeves will have a stripe or two around the cuff. Just didn't want to do all that work if I was just gonna change the base color anyways. But I think I'm gonna keep the grey. I've already added the sleeve cuffs and the collar and bow-tie. I'll post some more pics and catch you guys up when I get home from work.

a while back you posted a video of how you use the pastel powders to do the skin on these models, i was wondering do you do that for all the surfaces or do you use more traditional wash, wet blend, glazes, feathering techniques that model painters would use on the cloth and shoes areas?

It's actually a combination of "all of the above". I usually use the pastels to do all of my shading. However, there are times when the pastels aren't "strong enough" for whatever my desired effect is,.. in which case, I'll then use the more traditional shade/high-light methods with paint.

And then there's a secondary method which imploys both methods. In this scenario, you would "pre-shade" with the paints, and then go back over that with the powders in order to "feather out" the edges