Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Webmonkey

Alright,.. I've decided on the next project. This is a 1/8 scale male model, which makes it about 10 inches tall when complete.

(Yes, this is the same height as the fairy at 1/7 scale, but that's because men are typically about a head-height taller then women. So then, when it gets scaled down, a 1/7 scale woman, and 1/8 scale man, both end up being about 10 inches tall)

This particular model is an anime character named "Kakashi Hatake" from a popular anime series called Naruto.

So then, a question springs to mind on how exactly to paint it. Should I try to "bring the character to life" by doing a more life-like paint job?,.. or should I try to keep the "cell-shaded" feel of an anime cartoon by black-lining the model where possible, to make it seem like it's been "drawn" by a pen?

I think I'm leaning toward black-lining.

As for the rest of the paint, this one should be easy. I don't have to choose colors, as the colors that he needs to be have already been decided for me. Normally, I don't paint anything "like it looks on the box". It's just a matter of principle for me. However,.. in this case,.. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't make him who he is. Plus,.. the anime fans out there would probably hunt me down and hang me from a tree if I presented them with a pink kakashi *grin*

Anyways,.. here's the first photo of the base. At this point, I've already sanded and filled and primered and such. Next up, a bit of paint of course!!!

post-8871-13911930069105_thumb.jpg

First update. Did the red inside the eye. This was a no-brainer. Next, I need to figure out what colors to do the rest of the base. I'm debating on,..

A) doing a grey on the circle just outside of the eye, and a rich blue on the rest of it,.. with maybe white letters for his name.

-or-

B) doing the blue in the circle just outside of the eye, black on the rest of it, with perhaps gold letters for the name. And then perhaps a lightning pattern going through the black, originating from the name as a center point.

Just not sure yet. Anyways, here's the first update,...

post-8871-1391193008515_thumb.jpg

Still got a bit of painting and touch-up to do, but it's starting to bring the shape of the base into perspective.

Before I move onto the next step, I have to make a decision,... to black-line,.. or not to black-line?? Below is a pic of both feet set beneath the legs (just for visual reference for judging the overall look). Most of you reading this thread won't need this little tutorial. But for those who may be new to the hobby, here's an example of what I'm talking about,...

Black-lining: The process by which one uses a black line to separate colors from touching one another. Or, (as is the case with the leg bandages on this model), used to deepen the creases or valleys of a model, and help pick out some of the details that might be otherwise hard to see.

But if you look, you'll see that the black lines weren't just added to the bandages, but also the blue of the shoe as well. As well as used to divide the flesh color from the blue.

I left one shoe leg undone, so that you guys can see the difference that a simple black line can make. This is a basic technique, and many people don't use it on their models as it tends to make the model feel a bit,.. "cartoonish". But given that this is an anime character, I think it might help keep the feel of a "cell shaded" cartoon/anime character.

Though, I could just as easily do without them, and try to bring this character "to real life". But personally,.. I'm thinking that the Black-lining is the way to go.

Thoughts?

post-8871-1391193009733_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webmonkey

Ok,.. here's a pic of where I started,..

post-8871-13911930151591_thumb.jpg

And here's a few pictures of it in mid-process. This is about 10 or 15 coats or so. (I didn't count really,.. got the idea to post this during working on it.) Thought it might be interesting for you guys to see that doesn't all happen in 1 or 2 passes. If you'll note, it's still thin in spots. There are several layers still to be applied before it'll look "solid".

post-8871-13911930152362_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930153035_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930153646_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930154265_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911930154941_thumb.jpg

Oh,.. and to answer your question about the eye,.. I have two choices. The model came with 2 heads. One with bandana up and the other with bandana down. Not sure which one I want to use. I also have a choice of arms. I'll post more on all of this as I start getting to that point.

I really gotta take some daylight photos,.. the colors are always off when I do the night-time shots. I'll try to get new ones tomorrow when I get home, while the sun is still up.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

And I may in fact need to darken the pants down just a hair. The shoes seem a bit darker as well,..

That might make a difference, artificial lighting does tend to screw with colors.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Actually, I would say that the shoes are perfect for the color. Might want to try to bring the pants down to that same tone?