Black or White Primer??

SomerRobert

Depends. A white primer will give a brighter tone to the model, but you will have to be extra detailed in getting into every crevasse on the model, as white will most likely be lighter colored than the rest of the model, and the human eye is always disposed to look at whatever it lighter.

Black models will often require more layers of paint to base coat, and the overall tone of the model will be darker. You don't have to be as meticulous about getting every crack however as the darker color will help them recede into the back ground.

You can get good results of light colors however using black, it just takes longer. Here's an example of a OSL effect I used on a black primed Izamu I painted.

post-5880-13911929395331_thumb.jpg

Well, i imagine every person will have a slightly different answer here since it's mostly just a preference thing, but i'll throw my 2 cents in.

Lately i have been rotating between black, grey, and white. and on my table they all have thier uses.

Black: (the good) it is the most forgiving for missed spots. It tends to make metallic paints look better, imo. it tends to give your model a darker look, which fits the theme of many of the models in Malifaux. (also is ideal for any grey-scale minis you might want to do)

(the bad) I have always had a bit of trouble with skin tones, yellows, and whites on a black primer. Many will take several coats, which in turn means you'll need to thin your paint (which you really should do anyway) to avoid a cake-y look. this is especially important on skin. Also, anything you intend to paint black will look unfinished to you, though others will probably not notice it.

Grey: (the good) it is a good balance between white and grey. You get the decent hiding place for missed spots, and it certainly covers as well as black. It also can keep the gloomy neutral colors while also being easier to paint flesh.

(the bad) white, yellow, and orange still can be tough to get right without several coats.

White: (the good) colors are bright and vibrant, allowing you the control of washes and shading to add that gloomy look back in without sacraficing the base coats. Yellows, whites, and oranges are much easier to paint on and keep smooth. For me this is also the easiest to blend colors on properly. if you wanted a smooth transition from say, red to blue, i find it easier to blend them well with a white undercoat.

(the bad) any spot you miss will shine like a spotlight. Things you intend to paint white will often look unfinished to you, (though others will not always feel this way) some darker colors will need smoothed out, browns, dark greens, and violet/purple can appear splotchy and require several coats to even out.

My personal verdict?

I use white or grey for my minis, and black for ALL of my bases. My reasoning? Bases can often be the culprit for missed spots, and if they show up in black, you might never see them from tabletop distances. If you painted them white, it will probably catch your eye and really bug you. By using white or grey for my minis, i can keep the skin tones even with as few coats as possible, plus i can go back with proper shading and some washes to add the darker tone back into the mini if i desire.

Just my opinions on the matter. and truth be told, i don't always stick to this pattern, but more often than not, this is how i tackle painting. I hope it helped!!

i don't have trouble with flesh tones either, i just like that white primer leads to less paint on the mini's face, which in turn helps keep the most detail possible.

until about 6 months ago, i also only used black primer, but have since switched things up in an effort to better my skills.

I started with white, then went to black (for painting SPEHSS MEHREENS), and am now firmly in the grey or white camp depending on the model. If the model's detailed enough and isn't mostly in armor, I go with white. I got frustrated trying to pick out details on something in all black.

I've found that white with a good wash over it is a great starting point. I recently tested Vallejo Light Grey Wash to pick out the details on a white primed model while making minimal actual changes color-wise. It did exactly what I needed it to do, and I'm recommending it to everyone who has similar issues.

I have not had success with black ink washes over white primer- never can get the consistency right. I'll probably look up Les Burseley's formula or perhaps try the Vallejo Black or Army Painter Dark Tone wash-in-a-bottle for that.

it all depends on the look you're looking for at the end of the day. If you want bright colours then go for a white primer. If you are painting a model that will be majority black or metallic then black primer. I you are looking for something in between they grey is your friend. I had used black primer the majority of the time in my painting career and it has served me well. However when I painted the convict gunslinger below his pants took me forever because painting orange over black is an absolute nightmare. If I could go back I would have base coated this guy grey or white instead.

post-11426-13911929395891_thumb.jpg

post-11426-13911929395722_thumb.jpg

Edited by theJudge

I used white forever, Ultimately I just decided I liked black better.

And of course... this is the most important part of what primer you go with. =]

Also i should mention that i do not buy any of the fancy model primers. i have tried them compaired to krylon and to be honest, the only difference i have notices is that my wallet hurts less when i buy from wal-mart as opposed to my lgs. So lately i have switched completely away from Citidel and P3 primers. But to each their own.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Also, i LOVE your convict gunslinger. the orange pants may have been a pain, but it looks well worth your effort!

Best primer I've used is Rustoleum's Black Camouflage paint. I used Krylon black for a long time, but I really prefer this brand now.

Rustoleum eh? i will have to try that out. it's about time to grab a new can anyway.

I use basic Krylon indoor/outdoor grey primer. Works great for me......and after over a hundred commission models.....I've never had any complaints. My colors are very bright and bold. A lot of that has to do with the layering painting technique I use.

I use basic Krylon indoor/outdoor grey primer. Works great for me......and after over a hundred commission models.....I've never had any complaints. My colors are very bright and bold. A lot of that has to do with the layering painting technique I use.

When I started painting, we used the krylon grey. now I'm privy to krylon white :D I love krylon overall though. It seems to have had the best and smoothest effect on my models!

Rebbeca, try the Rustoleum Camouflage line at some point, if there is a good color for you. Especially on the new plastics it is amazing. I was skeptical myself at first but it REALLY binds to the plastic, and you would have to really overspray to cause any lessening of detail. You should still be careful, but the first models I tried it on were the Dark Debts crew, and they came out amazingly well.