Perdita & SS management

Danube

I typically run Perdita with a 3-5 stone cache in 35ss games and almost always end the match with multiple stones leftover...and the feeling that I wasted opportunities to positively influence the outcome if I had managed them better.

I know it is largely a situational decision and my judgement will improve through experience, but I am wondering how some of the more experienced Perdita players tend to use their cache?

See, I rarely use them for defense because her Df is so high. I don't run her as much as Sonnia, but typically I'm burning stones on attack flips to kick out the maximum possible damage. Occasionally, if something manages to hit her, I'll use one for damage prevention. But having such a great Df leaves Perdita free to use the Stones for face-wrecking purposes. If it's really important to damage or Obey something, I recommend spending the stones there.

I run between 3-5 ss cache for her in games. Against some matchups I will go as high as 6 (viks, dreamer, misaki) or if she is my treasure hunt model. Normal list I run with her I have is 4 cache. I will normally use 1 ss for a enemy model obey. Usually 2ss are burned for init flips. Maybe 1 for a gunshot if red joker is in my hand/defense flip.

Key point though with me is I don't play her far forward. She will be on the frontline but not off by her lonesome. Most of time I will mainly just obey my own stuff. But if I can make a good enemy model be isolated and way too forward I will obey them (recently played a game against kang and did this made the whole mei list have to rush up to support him and it made it so I could focus on who I wanted).

I tend to this a way to learn when to use soul stones, and to figure out what you need yourself, over what everyone here says is to play 4 or 5 games with 8, and just use them like you have a hundred, and figure out where you needed it and where you didn't, and reduce accordingly.

Personally i tend to run every master at 8SS and if i end up with some left over then great i didn't need them all and didn't struggle for them and run out. (Perdita loves them for her DF flips, due to yes its a great number, but sometimes a bad flip & a bad hand still means its easy to hit her and she does not have many WD.)

Sometimes it's fun to just load up on stones with Perdita and watch people cringe in fear at the best stat line in the game pummeling them and looking untouchable. In serious games I try to take a minimum of five stones, but tend to be reserved about going higher than six. They're important to ensure you nail the other master when it counts and if anything slips past your defense it's imperative to have a stone or two on hand to deal with the fact that the gunslinging gal only has eight wounds.

I have found that when I bring 8 with her, the opponent usually doesn't even try to hit her ("whats the point" mentality) leaving a bunch to give her a crazy damage output and fuel the totem obey.

Then again the last game I played Lady J one shot her and I ended up with 5 stones to reflip initiative with. Then again that involved red joker, black joker, and a low prevention flip. In any case I prefer to have 6-8 stones with any master. (except maybe kirai)

I don't really feel comfortable with fewer than 5 for Perdita (or any Master really) and I much prefer to have 8 if possible. As Ozz says, her defence is good, but her wounds are low compared to almost all the other Masters, so sometimes you'll find you need to use one to up her defence and still burn one for damage prevention.

Other times it's nice to just have the bit of wiggle room on an attack flip to really drive an attack home, for example when you're sat with the Red Joker in your hand and she's attacking an important model.

Again, as suggested above, try a few games with 8, then maybe try a few with just her cache of 2 and see if you feel the lack.

These days, I tend to look at the soulstone cache of a master as the x in the equation (x - 8) + game size to tell me how many stones I actually have to build a crew with.

Perdita takes it to a whole new level though. Given her monstrous statline, I find that more often I than not I want to put her in a crew to bolster her own abilities, since there is not a model in this game she cannot ultramurder.