Yan Lo players?

Jewomie

i am going to be picking up Yan Lo's starter box here in the next week or so, and i had a question for you all. aside from the stuff that comes in his box and Izamu, are there any other great pieces for Yan Lo? Rebecca is going to pick up Misaki's box and we are going to split the ten thunders archers and she wants to pick up the Oiran as well, so i would have some options of course, i was just wondering if there was anything really neat that i am missing.

Or, to flip this around, are there any older rezzer pieces that he likes to have around outside of punk zombies? i have a pretty huge collection to pick from and we typically run 35 point games so i am just looking for some hiring options so i don't get sucked into using only one or two iterations of a list like i do with Lilith or Dr. McMorning. lol

any help would be great, Thank you!

During the campaign months, we have been playing more 25 point games.

This is my favorite 25 point list:

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Yan Lo
--
5 Pool

Soul Porter [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Chiaki, the Niece
    [5ss]

• Izamu, the Armor
    [10ss]

The dogs have been "first responders" trying to get early VP if possible and otherwise just trying to entangle enemy models long enough for Izamu to smash face. As they die, Yan Lo's chi rises and eventually he is ready to step out of the background and do some killing.

I have been trying to play quickly and straightforward with this during the campaign to try to get more games in and the Speed of Izamu has taken people by surprise quite often. People have now caught on though and my doing the same basic thing the last two times has resulted in losses.

The first loss was more related to some pretty terri-bad cards and flips, though... I had Dreamer and Coppelius DEAD before I had taken any damage...

And then a series of very sad things allowed Chompy to wipe out most of my crew.

Even so, had I won initiate in the later game in a crucial time, I had a Melee Master Yan Lo(With 2 wounds left) that was capable of taking out most of the enemy models and I lost the initiative.

The last game was just a rematch against a Viks player that had been taken by surprise a couple weeks ago by Izamu speed and was better prepared for the rush.

Now that they have all seen me basically zerg-rush with the list and know better what NOT to do against it, I have to play smarter. (Makes my head hurt)

I will say that I have been pretty infatuated with his melee path so I am thinking about changing it up a bit when the campaign is done.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot this was 10T forum... :)

Edited by Gruesome

if you don't mind my asking... (as i have only used Kirai once and just missed McMorning the whole time) is there a specific reason to bring Datsu-ba? During that one game i was more focused on figuring out how Kirai's movement shenannagins worked, but if memory serves i was a little underwhelmed with Datsu-ba.

I'm willing to give it a shot, just not sure if there is some sort of synergy there that i'm missing, or if she is just a lot better than i assumed after that game.

THanks everyone!

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

During the campaign months, we have been playing more 25 point games.

This is my favorite 25 point list:

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Yan Lo
--
5 Pool

Soul Porter [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Chiaki, the Niece
    [5ss]

• Izamu, the Armor
    [10ss]

The dogs have been "first responders" trying to get early VP if possible and otherwise just trying to entangle enemy models long enough for Izamu to smash face. As they die, Yan Lo's chi rises and eventually he is ready to step out of the background and do some killing.

I have been trying to play quickly and straightforward with this during the campaign to try to get more games in and the Speed of Izamu has taken people by surprise quite often. People have now caught on though and my doing the same basic thing the last two times has resulted in losses.

The first loss was more related to some pretty terri-bad cards and flips, though... I had Dreamer and Coppelius DEAD before I had taken any damage...

And then a series of very sad things allowed Chompy to wipe out most of my crew.

Even so, had I won initiate in the later game in a crucial time, I had a Melee Master Yan Lo(With 2 wounds left) that was capable of taking out most of the enemy models and I lost the initiative.

The last game was just a rematch against a Viks player that had been taken by surprise a couple weeks ago by Izamu speed and was better prepared for the rush.

Now that they have all seen me basically zerg-rush with the list and know better what NOT to do against it, I have to play smarter. (Makes my head hurt)

I will say that I have been pretty infatuated with his melee path so I am thinking about changing it up a bit when the campaign is done.

I was a little scared when i first saw your line up but before i actually read anything. i thought you were going to tell me that the first activation should be spent killing all the dogs to get his Chi up... i was going to scream as every time i ask for advice with my other rezzers people seem to tell me to kill more dogs on the first turn so i can summon. I only have two of the remaines, but with your list, i understand why they work since you're not just scalpel slingin' them and effectively wasteing the first two turns of the game.

:D

I am tempted to give this a shot next time i flip treasure hunt or claim jump. Thanks!

sure:

the desperate merc attack each other, then datsu-ba kills them presenting yan lo with 2 chi, 2 corpse counters and 2 gaki/onryo.

the gaki can either eat these coutners, or yan lo can use them to rebuild corpus on a dead ancestor

datsu-ba is a fast moving (no escaping spell) 8wd spirit who can healing flip spirits (and yan lo can make things into spirits for a turn) who can also make friendly spirits faster (think spirit izamu).

combined with her slow/no movement abilities she's quite a useful support model and not a bad hitter.

the viks are a pretty hard counter to a kirai crew - fast moving magical weapons and whirlwind makes a mess of clumped up spirits. It's going to be less effective agaisnt yan lo. His initial chi goes into bone so he's regen1 and df7, I then favour pouring the rest into ash to make him a melee master (because 5 ap is nasty).

that is exactly what my train of thought was. Good to know i'm reading his stats right! lol

I play against the viks a lot, so i've gotten used to their zaney antics, but to this day i still have trouble comming up with a good counter. Last night i played them, and Rebecca kicked my ass so bad that by the end of turn 4 my entire crew had been reduced to a bloody smear across our terraclips... and i was using Lillith! D: lol granted i can see a couple issues i made in my initial set up, and i was so excited to be using Tuco for the first time i may have tried to hard to keep him alive and paid less attention to what i was doing with Lilith.

I still think McMorning is capable of handling the viks and at least get me some VP instead of just getting cleared off the table, but i havn't really mastered the art of building good Ressurectionist lists yet. Hence my questions on Yan Lo. I think for the first couple games i'm just going to stick to ancestors and his special hiring capabilities. but my first couple expansions will be datsu-ba and onryo

I was a little scared when i first saw your line up but before i actually read anything. i thought you were going to tell me that the first activation should be spent killing all the dogs to get his Chi up... i was going to scream as every time i ask for advice with my other rezzers people seem to tell me to kill more dogs on the first turn so i can summon.

I understand.

I only chop dogs with Nicodem and McMourning. For Nicodem, I only chop dogs turn 1 when I take his Avatar to get the requirement out of the way and manifest at my leisure when its a good time. (Also nice to have some MZ off the bat for emergency defense or summons.)

McMourning, I do a totem and single canine remains when I have the right cards because 8 body parts from just the 2 models is pretty great on turn 1 whether I want a Rogue Necro out, or a flesh contruct and FAST for the first 3 turns guaranteed. :)

Other than that, I like the dogs around. With Nicodem bolstering them in a pack, they are quite a nuisance.

I would never dog kill with Yan Lo. His crews early actions are too useful and I also want to outactivate opponent as long as I can so that Izamu gets his choice of targets. They will die eventually, but I do not need Yan Lo at high Chi so early game, so it makes no sense for how I have played him to this point to chop dogs.

An important component of dog killing for me is how many actions does it take.

In a Nicodem list with Rafkin, it is so very simple. (It is his best feature to me, to be able to kill the dogs so easily, while still allowing them all to activate and then to get so many body parts from all the transactions)

They still all activate so I outactivate turn 1, and then they die from poison.

If I did not have something in the list that killed the dogs with minimal AP, I would never bother to.

Edited by Gruesome

I've only played a few games with Yan Lo so far, but I took Von Schill in one, and they make an awesome combo, let me tell you what. Yan Lo has a need for speed in his crew, and Von Schill provides just that. Oiran are incredibly handy against fate heavy and WP heavy crews, but I would also consider taking some Rotten Belles with him as a Resser for the luring ability. Being able to pull models out of formation for Izamu to eat is just plain awesome.

I've only played a few games with Yan Lo so far, but I took Von Schill in one, and they make an awesome combo, let me tell you what. Yan Lo has a need for speed in his crew, and Von Schill provides just that. Oiran are incredibly handy against fate heavy and WP heavy crews, but I would also consider taking some Rotten Belles with him as a Resser for the luring ability. Being able to pull models out of formation for Izamu to eat is just plain awesome.

Izamu likes belles... noted. :D

Do the Oiran not have a lure type spell? i'm not overly familliar with them outside of the fact that they are showgirls.

Always with the negative waves moriarty, always with the negative waves.

It's Malifaux... we all know there is no perfect spell. The fate deck decides. I choose to throw catuion to the wind and say, "screw it! Let's cast this!" and when it inevitably flips the black joker, i facepalm and move on. =]

This is way off topic... but i feel like the ressurectionist players all need to cheer up. We may not have the strongest faction... but we have one of the coolest. that's something to be proud of. Second to (maybe) neverborn i would say we have more cool sculpts than any other faction as a whole.

Edit: Until Yin comes out... then we'll just be the faction with the entrail face lady.

That'll work, and maybe a single belle or oiran could make the list....but I wouldn't count on it working when you needed it.

Wait, why wouldn't Lure work when you needed it? It needs a 4 to go off, and is very hard to resist if you cheat a fairly high card.

I have no idea on Oiran though, as I haven't really read them. Because I have Belles.

Wait, why wouldn't Lure work when you needed it? It needs a 4 to go off, and is very hard to resist if you cheat a fairly high card.

I have no idea on Oiran though, as I haven't really read them. Because I have Belles.

My thoughts as well... but i was wondering if the Oiran would be a decent replacement if i ever hire him as a 10 thunders master. I'll probably stick more toward the Resurrectionist master, but just for a change up, it would be nice. haha.

I know Rebecca is picking up the Oiran, so i'll fiddle around with them and see what i think.

My thoughts as well... but i was wondering if the Oiran would be a decent replacement if i ever hire him as a 10 thunders master. I'll probably stick more toward the Resurrectionist master, but just for a change up, it would be nice. haha.

I know Rebecca is picking up the Oiran, so i'll fiddle around with them and see what i think.

No so much on the ability to cast it, but on lure's overall usefulness in Malifaux. Although it can be OK, I generally feel that lure is overrated as an ability, especially outside of a companion chain, which this would be. My caveat is simply don't count on lure to be useful when you need it to be. In the yan lo list I'd actually rather have the ashigaru as the 4ss minion.

it doesn't have to be a companion chain. if you simply make sure the model you're attempting to pull has already activated this turn, then you know it wont get a new AP this round and you're safe. (in most cases) Also it can be very useful when trying to remove the ability to companion from your opponent. ie the ten thunders brothers or the Ortegas. Also, if you get someone stuck in melee and need to either get them out or get the enemy off of them, it's uesful there as well.

Useful enough to warrent more than one model with the spell? no. not in my opinion. But is it overrated? I don't think so. While i don't use it often, i like to have the option from time to time. Sure the ashigaru will proabably be my main force in his crew, but 3 is more than likely going to be too many. it all depends on Strategies, doesn't it?

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Also, to date, in all my Resser action... i don't think i have used Lure more than twice. Both times it did save my ass. the other hundred Resser games, i didn't need it or didn't miss it when i didn't take a belle.

I just like to have my options :)