Modular Battle Terrain!

Heriberto Vall

So... We had our monthly big Malifaux Battlefest coming up in our game club. So I figured I'd do something special this time for the guys and keep it a secret until it was time to duke it out.

This was a 3 night project. One night to cut the foam (Pink foam) and cut inlays like the precipice and where puddles would be located. Another night to sculpt/basecoat and add textures, and a final night for the painting, resins, flocking and whatnot. And here it is.

Each tile measures 1 feet. We used some of the little finished other terrain pieces we had and most of the WIP terrain. but for three nights after work, it was a good surprise i'd say.

I think I'm going to go next time with something I can cut in a more exact way, like wood for the bases of the tiles. I liked the idea, but it is hard not to cut at an angle with the foam, and made the fitting kind of iffy. This was colored with leftover housepaint, and Oil colors and washes, which are unexpensive, and strangely unused for terrain methinks.

Resin is just tinted clear resin left to puddle.

so, what do you think? like?

post-11243-139119278392_thumb.jpg

post-11243-13911927837617_thumb.jpg

post-11243-13911927838162_thumb.jpg

post-11243-13911927838643_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I'm finishing up a modular board of my own and I think they're the way to go when you can.

Totally agree with the wood base idea. I grabbed a sheet of plywood from Home Depot, cut it up and glued the foam to that and then trimmed the foam from the edges. It helps make the placement a little more flush with the various pieces.