The Lolzamu Delivery System

Mordeqai

So, I've had amazing success lately with an expensive duet - The Dead Rider, and Izamu. I understand this is 20SS investment that could be spend on other things, but that's beyond what I'm going to try to get at.

I've dubbed it the Lolzamu (As I've grown fond of calling him) Delivery System. In my eyes, and I believe every else's, Izamu absolutely needs to spend the maximum amount of AP getting in melee hits. With his embarassing walk of 4", it's not that easy to get into any notable melee the first turn or two of the game - Unless you utilize the Dead Rider. I play this set in a Nicodem crew (I really love Bolster...), and it's never failed me.

The set up goes as this, in deployment:

Nico is as far ahead as he can get, preferably in cover

Place the Dead Rider and Izamu within 3" of eachother

Place the Grave Spirit in B2B with DR or Izamu

The turn:

-Grave Spirit Links Izamu/Dead Rider (Doesn't need to companion Nico)

-Nico Bolster's Undead, and moves forward a bit, staying in cover if possible

-All the other fodder units (Like Belles, Canines, etc) activate to waste the opponents activations

-Dead Rider uses [2] Mounted Combat on Izamu, dragging him 10"-12" directly towards the highest threat model. If you match the duel, you're at a -2 flip against Object 2. Expect only 1 damage.

-Izamu should be within charging, or Melee, range of at least 1 enemy model. This gives Izamu 2-3 AP to spend on hitting people really hard, and secondarily, is great at distracting a large pool of the opponent's force for the rest of your models to capture objectives.

Better yet, the Dead Rider can stay behind or to the side of Izamu, and with his parallel 3" melee, you've created a meat grinder even Kang doesn't want to walk into. And if things really get bad, and the enemy gets past both Object 2 and Armor 2 (On either DR or Izamu), then you can Decay blast from the GS, or [2] Mounted Combat to get both of them away (Just make sure the GS has linked the DR first, as he won't push into B2B with Izamu if he's Pushed)

I'm looking for ways to better this strategy, or even ask if it's worth it in other's eyes. The ability to make Izamu mobile is a very freeing effect, and having 2 models with such a terrifying presence in such close proximity can be a very reliable method of offense.

So here's my question - Is this worth it, and is it something I can bring to tournament play? If not, what can I do to improve this philosophy of expensive models?

Edited by Mordeqai
Grammar mistake, clarification

I like it.

I have been playing a very successful Nico list with Izamu, 3 Ashigaru, GS, and 5 dogs. Its a ball busting list, so I see how good yours can be. Will have to drop the 3 Ashigaru and try the DR in it.

Be careful with throwing around Decay blast in melee combat however, if Izamu becomes the target the spell fails (at least thats the way we have been playing it here...) because he is I to I.

It could be scarier with a DR spirit dragging Izamu around. Izamu wouldn't need it, since the push is of "unlimited range" (Can just push around walls and through the Rider himself after the Rider has moved into position) Although, I'll be honest - I've only tried this with Nicodem, and plan to do it with McMourning next game, especially since McMourning's heal isn't a Wp duel :P I don't own a Kirai set yet, but I'm getting there!

And a note on the Decay into melee - While it is a very valid point, with the GS directly behind Izamu (About a 2" base) and Izamu's melee at 3", the opportunity minimizes itself for the GS to be caught in melee.

Be careful with throwing around Decay blast in melee combat however, if Izamu becomes the target the spell fails (at least thats the way we have been playing it here...) because he is I to I.
True! Randomizing onto the Dead Rider isn't much better as his Hard to Wound 2 will make it unlikely you'll get any blasts (though at least he'll heal 2). The fact that you're flipping multiple cards for each of them when randomizing makes it more likely the spell won't perform as you'd like.

I like Nico + Izamu + Rider, though it's rough that Nico is so slow. I might be inclined to give the GS to Nico, mounted combat Nico into a central location in the first turn. Then in the second turn the Rider can drag Izamu pretty much anywhere on the table, and likely still in Bolster range.

McMourning is a solid choice too, and he wouldn't need help to keep up with Fast and Scalpel Slingin, though you lose out on Bolster which is huge.

Dead rider has i2i too so can't target dead rider with decay :(. Fun idea but not seeing it overly competitive. You have two models who are good at killing but where is your vp generators? Keep in mind killing power doesn't always equal win. This is a very strong combo that can kill almost anything but for 20 as I would hope so.

There is some credence to this combo but in limited fashion IMO. Maybe against Guild because it allows you the quickness to approach the shooters and take them out first and maybe against fellow Ressers too. I think pushing up on turn 1 against most Neverborn crews would be a mistake as well as Leveticus and the vicki's/Von Shill from the Outcasts.

If your opponent plays it safe and doesn't double walk on turn one your going to be out of bolster range on turn 1 if you press to deep. I think it has more value on Turn 2 where Nico can support better with Rigor Mortis on a few models and then pop the fog plus bolster.

As having been the one to play against Mordeqai while he was using this combo I can say it is quite effective. Having a bunch of the cheaper minions that are available to Ressers, you can usually out activate your opponent which gives you a big advantage using this trick. Since most of your opponents models have moved up the board you are usually going to have your pick of a couple of targets to engage and possible drop first turn. And if you go after a major model you can often drain cards/stones and ruin your opponent's hand shaping efforts that they may be counting on for turn two.

Of course this is a combo that is going to be best at 35+ stones. You may be able to get away with it at 30 but it will be less effective and at less than 30 it is not really viable as you need the cheaper minions to out activate your opponent for it to work effectively. Otherwise you are just putting your two most expensive models out front to be beat on.

Edited by pgbsamurai

Of course this is a combo that is going to be best at 35+ stones. You may be able to get away with it at 30 but it will be less effective and at less than 30 it is not really viable as you need the cheaper minions to out activate your opponent for it to work effectively. Otherwise you are just putting your two most expensive models out front to be beat on.

This is the same concern I'm having. I'll be playing a lot of 25SS games soon, but for 30+ SS games (Particularly with Nicodem. 3-4 Canine Remains Reanimate into a decent mix of 30mm models) I think I may play it regularly. However, in 25SS games... I'm afraid the Dead Rider's gonna be left out :(