Waldgiest

BurkerKiing

The PMF is a good start. Their opinion on the Waldgeist is about what I got from reading their entry in the first book. Also I think there was a discussion on Waldgeists and ALilith a bit of a ways back, but I might be wrong on that one. I've got no play experience myself but I've been wanting to try them out with my Zoraida some time.

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Waldgeist

As someone who uses them with Marcus (on the odd occasion I use Marcus), and has played against aLilith who used them, they're pretty good. Very tough models, fairly solid damage output, lots of tricks to be used involving moving forests (which of course Lilith can see through).

I like them, but then I don't really know what else neverborn have in that price bracket which might be better. I guess 2 terror tots are good, but obviously they perform totally different roles to the more defensive waldgeist.

I play Lilith and aLilith and find them useful. You want to put them in a wood or illusory forest. In addition to being hard to hit with ranged attacks, they're hard to hit with charges. They have good armor. So it takes a lot of activations to put them down.

I like to move one up. While your opponent is dealing with it, your other models are free to do other things.

It's a good 6 stone model. (But not as good as the 7 stone Twins or Tuco.)

Never actually seen anyone mention these guys - are they any good or should I just park them and let them gather dust?

Oh they've been mentionned quite a few times here, and as stated above, they're quite good.

We might even see more of "tree" oriented Neverborn in the future...seems that Lilith is headed that way :)

Just don't make the huge oversight I did with aLilith (translation: big effing mistake). When your opponent has the Strategy Plant Evidence, it's not advisable to drop more terrain on your half of the board for their models to interact with. And definitely don't just drop the trees right on top of their models.

Did a facepalm and said, "You win".

I was just so excited that I got Lilith manifested. What a buzzkill.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok for Lilith I'm going to compare two 6 point models that synergies well with Lilith. First being the waldegheists. They have +2 armor which is absolutely huge as not many never born models even have armor. The next key ability they bring to the table is thier ability to manipulate forsests as well as getting the additional - flip from being obstructed which is huge against ranged or spell attacks, not only that you can attack something that you move your forest on and you potentially don't even have to be in melee range of the target of your attack, (depending on the size of the forest) Lastly they have a 2/4/5 damage spread with a cb of 6 with reach 2.

Next I will discuss the young Nephlim. The young Nephlim brings a lot of offensive capabilities in comparison to the more defensive waldegheists. First of they have melee expert (+1) giving them an extra action when in melee, secondly they have the ability diving charge which allows them to charge a model as long as they are within thier charge distance allowing them to effectively be able to alpha strike it's target by being able to charge over everything except impassable terrain not even needing LoS, next we have the damage profile of 2/4/5 with a cb of 6 as well virtually identical to the waldegheists but they also have a trigger associated with thier attacks called flay. This trigger effects if the melee attack hits and deals damage and then adds +2 damage to the attack bumping up its damage profile to 4/6/7!! Higher than a mature Nephlim!! Finally young Nephlim have the ability to drain blood as a (0) action which after killing a model that is living or u ndead you may gain a blood counter which can be used to mature the young if the young gets another blood token or uses liliths blood counters, or a friendly terror tot can use the blood counter to mature to a young Nephlim (highly recommended) Also the young Nephlim have black blood when damaged within an inch of a non-neverborn model they deal a wound to the attacker which can be very huge depending on how many wounds the attacker has left.

My thoughts: I personally run youngs over the waldegheists as the forest combo is really good for board control, I believe a well placed illusionary forest is good enough on its own. Also I love the aspects of the maturing process, there are a lot of factions with a ton of living or undead models that you will be able to drink blood and mature your tots up to youngs or youngs to matures for just using blood counters that you essentially get for free. Not only that there is usually enough scenery on the board that my youngs can march up behind the scenery without being attacked then using diving charge to get the first strike on your opponent. Also they can use Liliths blood that she collects or can be companioned to Lilith being a Nephlim as liliths (0) action, which is huge if you want to kill something or possibly kill a couple things fast. Although if your trying to sit on an objective it's hard to beat armor +2 with a living forests sitting on the objective.

Edited by IDislexiaHave