Rasputina base wip

Skexes

Ok so I've decided that after painting hordes of troops for my 4 Warmahordes factions that I will make my Malifaux pieces real top quality. I think this will lend it's self we'll with the low model count and all.

Here is my first attempt to kick it up a notch. First I got some clear resin and tried to find a roll that fit on top of a base. I sprayed my makeshift mold with Pam and poured away, while mixing some broken glass into the resin.

The next time I will try Vaseline as the Pam did not work and it was hard to get the thing out.

CAM00229_zps710d450e.jpg

This is the general idea

CAM00230_zpsdcda3abc.jpg

And yes, this is sharp as hell. Blood has been spilled on this project.

Ok so now I try to sand this piece of turd down to make it shiny and realize that the wire tool I am using actually voids out the resin. Cool!

Unfortunately I also drop it and break some parts of it, but that makes it a little less dangerous.

Also this part is done outdoors with a bandana over my face, dust goes everywhere. Lung cancer sucks!

beb77d82e4a4ba916fca2d948efe133b_zps0adabf77.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Then, as I void more resin I begin to realize that it leaves the little glass chunks in and they are shiny. Super cool!

CAM00231_zps1596f475.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Then I got a really stupid idea. It needs to be lit. Like from underneath. So.

CAM00232_zps84b3f626.jpg

CAM00233_zps46640e54.jpg

Ignore Feora, she just doesn't like Ice and is a little worried about ber realm. She has nothing to fear. Rasputina will live on another shelf.

Ok so now it's painting time!

Base coat.

CAM00246_zps62f436eb.jpg

CAM00247_zps76f0bdee.jpg

CAM00248_zps751f1b60.jpg

So I think there might need to do more with the liner of her cloak. More to follow. Perhaps a checkerboard pattern?

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

First time trying something like this... Draw a grid. Don't worry the sloppy parts will be filled in.

CAM00249_zps4efa43b9.jpg

So far looking really good , I just would never use glass in my bases since when they do drop ( and they always do lol ) I don't lose half the effect .

Yeah. Most of it is now encased in resin, so it's pretty safe. After it's done I'll throw a glaze varnish to dull the edges some.

Adding some green.

CAM00250_zps0fde3d09.jpg

You might have been better mixing with grey. It will give you the paleness without brightening it up. It's a really good way to make pastels.

But, it is looking very good. Love the base, although I don't think I'd be brave enough to use glass. And you are really making me want to tackle Resin. One of the many things I want to learn to do to up my modeling.

Little update. Well took several steps real quick. Tried some wet blending on her clothes and cloak. I think it turned out pretty well. Then I attached her to the base, using epoxy and a small piece of the paperclip that was holding her. Then SNOW, cause that's fun too. It may not look like it, but she is secure as hell on there. Kind of a neat, flying effect. Just shade the red and her skin and seal her up.

CAM00261_zpse1f95fe0.jpg

CAM00258_zps1db38e12.jpg

CAM00257_zpsfc7ae98e.jpg

CAM00256_zps9863466b.jpg