Newbie starting with Misaki

Arkh

So... I saw the Misaki + Ten Thunders models and decided it was time to get into Malifaux.

I've gotten 4 games in thus far and finally on my 4th game won my first game. (though my first 3 games I wasn't told that the soulstone cache on Misaki represented the number of soulstones that she starts with... I thought that was the max that I could put into her cache to start the game, so I was playing down 4 points effectively.)

Just started playing 35 pts with the following crew:

Misaki

Shang 3

Ototo 8

Torakage 6

Torakage 6

Archer 6

Archer 6

So far my finding has been the following:

- Initiative becomes increasingly important the further into the game you get.

- Keep Shang near the archers in order to assist them by pushing them out of combat with the only spell he can cast.

- Shang should be a spirit...

- Ototo is not as invincible as he first appears, though if you throw him into a defensive stance and then torakage him up field he's pretty tough to deal with.

- The archers deal pretty insane damage, however really need a torakage or shang on the table to get them out of melee once they get engaged.

- The torakage being able to add 5" of threat range to the archers on first turn is very useful.

Now a question... Should I get Oiran? The only models I own thus far are the archers and the Misaki crew box. (I am not going to buy any of the old metals regardless of how good they might be.)

Just wondering about your attitude to the metal models, is there any particular reason you don't want to consider them?

Anyway, in plastics I'd be looking at getting yamiziko next - misaki's sensei makes her, and her crew function at a better pitch.

Oiran will prove useful, but what I'd really recommend are Ten Thunder Brothers (despite them being Metal). You can live without other metal models (although there are plenty of them that would be great for Misaki) but I'm not sure I could live without the 'Companion' ability they bring for her whole crew...

Oiran will be a solid expansion though - the Lure ability and decent buffing they bring for a cheap price will be useful. Other Plastic models I'm looking forward to with Misaki are Traps (for cheap control models) and Wastrels who will provide excellent objective grabbing in combination with Torakage...

EDIT - actually yeah, get Yamaziko next - I didn't even notice that she was missing, but she has great synergy with Misaki and is a great model in her own right!

Edited by FearLord

Just wondering about your attitude to the metal models, is there any particular reason you don't want to consider them?

Anyway, in plastics I'd be looking at getting yamiziko next - misaki's sensei makes her, and her crew function at a better pitch.

I am just not a fan of almost all of the sculpts and I like to do things differently :). I would love to get Yamaziko, but need to wait until February. I will probably drop a torakage for Yamaziko once she gets released.

I mostly play miniature games because I like to exercise the creative side of my brain and I don't enjoy working with models that I don't like aesthetically. Once I finish a few commissions I will start posting my Ten Thunders crew in the painting section of the forums.

• 4 weeks later...

About a month into the game now and starting to decide on what I consider to be a good list.

Here's what I'm running at 25:

Misaki + 4 SS

Shang

Yamaziko

Torakage

Torakage

The point of the list is to get Misaki engaging enemy models on turn one with "you're mine" up (using the two torakage to advance her 10" up the field) . Access to free healing flips & fast from Yamaziko and reflips + more cards from Shang. On turn two the two torakage that advanced Misaki both do their disappearing acts with the intent of showing up on the other side of the table where the action is going on. Or... showing up on objectives for the start of turn 3. Misaki should be able to survive a while because of the access to 8 SS + Shang + Yamaziko support.

When the list goes to 35 I haven't decided where to go with the list. Perhaps Oiran + Ototo, -2 SS. Or just oiran + Archer... Or 2 archers, -2 SS... not sure what is best.

Edited by Arkh

About a month into the game now and starting to decide on what I consider to be a good list.

Here's what I'm running at 25:

Misaki + 4 SS

Shang

Yamaziko

Torakage

Torakage

The point of the list is to get Misaki engaging enemy models on turn one with "you're mine" up (using the two torakage to advance her 10" up the field) . Access to free healing flips & fast from Yamaziko and reflips + more cards from Shang. On turn two the two torakage that advanced Misaki both do their disappearing acts with the intent of showing up on the other side of the table where the action is going on. Or... showing up on objectives for the start of turn 3. Misaki should be able to survive a while because of the access to 8 SS + Shang + Yamaziko support.

When the list goes to 35 I haven't decided where to go with the list. Perhaps Oiran + Ototo, -2 SS. Or just oiran + Archer... Or 2 archers... not sure what is best.

Ototo has done nothing but impress me against ressers. More specifically because it's the flavor of the month to bring Izamu. That spell that gives him extra damage to objects and keeping him from being moved at all is something fierce when you're engaging, I'd recommend at least trying him out!

Ototo has done nothing but impress me against ressers. More specifically because it's the flavor of the month to bring Izamu. That spell that gives him extra damage to objects and keeping him from being moved at all is something fierce when you're engaging, I'd recommend at least trying him out!

I've been using Ototo quite a bit actually. My last game at 25 was my first game without him. I feel like he is too slow and requires a dedicated torakage to get him where he needs to be. Then when he gets there he dies fast even with the 11 wounds because he has nothing defensive to keep himself alive other than hard to kill which only keeps him alive for one more attack. Gratned... For the first half of my games with Ten Thunders he was my favorite model on the table and I loved his damage output. In the end, as you said, it depends on what you are up against. Against ressers he is fantastic because of how much defensive stuff he ignores.

That said... Last night was my first two games with yamaziko and I am miles more impressed with her at 6 points than I am with ototo at 8. Yamaziko's strengths are not dependent on what my opponent brings to the table.

Taelor isn't a terrible choice either to replace Ototo against Crews with a lot of Armor.

And it's true, clearly Izamu is merely a flavor of the month.

Or something.

?

haha well it's a very useful model and brings a really nice beatstick to the resser's table with a reposte trigger. He's definitely viable. But people in my meta will take him without realizing what ototo can do to objects haha!

Ototo is my personal favorite 8ss model for Misaki, you just have to get him hurt first. I ignored an opponents Ototo (while he killed a couple things I eventually brought back) until I was able to get a charge off with Izamu, and was able to kill him in one go.

If you don't, he's going to lay a smack down.

Ototo is my personal favorite 8ss model for Misaki, you just have to get him hurt first. I ignored an opponents Ototo (while he killed a couple things I eventually brought back) until I was able to get a charge off with Izamu, and was able to kill him in one go.

If you don't, he's going to lay a smack down.

That's the problem that I am having. My opponents don't seem to be having trouble killing ototo in a single round of combat. Perhaps I am just unlucky... On the flip side, he does tend to draw out the red joker. Only problem is that I can't really prevent that from happening because he is only def 4. Which also tends to mean that he is dying in the next attack. Ototo has been killed in two hits on numerous occasions.

The only times It seems to take my opponent two turns to kill him, ototo will have already activated and then my opponent will win the initiative flip on the following turn and finish him off before I get a chance to use him while enraged. I think I have only ever gotten to use him once while enraged in around 12-15 games so far.

Torakage - 10T Bro.....Ototo Delivery System will help with that.

If you have two Torakage, you can get him in, let him do his thing, then get him out and let the opponent play with the high Def / high Cb Torakage.

I don't have a 10T brother yet. That's probably what I'm missing to make Ototo do his thing correctly. He is all offense, no defense, and when he has to sit there getting pummeled on after the initial torakage swap then sit and wait again until the second torakage swaps him back out he tends to end up dead. Perhaps I will pick up a single 10T brother and then give ototo another shot.

It's a huge investment in SS.........25. I've found just one Torakage to be enough....just to get Ototo in and let him kill something hard....which reduces the amount of hard stuff coming back at him to allow him to get another go.

That's kind of where I am at. I think I am going to try a 3 torakage list at 35 pts because I want 2 for misaki and ototo needs his own torakage as well. Naturally it will depend on what I am up against, but I am at least going to try it a few times.