Spray Primer?

*Jack*

Righto -

I've been painting quite a while, and for primer, I've nearly always stuck to GW stuff, because I know it works. Not wanting to continue paying through the roof, and handing money to the evil empire, I'm looking for some alternatives. What do you use? I want stuff thats fit for miniatures, nothing that will obscure the detail or pool up on models.

I've used army painter before, and whilst good, its almost the same price as GW and the three cans I've bought have all fizzed or exploded before I'm done with them.

I've only used black previously, but if anyone knows where I can get a decent white one from too, I'd be grateful (GW one is crap, I'll buy army painters and try it after christmas)

Thanks in advance :)

I've tried a few. I had a truly horrible experience with the Army Painter cans, although I know some people swear by them (I just swear at them :P). I keep coming back to the GW ones - they give a nice even coat every time.

I also do use cheap primer from the local hardware store for terrain and 40K tanks. It's fine on the bigger stuff. It would probably work ok on regular figures with a bit of care.

I've had similar experiences with Army Painter - White. Army Painter - Black was just fine all the way until the can was empty. The White petered out on me 3/4 of the way through.

Currently I am using Krylon - Black Primer and I have no complaints at all other than the spray tip sucks: the can I has a weird flat wide area spray.

The one + to Army painter is that I find it takes one quick hit, where as the kyrlon usually takes two. I was very happy with the krylon for a while, then used some grey army painter I had left over and realized how much better it was.

On my new Yan Lo crew I'm decided to try Army painter again, this time with a crystal blue as the base and I'll probably do a quick light spray of their bone color. Hoping to get a subtle 'magic' blue glow effect from his crew. We shall see.

I used to only use spray primer but I recently decided to give airbrushing a go so now I use Vallejo Surface Primer and shoot it through the airbrush. It just needs a little thinning and its perfect. Covers excellently, very little waste as what I don't use gets tipped back into the bottle. I also never need to worry about getting a dodgy can.

The only issues are the upfront cost for an airbrush and small compressor as well as it does take a little longer to prime models with an airbrush than with a spray can.

I just buy regular stuff from hardware or automotive stores. I've used matt black, grey and white and also a brick red (specifically called plastic primer). Can be as cheap as £3 a can. There again, I've never won a Golden Demon, but its fine for tabletop quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Primer-400ml-bumper-mirrors-dash-etc-GREY-/350483005330?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item519a6a3f92

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Primer-Red-400ml-Aerosol-/180930053491?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2a20458573

I paint at night (and almost lost an irreplaceable miniature outside when I dropped it outside!), so use thin layers of brush-on primer. I'll still see metal, so follow this with thin layers of white (or whatever) paint.

Clear gesso works fine, too. You can add whatever paint color to it to shade the cracks, start coloring the basecoat, whatever.