My Gremlin crew.

Bahoola

Their are a lot of nice painted models in this thread, and apparently some very skilled painters. So I like to tribute with my crew. I’m not an experienced painter so I would like some feed back on what I have done and tips on techniques to improve and refine what I know.

Here is what I finished to day. First pine box I’ve ever built, just a little wide on the top, otherwise quit happy. My original thought was to add a lock to the box and have a skeleton hang out throw it and make it look like the rat grabbed that skull. But that was just to hard to do. So I went for an open coffin instead.

post-9967-13911926484031_thumb.jpg

Got some other models on the club that I plan to upload as well. But this is it for now.

Great looking base and a nice coffin.

The rat reminds me of one I've painted on one of the square bases for a planescape character from dungeons & dragons long ago. Just that this rat is huuuge 0_o

I haven't painted furry minis for a long time, so I also have a question > how do you higlight hair and fur properly?

How come that a rat is in a gremlin crew? I know that they are outcasts, but is there any sinergy between rats and gremlins(except that I would say they are both vermin :D )?

Edited by Linus Mcmold

How come that a rat is in a gremlin crew? I know that they are outcasts, but is there any sinergy between rats and gremlins(except that I would say they are both vermin :D )?

And to the rest of you all that want to see some greenskinns!

Well that’s a very god question! Well in my defence I like to point out that he is on my crew list, and it was the only painted model I got at home. :-P But do not despair, I promise you all that I will upload some Greenskinns before the week is done!

The rat reminds me of one I've painted on one of the square bases for a planescape character from dungeons & dragons long ago. Just that this rat is huuuge 0_o

I haven't painted furry minis for a long time, so I also have a question > how do you higlight hair and fur properly?

Ah Planescape, that brings me back. Saw a robot somewhere on this forum that reminded me of a Modron. Any how, back to your question.

Assuming that the models Hair/Fur have the same base cooler I do like this.

1. Base cote, in this case Codex Grey
  2. Washes, I tend to use Badab Black and/or Devlan Mud, on the coffin I used Thraka Green as base cote and Devlan Mud on that just a little bit before the wash wear dry. I used Badab Black on the rat.
  3. Some really fast strokes with a large dry brush (“the head of the brush” is about 1cm wide) with the same colour I have just darkened with a wash.
  4. Dry brush Fortress Gray with a medium or small brush, depends on the size of the model but most on how big/small the details you like to bring out are.
  5. Then a dry brush with 50/50 Fortress Gray and Skull White with the large brush, just 1-3 stokes per side and almost no cooler in the brush.
  6. Then I paint the details eyes/ears and so on and just hide my mistakes behind a highlight of Fortress Gray. And sense you paint on this highlights the cooler tends to get little brighter then the dry brushed highlights. Makin the lines on the ear, or what you have, and makes it easier for the eye to spot and stand out from the rest of the highlights. At lest that’s the general idée. *grin*

And that’s pretty much how I paint all my duds, abuse washes and inks and dry brush it, cross my fingers and hop that the base make the model look cool. *smug*

My skills with a camera… a lot of the highlights where lost with the flash. Well these pictures will have to do until I can get some one that knows that they are doing to take some new. But on the up side, I will probably be done with the other 16 models I have on my painting station by then. Well even though it’s a lousy quality, I hop you enjoy the pictures any way!

post-9967-1391192652244_thumb.jpg

post-9967-13911926521828_thumb.jpg

post-9967-1391192652201_thumb.jpg

post-9967-13911926522228_thumb.jpg

Love the bases on the Gremlins. Is that cork?

Yeah its crok. The wood is matches and “ice cream sticks” (don’t know the eng word for it). And the tar pit is green stuff and balls of green stuff stuck down in it. Sand and rocks and some turfs from army painter.

Edited by Bahoola

That is some rather nice painting you've done there. Personally I am not a big fan of glossy varnish so would suggest throwing a coat of Matte Varnish on (Testors Dull Coat is the product du jour for this though Frylon Matte Varnish also comes highly recommended) though if you like it that is all that really matters. The bases are particularly well done (especially the pea soup looking swamp) though the reeds look a bit to thick for my tastes (I generally use the thinner and longer railroad grasses but to each his own).

Your pictures aren't really that bad but if you are looking for some pointers I have collected a few in my blog entries on here.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10033[/ATTACH]

Going for a swim obviously. Love the sign as well.

That is some rather nice painting you've done there. Personally I am not a big fan of glossy varnish so would suggest throwing a coat of Matte Varnish on (Testors Dull Coat is the product du jour for this though Frylon Matte Varnish also comes highly recommended) though if you like it that is all that really matters.

Yeah that’s the one that's really bugs me. I have only used glossy varnish on the “pea soup looking swamp” and that's after I have sprayed the models with Army Painters Anti-Shine spray, and I quote “super matt Vanish for miniatures and models”. Might just be my skills with the camera ones ageing.

The bases are particularly well done (especially the pea soup looking swamp) though the reeds look a bit to thick for my tastes (I generally use the thinner and longer railroad grasses but to each his own).

Yeah I definitely understand what you mean. The problem I ran in to where that I used paperclips to elevate the skeeters from the base and could not hide it in a satisfaction way with thinner reeds. And I wanted some thing robust as paperclips (with plastic around it so I could paint it) sense it’s for gaming and will take some hits.

Your pictures aren't really that bad but if you are looking for some pointers I have collected a few in my blog entries on here.

Where?! I’m sorry, I’m fairly new on this forum, how do I get to your blog from here?

Going for a swim obviously. Love the sign as well.

Yeah, the artist behind the model sculpted two things on the inside of the Warpig, “Sequel like a pig boy” and “Pork Chop Express”. Had to show that artist some love!

Edited by Bahoola
eheee, My grammar isn’t what it “some woord” be…

Here you go.

Blog Entries

Thank you! I have painted Ophelia (though she is down at the club at the moment), Francois and Pere as well now, so will try that out and get the pictures uploaded as soon as possible. And replace the old ones when I bet the hang of it.

Excellent basing, Its the area where i am weakest. :(

Thank you, I’m experimenting in with different ways do follow the theme. One of the most important things when making a good base is to add different heights on it. A turf and a/or a rock and it’s not a flat surfs any more and it makes all the difference. (if u not going for a wooden floor or some thing like that)