Paint sets

grey3

Hey everyone. I'm looking into buying a paint set, some big, but not too pricey. I really want to be able to just have all the colors I could need for painting my figs (adepticon is coming up and I have three guild crews that need painted perty). Anyone have any suggestions on a set? What do you feel is the best bang for the buck? Thanks guys!

I really like the Army Painter warpaints - and they have two sets available currently, one for about $30 and the full range set for $125. There are other great paints out there, but as far as kits go, I think these really do a great job of getting everything you would want to begin with. I know my LGS carries this line, so you may be able to get them locally also.

Honestly? I wouldn't look at a large paint set :-\

I would come up with a color palette, and then depending on how detailed you want to get look at your middle color, and go 2 colors lighter and darker (if you want to get decently detailed with your shading and blending). Then I would shop around to see what company hits you right with price and colors... I make most of my paint choices on the fly, so I buy what my flgs has, which means GW stores, so I put together their paint by numbers system of base color, shade (wash), layer 1, dry brush, glaze... but if you're putting 5 colors on a mini, that can get expensive...

The alternative, if you want simple colors, look at the premade paint sets for Warmachine and Hordes, they have a couple of different colors including flesh and metallic paints. You could easily pick up washes or inks if you wanted it (and most people would recommend that lol).

Honestly? I wouldn't look at a large paint set :-\

I would come up with a color palette, and then depending on how detailed you want to get look at your middle color, and go 2 colors lighter and darker (if you want to get decently detailed with your shading and blending). Then I would shop around to see what company hits you right with price and colors... I make most of my paint choices on the fly, so I buy what my flgs has, which means GW stores, so I put together their paint by numbers system of base color, shade (wash), layer 1, dry brush, glaze... but if you're putting 5 colors on a mini, that can get expensive...

The alternative, if you want simple colors, look at the premade paint sets for Warmachine and Hordes, they have a couple of different colors including flesh and metallic paints. You could easily pick up washes or inks if you wanted it (and most people would recommend that lol).

Reaper Master Series paints are another great option for doing this as you can purchase them in "triads" of colors that will have the shade, base and highlight. Grab a few for your favored scheme then augment later on with additional purchases. I really like these paints as they are great for any level of painter.

If I was to start in the hobby again, I'd definitely start by picking the Army Painter set. Y"ou have all the colors you're going to need at the beginning. The paints have excellent consistency and are packed in dropper bottles which makes using them much easier. Their coverage is also very good and washes are excellent too.

Reaper Master Series paints are another great option for doing this as you can purchase them in "triads" of colors that will have the shade, base and highlight. Grab a few for your favored scheme then augment later on with additional purchases. I really like these paints as they are great for any level of painter.

They also have the build you own paint set option, 54 paints of your choice plus a caddy for just under $200

http://www.reapermini.com/BuildYourOwnPaintSet