How to kill Pandora

Hunter-thom

Using Sonnia is a good start, you would need to clump your crew close so Pandora cannot cast spells on them but what you are really looking for are models that do not need to attack directly.

Santiago is a good choice with bulletstorm (Pulse damage) Sonnia flame-blasting off models near Pandora.

A few witchlings with disrupt magic near her will annoy the Pandora player no end.

What models do you have at the moment?

Try and keep some cards in hand for Advanced Counter spell - if you keep key models near her, this will severely limit what Pandora can do, as most of her Wp based stuff comes from spells (pretty much everything apart from Incite / Pacify). Sonnia is great against Pandora, as she can blast off other models and hurt Pandora without needing to test. If this requires blasting your own Witchlings - so be it...

Ortegas (all apart from Papa) are good against her because of Stubborn. Witchlings in her grill will annoy Pandora as well - their death blasts will also hurt her with needing to test. The Handler will allow you to get the Witchlings there faster...

I'd also use some Dogs as a fast delivery system (for either blasts, melee attacks or to turn into additional Witchlings), but I would leave Ryle at home - until he kills a model, he's extremely weak against Pandora.

The Avatar is really good as well - plenty of ways to deal damage without attacking Pandora directly and the Counter spell gets even better, as you can inflict damage with it...

So you think just take the handler and stalkers and go hard at her with some dogs to try and get some blasts of on her. would the pale rider or nino help? would the riders ricochet trigger by pass pandora wp duel to target ability

Nino would be fine for picking off some of her minions (he wouldn't be great at shooting Pandora herself) which could be useful for some of the more annoying minions that hide at the back. The Rider could fill a similar sort of role, but is probably weaker vs Pandora as she bypasses lots of his defenses by ignoring immune to influence and taking 1 wound at a time with Wp duels. His Wp 6 isn't terrible, but Nino would have 8 on the defense...

Also, when trying to create a bubble around Sonnia that you can protect from spells, Nino's more static nature is more useful, and the Rider's mobility would be wasted.

Stalkers are great, as they are relatively quick, explode when they die, and can put up the Disrupt magic aura every turn (as they have no other (0) actions) which can mess with Pandora once they get in close. The real secret though is just not to attack her directly at all though - if she wins the required Wp duel, she pushes away and you lose your chance - Kill her minions, get Witchlings near her, and hit her with blasts, keep some tomes in hand to protect your key models from her spells.

Although I am not a Sonia player, I have played as and against Pandora enough times that I made some specific rules for fighting her, since she is so counter intuitive.

1) Do not target Pandora -- Indirect damage is fine, and I once played against a Sonia player with Pandy and all he did was blast off of her own Witchling. (He then Turned the Almost dead Witchling into a full health one)

2) Go for the strategy/schemes -- I understand that this has been said to death, but it is so imperative that you focus on your strategy when playing against her that it bears repeating. Also try to think your Schemes in contrast to how Pandy plays, like taking Frame for Murder on a cheap model, casting Violation on it and having it lose the last wound to Pandoras, Emotional Trauma.

3) Stay more than 2 inches apart from each other but not more than 4 (3 from Sonia would help) -- This gives Pandora a little less mobility, specially if you move to one side of the board (strategy permit). The reason you don't want to be within 2 inches from each other is her Project Emotions Spell (Blasts are roughly 2 inches)

4) Kill off her crew -- Most of the Pandora crews are Wp based, and usually plan to kill you based on collateral damage from Emotional Trauma.

5) Stay calm -- Frustration is the number one strength of fighting NPE masters. When you actually stop and think what you could have done, you start finding flaws on her actions.

This won't guarantee you wins against Pandora all the time but it will increase your chances significantly. Hopefully these rules can help you do better. I know they did for me.

Ryle will be in trouble i think. since his min strike range is 12, same as the rider. santiago is what i really need but i don't have him, failling that i would probably take von shill, but as i have don't have either, it will be stalkers hounds and a handler. if i can get a hound close in the early turn i can hopefully target it will a fire ball get the to blasts of on a mid damage and the violate him hopefully getting the new stalkers pulse up before pandora can get away. repeat strat with second hound. using my other stalkers and handler to go for strat and schemes....

hmmm, this pandora crew i'm going to be playing against has coppelius in it and i'm not sure who else but the guys play style kind of revolves alot around terror test and getting the enemy to fall back i have no idea who else will be in the crew. how is the best way to combat this play style and depending on starts and schemes would it affect my crew choices?????

hmmm, this pandora crew i'm going to be playing against has coppelius in it and i'm not sure who else but the guys play style kind of revolves alot around terror test and getting the enemy to fall back i have no idea who else will be in the crew. how is the best way to combat this play style and depending on starts and schemes would it affect my crew choices?????

In general, no it doesn't change any of the things mentioned. Specifically, your target priority is Coppelius. Kill Coppelius as soon as the option is open!

I prefer blasting off Raptors to Hounds, since their Easy to Wound makes it more likely to get severe damage. Remember that Flame Burst blast counters can start up to two inches away, which means a Raptor (or Hound, if you are sure you can cheat the damage) can be about seven inches away and that third blast marker can still catch what you're after.

If Terror tests are going to be a thing, bring at least one Watcher. (I like to bring two) Turning off the Terrifying ability can be really huge, as can looking at a couple cards a turn. Could also be an argument for the Pale Rider, with range damage that could take Coppelius out.

nino will go after coppelius i think. i may try and get him to burn through his hand and the go for a head shot.... the pale rider is helpfull in grabing objectives and chasing things down. i'm really wishing i had a watcher and some more ortegas. i do have the exorcist and if his walk wasn't so crappy and his damage output was a little better he might be helpfull. but..... that 3 walk is a killer and the fact that if your not fight undead or spirits he isn't that great.

I know you have said that you only have Sonnia and some models for her, but the simple answer to your question is: Perdita.

She has an ability to ignore the wp/wp duel to target her, so it is just a SS off where your combat of 7 vs Pandora's DF of 2 means she dies fast.

Sonnia can do well against Pandora.

Your ideal game involves you hitting his minions with flame burst, and putting the blasts onto Pandora.

Witchling stalkers that blow up will hurt Pandora. Anythign which does damage without targetting will make a mess of Pandora if she isn't careful.

Coppellius can be nasty. But if you target him with the flame bursts that will go onto Pandora, you'll be doing well. What ever kills him wil take plenty of damage, but if you manage it with a witchiling stalker, then you get your blast to hopefully hurt Pandora.

Another way to avoid the Terrifying, fall back set up it looks liek your opponent has gone for is to use Constructs. They don't have to take terrifying tests.

The Pale rider could be quite useful for this.

Coppelius is a nightmare, which is somethign the exocist is useful against. He is slow, but depending on your stratergy he might be a viable option.

I know you have said that you only have Sonnia and some models for her, but the simple answer to your question is: Perdita.

Perdita is never the answer to the Question "What should I take with Sonnia to beat Pandora"... Unless you're playing in a brawl... She is good against her, but so is Sonnia...

hahaha HAHA after all of that prep and this thread.... he pull out... CHOMPY. hahaha well i think it should make some good reading for anyone having trouble with pandora. the strat was shared Contain Power and i thought great now i'm going to have to kill dreamer and then chompy.... but after some reading i discovered with the dreamers ca 7 and only 3 wounds, nice. then chompy got fire balled with a damage flip that saw the red joker and that was the end off him. sonnia did die later killed by coppelius. still game was mine. pity about her df4.... :)

nino will go after coppelius i think. i may try and get him to burn through his hand and the go for a head shot.... the pale rider is helpfull in grabing objectives and chasing things down. i'm really wishing i had a watcher and some more ortegas. i do have the exorcist and if his walk wasn't so crappy and his damage output was a little better he might be helpfull. but..... that 3 walk is a killer and the fact that if your not fight undead or spirits he isn't that great.

Yeah, when I take the Exorcist I tend to pair him with a Guardian. "Driven By Purpose" is a bit more palatable when the Guardian can soak the wounds. It's still not huge, but it's a bit more movement.