First time Miniatures player and painter inside.

Rhonlore

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-11315-13911925881987_thumb.jpg

Aww isn't he adorable?! :D I like the way he turned out. The way I took the photo screwed up the color balance a bit but yeah...

SO MUCH BETTER than my Belles.

Edit: Finished up Seamus as well

post-11315-13911925883101_thumb.jpg

If I have the balls enough I might draw the Crow symbol on his hat in some fashion. I somehow doubt I'll go that far.

Edited by Rhonlore

I'll go out on a limb and say that Bete is your best work so far (and with a very challenging color to paint). The only real criticism is the blood splatters are a bit unconvincing (they are two large and uniform). I would recommend looking over the Wyrd Chronicles Volume 2 Page 71 for a good tutorial on how to make the effect a bit more realistic.

Not gunna lie, I'm disappointed with the way the blood splatters turned out. I was disappointed with them as soon as I had done it! I'll take a look at the recommended page and see if I can fix her up tomorrow.

Whatever you do dont strip it (it is very well done).

I would also recommend picking up a bottle of Tamiya Clear Red to make the blood effect more viscous and slick looking (like fresh blood).

I would also recommend more of the Arterial spray (think the scene from Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow when Johnny Depp is hacking at the hangman's tree) than the "frothy" chest wound type of bleeding.

• 1 month later...

Black Primer. Build up the grey/white places first by doing lots of thin layers. Mix the white/grey tone into some black and keep adding white as you go up the accentuated parts of the model. Once that is finished, try to get a clean and firm coating of the red tone in the places you want it. Then apply the red paint thinned out to places nearby for the glow effect and then add more and more orange tones to the original red spots to make those look brighter than the red glow effect.

Thank you evilbleachman, I will do my best to apply thin layers. That's probably the one main skill I have yet to figure out.

Progress photos will be forthcoming as I work on it.

Do you use any paint additives? A bit of Flow Improver goes a long way toward thining paints (along with Matte and Gloss mediums).

I can't say I have ever considered using Flow Improver. I havent heard of either the Matte or Gloss mediums either. Money is exceptionally tight right now, I lost track of finances so I have to work with what I've got.

Anyway, here is the work so far. Mostly just trying to figure out which parts are which is why some of the color is screwed, so touchups will happen before I move on.

post-11315-13911926722325_thumb.jpg

post-11315-13911926721458_thumb.jpg

post-11315-13911926721882_thumb.jpg

Excuse the double post.

Added some red to figure out how I want to define the model.

post-11315-13911926730231_thumb.jpgIMG_20121229_160049.jpg

I'm happy I was able to get the red runes in his horns. I took some red paint and super diluted it like a wash. Unfortunately the black got a little washed out so I had to drybrush back the dark color, but I think it turned out well.

Well you can pick up Flow Improver, Matte and Gloss Mediums at most arts & crafts stores. Though the initial purchase can be a bit high (about $25.00) it will last you a very long time.

In the mean time however you can use Distilled Water to thin them a bit (if you go to far you may notice "chalking" of the paint and some issues with adhesion).

Honestly, I'd just make sure you have some reasonable quality brushes and stick with tap water for now, while you learn how to use your brushes and paint to best effect. I know plenty of top end painters who don't use much more than that!

The additives are good when you know what you want them to do, but if you're just learning painting I'd honestly stick with the basics until you feel confident that you've got them worked out to your satisfaction,. Anything more gets expensive and complicated fast, and won't help your skills develop at this point.

Thank you both for your input.

So far I have been using mostly just plain old tap water with some eye droppers to help me dilute the paint. Seems to be working well enough, especially since my hands are still not quite dexterous enough yet, but I do feel more confident than I did when I started.

I hope to have the Dead Rider finished up by next Saturday. This will also be the first model where I am going to be doing the base as well, so I look forward to that challenge.