Climbable terrain

Limelizard

When should terrain be climbable? I have found mix feelings about this. A lot of people I know would like to just make all terrain climbable every game. I feel that not all terrain should be climbable because that detracts from things that have flight, arachnid, float, and spirit. Those abilities and characteristics should have an advantage over models that don't have them. I find people would like to make terrain climbable just because their opponent has models with those abilities. What are peoples opinions about climbable.

I allow climbing over everything. Flyers, floaters and climbers still have the advantage of being able to do it a lot quicker, but they aren't almost immune to any form of reprisal by keeping on the move when something finally gets to the ladder that lets it go up.

But I'm also in the camp of not having anything that is taller than 3" and doesn't have anything in between to disallow immune by flight syndrome.

I tend to use a lot of city terrain, which means I have walls everywhere. If they are not climbable, several crews are in serious trouble, so generally everything is climbable in city terrain. There are plenty of stairs so that clever deployment and positioning can take advantage of these, but the fact that everything is climbable certainly does not leave models with Float or Flight feeling left out. With everything else having to climb, slowly, these models can move freely. Bear in mind that they ignore changes in elevation, so a 1" move for a model with Flight or Float can put them on top of a 10" high building. Or at the foot of one.

I don't like all-climbable terrains, however, it's very frustrating to have a shooty model camped on a roof and nothing in your crew to reach it; to avoid this I try to make sure tall buildings have an access for all, flat roofs have access points, and slopped roofs are Dangerous with the following profile: -/-/Slide, so if a model finishes an action on a slopped roof they make a Dangerous flip and if they slide off then make a fall flip (most of the buildings we play are Ht 3 at least), the price to pay to mess about on old Victorian tile roofs... :)

Still, thematically, I think it just makes sense sometimes for pretty much everything to be climbable for certain models.

The prospect of Baby Kade skittering up a sheer wall to get at something soft and worth stabbing just seems right.

Or completely wrong, if you don't like nightmares.

I'm going to go curl up in the corner and forget I ever saw "Trainspotting", now.

On the flip side of lime lizards coin, she's not, as she's wont to do, giving the whole story.

She has a flyer that she ALWAYS takes, and has had a couple of games where she's kept him on top of terrain where NO ONE had a chance to stop him.

As was pointed out, all terrain should be climbable in some fashion....while the models with fly/float/etc clearly get a speed advantage. Ladders aren't a good example as most folks equate them to stairs, and the RM is pretty clear there.

I guess the best advice is TALK TO YOUR OPPONENT BEFORE THE GAME STARTS!!

PS - keep in mind that we are playing a game that IS NOT BASED IN REALITY!!

We are playing amazing folks who can do amazing things!

(During one of our games, LL once pointed to the wall of our shop and said "ok...climb that wall"

Lol!

Edited by Kintaro