Ten Thunder WIP

edonil

So, started working on my Ten Thunders stuff that's shown up. Got everything assembled and primed, started painting them up. Have to say, love the plastics, although some of the fiddly details (CURSE YOU ARCHERS) are...annoying. Started painting Kang, to try to figure out the skin recipe, and Yamaziko, to test out my fabric color.

First up is Kang. This was a pretty simple recipe, basecoat of Tallarn Flesh, drybrush of Bleached Bone and a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. Not the most complicated thing, but it does seem to work. I think the photo may be a touch dark, but I'm not sure.

Yamaziko is an attempt at an old technique I did a long time ago, and while I'm pretty happy with the result, I do think it needs a few touchups to improve it. I did a basecoat of Boltgun Metal, with a wash of Purple Ink over it. I want to redo it with a highlight of Mithril Silver over the top edges, and then wash it to give it some more definition.

Any feedback is more than welcome. :)

post-6969-13911924967748_thumb.jpg

post-6969-13911924967937_thumb.jpg

Kang looks awesome so far man, skins come out lovely. And I've never seen drybrushing look quite so smooth on skin, If I tried it it would be horrific, so kudos for that! The one thing I'd suggest is to brighten the highlights a touch more on the face, it draws more focus that way. But that's a minor tweak that's based on competition and display painting work, and totally unnecessary really as he looks good now.

I think you're right, yamaziko does need a bit more brightness on the highlights, but it's going to look gorgeous when it's done. Did you pick your second colour for her?

I was going to do a matte yellow, but then I discovered that the old lady is wearing a robe, not a cape! Makes it kinda hard to do anything significant with a secondary, unfortunately. I think I'll do it for the inside of her robe. That, or I'll stick the secondary color as part of her lamp. Still debating on the cold fire for the Emberling, Shang and the Fire Gamin when they show up...

The metal + wash idea on the silk is a great idea. I may have to borrow it when my 10T stuff comes in. Kang's skin looks good, but I agree than an extra bit of highlighting on the face would be good, especially the left side of his face seems to have taken the wash particularly hard. Myself, I can't reconcile the sledgehammer option with Kang, as his card specifically states that his melee weapon is a shovel, but that's Wyrd's fault for giving the extra customization option. Curse you for your thoughtfulness, Wyrd! ;)

Thanks everyone! Yeah, the gaps are really annoying...never been able to deal with those well on anything. Got a little more done, but I haven't gotten any more photos. Need to get some more done, then I'll have another batch of photos to put up. Focusing on Mei Fang, Kang, and the Rail Workers, because I want to run them in a tourney next week. Need to figure out basing for them, though.

Try liquid green stuff. Applies with paint brush and takes minutes.

It works well for most things but the gap on the arm of Yamziko is just a pain. Nothing seems to conceal it really well and still retain the flow of the robes.

Overall I am really liking these. As far as the Old Lady and what she was wearing. Whether is a cloak or a robe is kinda hard to tell. I ended up giving her different color paints to help break up a green cloak. The way the inside model is sculpted you can get away with going either way honestly.

Alright, here's some updates. Need to touch up Kang's face, noticed some spots where the wash went on really weird, that and I messed up his eyes, unfortunately. Also the colors on the pants are a little off, bad lighting, but oh well. GIMP definitely helped, but it's supposed to be a little more green.

post-6969-13911924986863_thumb.jpg

post-6969-13911924986607_thumb.jpg

Yeah. The apron is a khaki color highlighted up, with a brown and a black wash over it, and the pants are pretty similar. With the Rail Crew, I wanted to make them look like they'd been working, so I decided to paint them up dirty. Misaki and her crew will probably end up looking cleaner. I'm going to try (and probably fail) to do the purple velvet color as freehand tattoos on the Rail Crew (and the Black Sheep when they come out). That way they'll be distinct, but tied together.

One of the biggest lessons in painting I've taken to heart over the years...sometimes, a simpler technique is the only way to get a particular effect. I love layer painting, it's very relaxing, but it doesn't lend itself easily to making something look 'dirty'.