C Hoffman, Copelius what's the point?

JisaacT

It is in reference to a book titled "Der Sandmann" which was written by Hoffman, on of the characters is named coppelius. The story refers to the Sandman who steals childrens eyes to feed his own children on the moon.

Or it could refer to an opera "The Tales of Hoffman" which is also based on "Der Sandman", however Coppelius in this story sells eyes to Hoffman to use in the robotic girl he is making.

The opera has a more steampunk feel to it so it might be from that one however the model has more of a feel from the book. Wyrd does this a lot with their minis there are a lot of classical references within their game. I don't think there is any real reason game wise for this connection other than that.

I was referring to the feel of the clockwork automaton that is in the opera and its similarities to the creations that are in Malifaux, like the mannequins. The automatons have a steampunk feel not necessarily the whole opera. However the last time I worked on "The Tales of Hoffman" that scene had a very steampunk feel to it, the singer even got old metal roller skates and rolled around instead of walking. I had to create lots of interesting looking machines and gears to decorate Spalanzani's lab with as well, it was a lot of fun to make life size steampunk instead of in miniature. The stories of his other two loves were decidedly not steampunk though.

Edited by JoeB

On the original question, Coppelius brings some very interesting synergy to the game when he is paired with a hunter. As a paralyzed model does not get to activate but instead "Skips its activation", the Hunter gets its benefits when targeting models that were paralyzed.