Ozz's painting blog.

Ozz

I am going to try and start to post links to my work on here, and see if i can use any feed back that is offered to get better :)

First off, i am painting Misaki, and both the Vicks to try to have them ready for next weeks demos. I have started Misaki for now, the scheme is stolen from this thread:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?12980-Master-s-Touch-Entries-(pic-heavy)

She is somewhere on that first page :)

IMAG0002.jpg

The blue is almost done on her, then i need to highlight the purple, and then move onto the rest of the model :) My first attempt at blending the colours properly on a model. (or well second but the first was just a snake on a Bayou base so does not count:P)

Let me know what you think, and for the most part i think i will just post completed models, unless people request the odd WIP shot as this first one is :)

Three images for you Kev,

Seamus, no flash

IMAG0413_zps9fcdc022.jpg

Seamus with flash.

IMAG0412_zpse24a69ef.jpg

Nicodem

IMAG0410_zps68251c9a.jpg

Edited by Ozz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be up tonight, Hair, Shoes Rock and base to finish, i just hope the purple shows up better in the next set of pics now its done:)

---------- Post added 07-27-2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-26-2012 at 10:52 PM ----------

This is the finished Misaki:

IMAG0005.jpg

She looks a little more plain that i had hoped in the picture, and i have cleaned the sand up a little bit since the pic, but up close she looks good and i am happy enough with her. Bar the face and hair, but i just do nto have the energy generally to do ether of those properly:(

What do you think?

Ok slow progress on gun vick, but only a little done for sword vick, but its moving along :)

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Ok got her finished now, this would be Gun vick.

IMAG0012.jpg

I like her apart from the brown straps on her legs :( My favourite part is her hair, as hers looks in my opinion quite good, but i almost always fail at painting the hair:P

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Now to try and finish sword vick tomorrow, and perhaps Hans by Wednesday and then possibly on to Von Schill and his friends :) We shall see.

Ok got the Sword Vick finished slower than planned, but here she is:

IMAG0013.jpg

Sorry for the pants photo, but it was the best i could seem to manage atm, not sure why :(

And it seems i lied before it is not Hans to go next, i need to get the Ronin started :)

And i have also ordered a book i have had recommended to me which should help with some painting tricks and creating some of my own custom bases perhaps:) But we shall see (im getting terribly bored with these grass & sand bases i keep using).

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

I do have a question about how to paint the Ronnin actually.

Do you think they are better each as an individual paint scheme?

Should they match each other, but be separate from the Vicks?

Or should they all match the Vicks?

Main one im thinking of is the red coat on gun vick, as i like how that looks but i tend to think they being outcasts should have very little to unify them, and so wanted other peoples opinions for them? :)

Looks like you're making some good progress here! Have you played around with washes much? I find they can add a lot of depth to a model without too much extra work.

I also wouldn't be afraid to try some more extreme highlights. I often do fairly subtle shading myself, but when the models are down on the table, a lot of my hard work is lost unless you get up close. I've started experimenting with very dark shades in the recesses, even black on jackets, capes, etc., and it really helps your main color pop.

As for the color scheme, I think it's really personal preference. I've painted my ronin and Vikis all different colors (although fairly complimentary). I would be more concerned with making your bases unified. In my mind Ronin are solitary guns/swords for hire that are in it for themselves, not to be part of a team. That being said, some people love the unity of a crew that uses the same colors. I say have fun and make each one unique.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more.

In general I do tend to use washes I just don't really know what to use for those models so I have left them off mostly bar the metal on sword Vick and the hair for both vicks and the flesh. As for more extreme highlights, are you meaning to just go much lighter in smaller areas?

And thanks for saying that i could maybe do with doing more extreme highlights, i have a tendency to think that my final ones are always to light, so nice to know i am mistaken:)

And thanks for the link to your crew, they look great :D

Edited by Ozz

And as i was bored and felt like it this is just a random link to my Malifaux shelf:

IMAG0023.jpg

Missing a fair chunk of stuff, lots of guild in my case atm, along with Lilith and co who fill the big hole in the middle of the shelf, and i have models on my painting table and away with Mitch to be painted as metal and pig flesh i had no ideas how to do properly for an entire model :)

Thanks, @Ozz -

I know that I've been trying to teach myself to over-exaggerate highlights. It doesn't come naturally, especially when you are looking at a model so close up while painting and you can see the subtle highlighting that you are doing. I try to remember how far away they can look on the table, and it's nice to have those highlights pop from a distance.

I think that blocking out the main colors can be the most difficult and time consuming part, and you do that very well. A couple of very dark strokes in the folds of the fabric, and a wash here or there, and you'd be well on your way to very dynamic looking models. Keep up the good work, and don't be afraid to be too bold. Especially after it dries, I'm always surprised at how "normal" too much highlighting can look. It's like make-up on movie actors - close up might be a little much, but on screen they just look like important characters. :)

Ok, got a Ronin painted in time for going to attempt to run some demos yesterday and here she is, started out as my least favourite of the three models, and by the time i was done i now think she is my Favourite :P Kind of sad i wanted better ones to do later, but oh well:P

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

Here is a pic of a crew, or more just a pile of mercs + the vicks :)

IMAG0031.jpg

Taelor was supposed to be visible at the back there but she just manages to stay hidden as i didn't look well enough when i took the photo :P

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Now instead of doing hans or the other Ronin, as i have so far been thinking and saying i would do, i am moving onto some buildings as i need to get more terrain done for demos so i have 1 Garden of Morr and a second one coming as i thought they looked cool, though it is smaller than i though.

IMAG0033.jpg

That is what i have so far, painted it grey, and painted all the Skulls & bones on the bases with a base coat in an attempt to make them look older, still need to do the ones on the buildings and vines and flowers and metal and stuff. But what i am unsure of is how to do the roof, as i don't want to leave it grey like the rest of the building, but i can not think of how to paint it that would fit with the stone, so if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68276363@N02/6322010004/

That is a link to one i like but i have no clue how to do it, and i think i may have done the grey on mine to dark anyway for that roof :)

Edited by Ozz

• 2 weeks later...

Ok its buildings and terrain, and i hate to paint them so this is probably all that will be done for them. Lots of grey and kind of simple but i think they look Ok as they are.

IMAG0039.jpg

Lets see what other people think. I have a second one of these to do + all the walls then i can get back to actual models :)

Ok, second set done, not as tidy as the first. Need to do the walls for both sets at some point, but i hate doing terrain so for now i shall move back onto proper models, who knows what next, i have far to many staring at me currently.

2 Ronnin, 1 currently has purple pants so that's a cheat start for me.

I have Ramos, and his 9 little spiders (and like 40 bases for his crew and a levi crew when i get around to them) And his avatar. Oh and a Steamborg executioner, but i need to finish assembling him, im scared to touch him now in case his legs break off :(

Kirai Avatar

Lilith Avatar

Some hordes stuff, Thagrosh, Lylyth (spelt wqrong but its her name so i guess it is how it must be :( ) 2 shredders and the gigantic metal 16 piece Hydra that took me three hrs to assemble and i hate it! :( (though it does make playing bigger games easy at 12 points)

and finally

A blue scribes model

That is the contents of my painting Desk, if anyone wants to see something done i may try that first other wise its something random off there (though out of malifaux section, dont have strength to paint non malifaux stuff atm, as they dont interest me)

Here is my Second Ronin now :)

IMAG0042.jpg

Just the one left now:) And i like this pic, first off i got the flash to work on my phone some how, no idea what i did, but random button pressing does work eventually:P And second, the gloves look better in the pic over irl (they look really pants but don't have the energy to bother re doing them)

Thanks Iamwyrd:D

And as i was bored, i decided to photo some of my crews, ones done by me and ones done by other people. but i got bored so didn't get finished but here are the ones i did :)

Colette, all done by me, though i still need to paint something on one Doves card, they are all done :)

IMAG0047.jpg

Next up is all my Nephilim to go with Lilith bar 1 lelu:

IMAG0051.jpg

Lelu and Lilitu were painted by a friend of mine on here called Rhaksha on these forums.

This is the rest of my Neverborn, or what i could fit of it in the pic anyway :)

IMAG0049.jpg

Zoraida and Zoraida's Avatar were however painted by Mitch Harrison Aka Stern on the forums :)

Som'er & Ophelia with some pigs

IMAG0045.jpg

These were all painted by Stern, bar the 4 Bayou gremlins and Som'er who were painted by someone off the magical world of eBay.

Hoffman and co.

IMAG0048.jpg

And these were all painted by Stern as well.

I have some dead stuff painted, a fair bit of guild painted and some Outcasts to show when i have the patience to do this again :) mostly my Demo crews left to go on here now:)

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Pics looked a lot brighter as i took them, sorry :(

Finished all the stuff i am going to paint for the Vicks for now, Hans and Von Schill's box left for mercs. Oh and how could i forget the three Ten thunders men:) Oops :P

Here is a pic of the third and final Ronin:

IMAG0052.jpg

And a pic of all three Ronin together:

IMAG0056.jpg

Likely to come soon will be Kirai's Avatar and Liliths Avatar.

Ok last update for today, an almost finished Kirai Avatar, need to do her base and possibly a little more to her. Probably just need to put some matt varnish on her and that should do to take off the shine of the new washes i have. (the new GW stuff, i learnt i like the red one bar the shine)

Also, i made a very first attempt at asian skin, please let me know if you think it worked, if you can see it in the pic? :)

I was however quite happy with her until i took the picture, but having seen the pic, the red vs green looks odd. But lets see what other people think:)

IMAG0057.jpg

Here is the finished version of Kirai Avatar:

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

And next is Lilith's avatar, though i think she could do with something around the base of the tree, does anyone have ideas? What i have to hand is Static Grass, Sand, and three colours of clump foliage, i just dont know what to do with any of them to make it look like there is more to it, but mine feels plane and lacking colour atm :(

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Also, decided that the next model to paint shall be molly, but i have no idea of what colour to paint her, i have not been making anything match with ressurs (bar kirai crew but i have painted one model of that myself) Only thing is all masters have had some purple on them, so im thinking the little bits around the bottom of her dress to be a purple/pink (one of the two i did for Seamus we shall see) I just need to find a colour to go with purple sat on top of it, does anyone have any ideas? :)

Ok now i have Molly, Seamlessly stolen from Huang Da Wei here:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?32616-Good-golly-goth-Molly

Mine was not supposed to look as much like that one as it ended up, i tried to make her be a very very dark blue, but still just noticeable as blue, but it just looks black to me, which means i have learnt to paint black and have it stay black finally :D

Any way here is a couple of pics of Molly:

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Camera was not being kind though so it is not great on the pics side of things :(

41 bases done tonight, this was not a fun night! :P

IMAG0069.jpg

just need to clean up the edges, and then paint up some models to go on them :) Time for Ramos and Levi i guess, or at least a start on them both :)

Just in case anyone was interested, the bases were from eBay under the listing:

Battlefield Debris resin bases great for Malifaux, Warmachine and Hordes, no idea who they are by.

Edited by Ozz

Ok, today i have painted Ramos and his Avatar, and used two of my newly painted bases, and was surprised at how easily they fitted on them :D

(Sort of expected Ramos Avatar to be a pain, but i just drilled 4 holes in and the legs stuck nicely :) Just i should have made the holes after painting him for where they ended up, as i snapped a leg off having to bed him into the right positions again :P

Anyway, here are some pics for you :)

Ramos

IMAG0073.jpg

Ramos Avatar

IMAG0072.jpg

Both Ramos and his Avatar together

IMAG0071.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

And also, do you think that the bases are good as they are or that they could do with some grass on them?

Edited by Ozz

Ok here is a couple of pics of the Seamborg Executioner on one of my many bases.

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

I have to say im finding these Ramos crew models strange, looking at them before i start painting them, the idea of painting them just seems tedious, but the further i get with them the more i start to like them, and by the end i love the models :D

Spiders will follow when i find some pins big enough to fit in the hole for my drill so they dont fall out every time they get picked up as i can not glue these into the base:( As currently my paper clips which i tend to use are to small :(

Anyway let me know what you think, all comments and criticisms welcome :D